Page 425 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 325375415421422423424425426427428429435475525925 ... LastLast
Results 6,361 to 6,375 of 20773

So I've read thru the McFarlane Spidey Omnibus the last week. It has been a real trip down memory lane. I remember being awed by the art as a kid as each new issue was published and they were nice to revisit for nostalgia. However, they don't particularly hold up well compared to today's modern comics. Overall I'd give this book a C- on the writing and an A- on the artwork.

For example, apparently the Torment arc takes place over one long night (I think). Why was Calypso using the Lizard? For what purpose? Revenge against Spidey for Kraven dying? It was never clear what her movies were. And the Lizard basically spent the entire arc, when he wasn't EATING PEOPLE, creeping around in shadows with grinning fangs with demonic glowing eyes. And the arc ends in a cliched explosion with nothing really resolved or explained. Next, we have the Hobgoblin 2-parter which was bizarre. Why was Hobgoblin kidnapping/killing people? It almost seemed pointlessly brutal and dark just for the sake of doing something dark and monstrous. By the third arc, while dark and depressing, McFarlane had progressed enough as a writer that the book reads a little better. I honestly think the Perceptions arc is the best in the Omnibus. It's not a great story by itself, just the best in this book.

It's also now obvious in retrospect, McFarlane is one really messed up dude. Many dark and disturbing themes used in Spawn were first featured in McFarlane's Spider-Man title. Kidnapping, torture, abuse and murder of children is repeated again and again across McFarlane's work. It's shown in the Hobgoblin 2-part story, immediately thereafter in the Perceptions arc (rather graphically in some cases where the characters actually dig up bodies) and again in Spawn. That's not something I think anyone finds enjoyable to read or think about yet McFarlane showcases it again and again.

I think this Omnibus best serves as a proto-Image/Spawn book. Check out the characters in the Sub City arc. One looks like a dead ringer for the Violator Clown which later showed up in Spawn. Also there are several analogues through the series that could easily have been Sam & Twitch and various garbage dwelling bums from Spawn. You can really tell that McFarlane was trying hard and the book sold a bazillion copies, so it was obviously a success but it's easier now to see the series' faults when revisited thru a modern lens.

===

Also congrats to the due up thread with the new baby! Take it slow ... like the other poster said don't go too crazy at first and give everything up cold turkey or throw it all way. I went thru a similar experience with our two kids (now 5 & 2) and eventually slowly got back into comics. It just takes a little time to find your groove, like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    So I've read thru the McFarlane Spidey Omnibus the last week. It has been a real trip down memory lane. I remember being awed by the art as a kid as each new issue was published and they were nice to revisit for nostalgia. However, they don't particularly hold up well compared to today's modern comics. Overall I'd give this book a C- on the writing and an A- on the artwork.

For example, apparently the Torment arc takes place over one long night (I think). Why was Calypso using the Lizard? For what purpose? Revenge against Spidey for Kraven dying? It was never clear what her movies were. And the Lizard basically spent the entire arc, when he wasn't EATING PEOPLE, creeping around in shadows with grinning fangs with demonic glowing eyes. And the arc ends in a cliched explosion with nothing really resolved or explained. Next, we have the Hobgoblin 2-parter which was bizarre. Why was Hobgoblin kidnapping/killing people? It almost seemed pointlessly brutal and dark just for the sake of doing something dark and monstrous. By the third arc, while dark and depressing, McFarlane had progressed enough as a writer that the book reads a little better. I honestly think the Perceptions arc is the best in the Omnibus. It's not a great story by itself, just the best in this book.

It's also now obvious in retrospect, McFarlane is one really messed up dude. Many dark and disturbing themes used in Spawn were first featured in McFarlane's Spider-Man title. Kidnapping, torture, abuse and murder of children is repeated again and again across McFarlane's work. It's shown in the Hobgoblin 2-part story, immediately thereafter in the Perceptions arc (rather graphically in some cases where the characters actually dig up bodies) and again in Spawn. That's not something I think anyone finds enjoyable to read or think about yet McFarlane showcases it again and again.

I think this Omnibus best serves as a proto-Image/Spawn book. Check out the characters in the Sub City arc. One looks like a dead ringer for the Violator Clown which later showed up in Spawn. Also there are several analogues through the series that could easily have been Sam & Twitch and various garbage dwelling bums from Spawn. You can really tell that McFarlane was trying hard and the book sold a bazillion copies, so it was obviously a success but it's easier now to see the series' faults when revisited thru a modern lens.

===

Also congrats to the due up thread with the new baby! Take it slow ... like the other poster said don't go too crazy at first and give everything up cold turkey or throw it all way. I went thru a similar experience with our two kids (now 5 & 2) and eventually slowly got back into comics. It just takes a little time to find your groove, like everything else.
    Glad I skipped this one. I had never read this material before and was curious about the quality but figured McFarlane probably wouldn't write a Spider-man I would be interested in. Your summary sounds like what I expected to find in there.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Spider-man is a young carer for Aunt May.

Slightly different circumstances but same drama we've seen over and over with other, stronger characters, I feel. Maybe if the Hyde story had been more interesting, or we'd spent more time in Robbie's head (he felt like a ghost himself, just walking through the motions), or the art had been less cartoony it might have connected with me. It didn't suffer from distractingly poor writing or anything. Just kind of hollow and bland.
    That isnt remotely the same, aside from a couple of writers who didn't know how to treat their dynamic. She an adult, and is rarely in need of his help until a writer writes themselves in to a corner and uses her health as a get out clause.

I can understand you not feeling it, but his being an actual young carer for someone else who was also young was a really strong character point
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

I've always enjoyed Todd's art. yeah, some faces are a little smashed together sometimes, but he has a great attention for detail. I like the webs, the flowing capes, the shadows, etc. It's fun to hate on the guy's art, but I always felt he was somewhat of an innovator, maybe an art adams on steroids. Regardless, I liked (like) it.

That said, he can't write for shit. Never could. The worst.

Over the years, I've tried to read his garbage and never could get through it.

In one drunken moment, I almost purchased this one night while making an order on IST. But I started thinking about that writing - and man - instant buzz kill.

On a side note, I never really thought about some of the darkness you mentioned. Seems to hold up, tho.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    That isnt remotely the same, aside from a couple of writers who didn't know how to treat their dynamic. She an adult, and is rarely in need of his help until a writer writes themselves in to a corner and uses her health as a get out clause.

I can understand you not feeling it, but his being an actual young carer for someone else who was also young was a really strong character point
    Sure, I was being tongue in cheek about the Spidey thing. I'd say it was about Robbie's only character point, actually. It didn't feel very unique, even if it is. I'm just not feeling the execution of the idea, I guess. I mean, without getting into spoilers, I think we all saw the conflict of the last arc coming the minute this relationship was introduced.

Incredible Member

Yeah, I finished it a little while ago. Same for me - trip down memory lane. The writing is definitely kind of crap - it got better as he went along, but the artwork is still solid. I'd give it the same rating you gave it on both accounts. Very happy to have it on my collected shelf though. It made me revisit his Spawn, which I'm picking up the Origin books. Once again, a trip down memory lane. I remember when Image was first announced...

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think Tradd Moore's art can be quite polarising, I have a friend who despises his stuff but I just loved it on Luther Strode and ghost Rider. Stopped following GR when Damion Scott took over (and I actually used to quite like Scott but after Moore it was quite a letdown).
    Agreed on Tradd Moore's artwork on Ghost Rider. Nothing against D Scott because I thought his art was really good, but I feel like how Tradd Moore draws R Reyes is actually part of the character and without it the character suffers a little. As for his artwork being polarizing, I'm a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Destructo View Post
    Assuming you're referring to a baby and not one of your in-laws moving in with you, Congrats! Mileage may vary, but I can give you a bit of my experience. When we found out we were having twins, I did the same thing. Called up my LCS and immediately cancelled my pull list. BUT, it wasn't too long after they were born that I started up again with comics. I thought money was going to be an issue (and it still was to some degree) but I hadn't accounted for the fact that I would essentially not be leaving the house except for going to work. No more eating out at restaurants, going to movies, theater, concerts, coffee shops, bars. No more going out to clothes shop or basically any shopping for ourselves. So I picked up comics again since I could just do a pre-order online from DCBS once a month. And being able to have a satisfying entertainment experience during a 15-20 minute windows of free time I would occasionally have, made a big difference. It was much easier to find time to read a comic during the course of a day than it was to watch a TV episode or movie. And I also found it impossible to read prose during the first couple years because I would fall asleep immediately from exhaustion. Maybe because of the visual element, I was able to read a comic without that problem. Anyway, good luck to you!
    Yes, correct assumption And thanks for the advice. I'm reducing my pull list bit by bit (I preorder things, so I'm phasing out some books at arc breaks). I've named 2-3 comics that I'd like to continue buying regardless, but there should be room for a few more (just...fewer than I used to get).

Besides, I want to institute a "Dad and <Child> let Mom sleep in on Saturdays while we go for a drive, including to the comic book store" tradition once they're a bit older.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Like clockwork the Direct Market cover for the Dr.Strange vol.1 Omni is already off of the IST Home Landing page. Anyone know how long that lasted?
    At least a few hours I know. I got my order in right at 2:10cst and went back around 4pm cst and it was still showing.
    CGN still has it at that 30% price vs 50% off though I see.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Like clockwork the Direct Market cover for the Dr.Strange vol.1 Omni is already off of the IST Home Landing page. Anyone know how long that lasted?
    At least a few hours I know. I got my order in right at 2:10cst and went back around 4pm cst and it was still showing.
    CGN still has it at that 30% price vs 50% off though I see.
    Don't know how long it lasted, but I expected it too so I got mine in right at launch 11:58 or so PST. This DM cover sell out time is getting crazy! One nice thing about getting in the order so fast mine was picked and marked shipped by the time I got home from work at 4:30.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Just picked up my copy of the Bill Sienkiewicz New Mutants Artist Select. What a beautiful, beautiful book. Needless to say it blows anything Marvel has ever produced out of the water when it comes to production quality.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Just picked up my copy of the Bill Sienkiewicz New Mutants Artist Select. What a beautiful, beautiful book. Needless to say it blows anything Marvel has ever produced out of the water when it comes to production quality.
    Where did you find this?! IDW still says coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Where did you find this?! IDW still says coming soon.
    Ordered it from my LCS way back in March. But I still wasn't sure I'd get one since it later turned out it had been over ordered at Diamond. All copies have been sold out for weeks now even if stores only got them in today and some pre-orders had to be cancelled. IDW had 25 copies for sale on their site but those were gone literally in minutes. There will however be an ultra-limited original colour art edition at some point in the future for likely well over $500 (the extremely limited editions with original b&w art were already $500, so it'll be more than that).

Bottom line: if you haven't pre-ordered your chances might be very slim to get a hold of a copy (apart from the inevitable cash-grab copies soon to be sold on ebay).

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Ordered it from my LCS way back in March. But I still wasn't sure I'd get one since it later turned out it had been over ordered at Diamond. All copies have been sold out for weeks now even if stores only got them in today and some pre-orders had to be cancelled. IDW had 25 copies for sale on their site but those were gone literally in minutes. There will however be an ultra-limited original colour art edition at some point in the future for likely well over $500 (the extremely limited editions with original b&w art were already $500, so it'll be more than that).

Bottom line: if you haven't pre-ordered your chances might be very slim to get a hold of a copy (apart from the inevitable cash-grab copies soon to be sold on ebay).
    Darn! I completely missed this one. Oh well!

Makes you wonder if Marvel didn't underestimate the sales potential of this run. IDW easily sold 1000+ copies without any of them ever having been displayed on a sales shelf.