Page 415 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 315365405411412413414415416417418419425465515915 ... LastLast
Results 6,211 to 6,225 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    So the first trade of the new Black Panther series came out this week and it only has issues 1-4 in it. Ta-Nehisi Coates must be really expensive if Marvel is THIS desperate to push it out to the bookstore crowd. Thought I'd check it out, but four issues? No. Why bother? It's bound to be an unfulfilling read. I'll wait for the inevitable better collection, an OHC or an omnibus.

Guess I'm just wondering if collecting only four issues of a new ongoing series into its first trade puts anybody else off from even starting it, or just me.
    The first arc is contained in the first four issues, and issue 5 only came out a few weeks ago, so it's understandable. At least it also comes with the first ever Black Panther appearance.

So the first trade of the new Black Panther series came out this week and it only has issues 1-4 in it. Ta-Nehisi Coates must be really expensive if Marvel is THIS desperate to push it out to the bookstore crowd. Thought I'd check it out, but four issues? No. Why bother? It's bound to be an unfulfilling read. I'll wait for the inevitable better collection, an OHC or an omnibus.

Guess I'm just wondering if collecting only four issues of a new ongoing series into its first trade puts anybody else off from even starting it, or just me.
    It would depend upon the cost. Also it makes sense since it is self-contained. There's also the possibility that the floppies aren't selling well and Marvel hopes a tpb will give the monthlies a push.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    It would depend upon the cost. Also it makes sense since it is self-contained. There's also the possibility that the floppies aren't selling well and Marvel hopes a tpb will give the monthlies a push.
    The blurb for #4 states its the end of the first story arc so it should make it pretty self contained. Sales of Black Panther have dropped 72% between #1 and #4 but it still sold 70k+ so its still a success sales-wise.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Oh, I'm sure they wouldn't collect less than a full story arc. It's still only four issues though. Of an ongoing, not a miniseries, which would be different for probably arbitrary reasons. Makes it feel exploitative somehow. I'm not sure it's rational but it just doesn't sit right with me.

Volume 2 is only 4 issues as well. I'm with you, waiting for OHC. I'm not spending money on 4 issue trades. The Old Man Logan ones are 4 issues as well.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mooch View Post
    Volume 2 is only 4 issues as well. I'm with you, waiting for OHC. I'm not spending money on 4 issue trades. The Old Man Logan ones are 4 issues as well.
    O was so stoked for OML, then I saw the Tarde price. It's Lemire and Sorrentino. It'll one hundred percent get OHCd, no reason to waste money.
    Cyclops was right

Marvel trades are getting really expensive, the only ones I've bothered with recently have been the Priest Black Panther collections otherwise it is OHC/Omnibus or Marvel Unlimited.

I noticed the $35 dollar epics are all but gone (I think the New Mutants 1 is the only future $35), $40 is the new $35.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I think Marvel are just trying to do anything they can to get people to spend money. The new generation of reader isn't wanting to wait around for monthly books. Releasing a trade allows people to jump in and get a full story without having to collect and wait so slowly.

The Netflix model, done poorly, for comics.

I think that's where the industry will eventually have to head. Series' released all at once, either digitally, or as an OHC, with a year between releases, with only a few characters still retaining their monthlies.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    O was so stoked for OML, then I saw the Tarde price. It's Lemire and Sorrentino. It'll one hundred percent get OHCd, no reason to waste money.
    I read OML monthly and really enjoy it. I would definitely upgrade if the released an OHC

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I have been reading Black Panther monthly and when it indicated the first arc was over, I was very "HUH"?
    It's clearly the first of a 3 part arc at 4 issues per arc. There is no way a conclusion is reached in the next 4 issues.

That said, I'm seeing myself dropping the title. It's way to socio-political, and not in the real world sense, in the MU way that's boring me. Internal alliances and betrayals within Wakanda that has not been a satisfactory opening of this new series for me. The most interesting part is the eventual resurrection of Shuri but it's not enough to keep me.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I have been reading Black Panther monthly and when it indicated the first arc was over, I was very "HUH"?
    It's clearly the first of a 3 part arc at 4 issues per arc. There is no way a conclusion is reached in the next 4 issues.

That said, I'm seeing myself dropping the title. It's way to socio-political, and not in the real world sense, in the MU way that's boring me. Internal alliances and betrayals within Wakanda that has not been a satisfactory opening of this new series for me. The most interesting part is the eventual resurrection of Shuri but it's not enough to keep me.
    I'm the opposite. I'm loving the social political angle of the book. I'm excited to see what the World of Wakanda book will bring, since it's clear this arc was to setup that book.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I think Marvel are just trying to do anything they can to get people to spend money. The new generation of reader isn't wanting to wait around for monthly books. Releasing a trade allows people to jump in and get a full story without having to collect and wait so slowly.

The Netflix model, done poorly, for comics.

I think that's where the industry will eventually have to head. Series' released all at once, either digitally, or as an OHC, with a year between releases, with only a few characters still retaining their monthlies.
    That is the model I am hoping for. I haven't been interested in the monthly comic for a looong time. I would love to see, for example, a 10 issue Captain America story released once a year or maybe even twice with alternating writers. At very least they could adopt a seasonal method like TV.

Dazed and Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    try the The Omnibus Collector's™ Comic Swap and Community group on facebook. Just joined myself and they look like a nice bunch with loads of selling and trading going on.
    Does this group still exist? I searched for it on Facebook, but can't seem to find it. . . .

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WayneLW View Post
    Does this group still exist? I searched for it on Facebook, but can't seem to find it. . . .
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/842348235814432/?

if that link doesnt work, then they've set it to secret.