Page 475 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 375425465471472473474475476477478479485525575975 ... LastLast
Results 7,111 to 7,125 of 20773

The first omni has the problem of the same plot being used over and over, it is not really until the end of the book that it finally changes up the pacing and story.

Amazing Member

@ grahamgg
    I know that you are the Hulk expert and I have some questions =)
    I have several Hulk OHCs (Planet Hulk, WWH, Incredible Hulks: Fall of the Hulks and World War Hulks),
    TPB (all Peter David Visionaries, the three Mantlo trades, Byrne Visionaries),
    MMW (1-9, but unfortunately Vol. 7 arrived pretty heavily damaged, so I've read it and sent back to amazon.com; it was the last piece, so I haven't found it again until now)
    and some others...

My question is, are there any other good Hulk comics?

Some comics are pretty cheap like the Hulk Aaron Vol. 1 OHC, Byrne Hulk TPB (not the first "run" of Byrne, the second one), Waid's Hulk Vol. 1 and 2. Are they're worth picking up for a low price?
    I mean they are not very popular...

Thanks~
    Last edited by Jaepuck; 11-16-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Incredible Member

Hey guys I'm going to be moving from Thompson, Manitoba to Winnipeg, Manitoba here in Canada. It's about 8 hours south from where I currently am. Just curious as to what the best way to transport Omni's and other OHC's would be recommended? I was thinking maybe getting some plastic tubs?.. anybody with advice to provide would be greatly appreciated!

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Hey guys I'm going to be moving from Thompson, Manitoba to Winnipeg, Manitoba here in Canada. It's about 8 hours south from where I currently am. Just curious as to what the best way to transport Omni's and other OHC's would be recommended? I was thinking maybe getting some plastic tubs?.. anybody with advice to provide would be greatly appreciated!
    IMO pack them like you sold them. Bubble wrap every one heavily and put in a box.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    OK, can someone explain this Kung Fu **** to me.
    I thought there were going to be four omnibus books. It looks like maybe five.
    Looking at titles on CGN, here's what I see:

DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU OMNIBUS VOL 01 HC
    SHANG-CHI MASTER OF KUNG FU OMNIBUS VOL 01 HC
    SHANG-CHI MASTER OF KUNG FU OMNIBUS VOL 02 HC
    SHANG-CHI MASTER OF KUNG FU OMNIBUS VOL 03 HC

It appears there's going to be a Shang-Chi Vol. 4, right?

Also, which books cover the 1-125 issue run that Doug Moench wrote (or at least wrote a bunch of)?

Finally, is this stuff any good? I'm not really looking for a nostalgic read, but actually something decent.

I recall reading some of the final issues - maybe 110-125 - years and years and years ago but, quite frankly, I don't remember if I liked them. I do recall that the cover of issue # 125 was bad ass.

Also, Moench was always known for being a pretty solid writer but some of that Bronze Age stuff is seriously hit or miss. Usually miss.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    I got tired of trying to figure it out in my head and just made a tidy little Shang-Chi guide to explain it

Short story: Deadly Hands was a magazine that had B&W comics content for all of the martial artsy heroes. Master of Kung Fu was the main title.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaepuck View Post
    @ grahamgg
    I have several Hulk OHCs (Planet Hulk, WWH, Incredible Hulks: Fall of the Hulks and World War Hulks),
    MMW (1-9, but unfortunately Vol. 7 arrived pretty heavily damaged, so I've read it and sent back to amazon.com; it was the last piece, so I haven't found it again until now)
    and some others...

Some comics are pretty cheap like the Hulk Aaron Vol. 1 OHC, Byrne Hulk TPB (not the first "run" of Byrne, the second one), Waid's Hulk Vol. 1 and 2. Are they're worth picking up for a low price?

Thanks~

I personally liked the Bruce Jones Hulk run, which was never complete in OHCs but I believe it was in tpbs.
    A lot of people slam the Aaron run but it wasn't THAT bad. Maybe a solid C plus.
    Waid's run was tied into that awful Bendis event. Ultron or something or other, so it was a Hulk who worked for Shield. There were actually some great moments in it. I'd give it a solid B.
    Also, Byrne's second run where the series began at issue # 1 was horrible. The dregs. Skip it.
    Paul Jenkins came on board after and I'm not sure how much of his is collected. He started slow but I felt he picked it up later and it was an underrated run. A lot of people will disagree with me on that one, however.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I got tired of trying to figure it out in my head and just made a tidy little Shang-Chi guide to explain it

Short story: Deadly Hands was a magazine that had B&W comics content for all of the martial artsy heroes. Master of Kung Fu was the main title.
    Ha! I should have just checked your site first.
    Thanks for your thoughts on this and thanks to everyone else who replied.
    I don't think I'm going to take the chance on it.
    I even asked my LCS guy this afternoon and he shook his head "no" and this is someone trying to earn a living. LOL.
    There's just so much good stuff out there now that it's not worth taking a chance at this point.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Jeph York posted this on the MMW Message Board Forum:

"By the way, just as a tease, I was up until 5am last night sorting out ANOTHER big event storyline for a late 2017 Omnibus. Any guesses?
    (Also: this one will have a little more interweaving than the War of Kings Omni! Ooooooooh interwoven issues.)"

So, any thoughts? Btw, he's ruled out Maximum Carnage which someone suggested. Operation Galactic Storm, Infinity War, Infinity Crusade.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post

"By the way, just as a tease, I was up until 5am last night sorting out ANOTHER big event storyline for a late 2017 Omnibus. Any guesses?
    (Also: this one will have a little more interweaving than the War of Kings Omni! Ooooooooh interwoven issues.)"

So, any thoughts? Btw, he's ruled out Maximum Carnage which someone suggested. Operation Galactic Storm, Infinity War, Infinity Crusade.....?
    Late 2017? umm... Infinity War Omnibus

Altough a X-Men: Mutant Massacre Aftermath would be nice !

It will probably be something no one asked for like Fear Itself or maybe it's Clone Saga 2, which a few people asked for.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Has to be Infinity War, the first movie comes out in May. Gives plenty of time for it to be in all shops for when the movie comes out.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    It will probably be something no one asked for like Fear Itself or maybe it's Clone Saga 2, which a few people asked for.
    I wouldn't mind Fear Itself (haven't read it and I know it's universally disliked but I generally collect main "events" and I don't have this one) but I reckon there's too much of it for one omnibus. I suspect the Clone Saga is already mapped out in its entirety (thus the Epic books) and we will gradually get the remaining Omnis (hopefully ).

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post

Another great guide krisis! Your hard work is appreciated!!

As stated already, Infinity War makes tons of sense due to the movie tie in.
    Hell, I'd take Fear Itself or even Shadowland, both of which seem to get little love.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Jaepuck View Post
    @ grahamgg
    and some others...

Thanks~
    Well, to be honest outside of Loeb/Pak's run from a few years ago, I'm not a super huge fan of the modern/current Hulk books.

The Bruce Jones era was when I dropped reading the series, after collecting each month the prior 17 years. My problem was that it completely ignored prior continuity & the Hulk became a minor supporting character in his own series. Hulk would show up for a panel or two every five or six issues. Basically the series became a noirish conspiracy thriller title starring green-eyed mysterious Banner. I didn't like it. Granted, almost all Marvel books from this early 2000s Quesada/Bill Jemas era are loose on continuity.

I read the Jason Aaron series a couple years ago. To me, it was just ok. Kind of a mad scientist take on the character. I'd give it a C+. It was somewhat derivative, though. Hulk and Banner are one again separated, and once again have to come back together, etc.

Waid's Indestructible Hulk run, like the other poster mentioned above, was a spin-off from some Marvel event (I forget which) where the Hulk is working for SHIELD. It had some good beats, but nothing world changing. I'd give it a C+ also.

Steer as far away from Byrne's 1999 "HULK" series as you can (released a few years ago as HULK by Byrne/Garney TPB). The art was pretty great, but Byrne was phoning it in then left after only a handful of issues (again, sigh) & other writers (Erik Larsen, Jerry Ordway) had to step in and clean up his mess. I give this run a D-.

Here are some Hulk books that I like and enjoy. Pretty much anything by Peter David or Greg Pak. I enjoyed the "Hulk Family" dynamic in Fall of the Hulks and World War Hulks books that you mentioned above. Unlike Bruce Jones, Pak & co took past continuity and really made it work. I also like the Loeb/McGuinness Red Hulk from this same era.

If you haven't read Hulk The End or Future Imperfect by PAD pick those up. In fact, in the most recent printings, they're both together in one single TPB. Also try & track down a late 1990s softcover book titled Ultimate Hulk which was written by PAD and features various short-stories starring different incarnations of the Hulk. PS ... the final short story in Ultimate Hulk was titled The Last Titan which was later adapted into comic form as Hulk The End.

Another PAD Hulk novel "What Savage Beast" follows up on several abandoned comic plots from PAD's run on the title (most notably what could have happened with Betty's pregnancy).

Paul Jenkins run (available as Hulk Dogs of War TPB + Past Perfect TPB) is pretty good. I give it an A-. At the time it was originally published it was kind of a "let's get back to what works by following some of the PAD themes & expanding on them". It sort of fizzles out by the end, but it's an interesting take on the character where Banner is dying and he transforms into various incarnations of the Hulk depending on what the situation is (Gray, Savage, Smart, etc).

Also you have the the proto-Epic TPBs of Bill Mantlo's run on the Incredible Hulk (Pardoned, Regression, and Crossroads) are good classic Hulk tales. I really like those as well.
    Last edited by grahamgg; 11-17-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar

Sadly, given the timing, Infinity War makes sense.