Page 476 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 376426466472473474475476477478479480486526576976 ... LastLast
Results 7,126 to 7,140 of 20773
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Has to be Infinity War, the first movie comes out in May. Gives plenty of time for it to be in all shops for when the movie comes out.
    He said it also was not infinity war/crusade either. But made it sound they were more than likely at some point beyond 2017.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Well, to be honest outside of Loeb/Pak's run from a few years ago, I'm not a super huge fan of the modern/current Hulk books.

The Bruce Jones era was when I dropped reading the series, after collecting each month the prior 17 years. My problem was that it completely ignored prior continuity & the Hulk became a minor supporting character in his own series. Hulk would show up for a panel or two every five or six issues. Basically the series became a noirish conspiracy thriller title starring green-eyed mysterious Banner. I didn't like it. Granted, almost all Marvel books from this early 2000s Quesada/Bill Jemas era are loose on continuity.

I read the Jason Aaron series a couple years ago. To me, it was just ok. Kind of a mad scientist take on the character. I'd give it a C+. It was somewhat derivative, though. Hulk and Banner are one again separated, and once again have to come back together, etc.

Waid's Indestructible Hulk run, like the other poster mentioned above, was a spin-off from some Marvel event (I forget which) where the Hulk is working for SHIELD. It had some good beats, but nothing world changing. I'd give it a C+ also.

Steer as far away from Byrne's 1999 "HULK" series as you can (released a few years ago as HULK by Byrne/Garney TPB). The art was pretty great, but Byrne was phoning it in then left after only a handful of issues (again, sigh) & other writers (Erik Larsen, Jerry Ordway) had to step in and clean up his mess. I give this run a D-.

Here are some Hulk books that I like and enjoy. Pretty much anything by Peter David or Greg Pak. I enjoyed the "Hulk Family" dynamic in Fall of the Hulks and World War Hulks books that you mentioned above. Unlike Bruce Jones, Pak & co took past continuity and really made it work. I also like the Loeb/McGuinness Red Hulk from this same era.

If you haven't read Hulk The End or Future Imperfect by PAD pick those up. In fact, in the most recent printings, they're both together in one single TPB. Also try & track down a late 1990s softcover book titled Ultimate Hulk which was written by PAD and features various short-stories starring different incarnations of the Hulk. PS ... the final short story in Ultimate Hulk was titled The Last Titan which was later adapted into comic form as Hulk The End.

Another PAD Hulk novel "What Savage Beast" follows up on several abandoned comic plots from PAD's run on the title (most notably what could have happened with Betty's pregnancy).

Paul Jenkins run (available as Hulk Dogs of War TPB + Past Perfect TPB) is pretty good. I give it an A-. At the time it was originally published it was kind of a "let's get back to what works by following some of the PAD themes & expanding on them". It sort of fizzles out by the end, but it's an interesting take on the character where Banner is dying and he transforms into various incarnations of the Hulk depending on what the situation is (Gray, Savage, Smart, etc).

Also you have the the proto-Epic TPBs of Bill Mantlo's run on the Incredible Hulk (Pardoned, Regression, and Crossroads) are good classic Hulk tales. I really like those as well.
    Thank you for your detail answer.

I don't have the trades of Pak's run after World War Hulks. It's bad that they are not collected in oversized format and to switch to trades. How are the Skaar Comics?

I haven't bought Loeb's Hulk comics because Ratchet from the Hulkcollection site smashed this run. If I can get the OHCs from the run maybe I am gonna get it.

Never heard anything about "Ultimate Hulk" or "What savage beast". Will look after them.

Future Imperfect/The End are one of my favorite Hulk comics. I own the premiere HC and from Future Imperfect a hard to get copy.
    Unfortunately the dust jacket has 2 big tears and it needs to be glued a little bit (never did that before, but should be no problem).
    I picked it up in a LCS here in Germany.

20161117_183231.jpg
    Last edited by Jaepuck; 11-17-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    He said it also was not infinity war/crusade either. But made it sound they were more than likely at some point beyond 2017.
    Not war / Crusade?
    well...does any of these counts as a crossover?

Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix / X-Men: The Rise of Apocalypse (with: Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix 1-4, X-Men: Books of Askani, Askani'Son 1-4, Further Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix 1-4 ) + ( RISE OF APOCALYPSE 1-4, FURTHER ADVENTURES OF CYCLOPS & PHOENIX 1-4, X-MEN: APOCALYPSE/DRACULA 1-4, BLACK KNIGHT: EXODUS, FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) 19)

X-Men by Alan Davis Omnibus vol.1 (X-Men #85-94,X-Men ’99 Annual, X-Men: Magneto War #1, Uncanny X-Men #366-374,Wolverine #140-144, Hulk #7-8, Cable #71, Gambit #8-9, Astonishing X-Men #1-3)
    X-Men by Alan Davis Omnibus vol.2 / Apocalypse: The Twelve Omnibus (Uncanny X-Men #375-380+Annual 1999, Cable #72-78, X-Men #95-99, X-Men Unlimited #25-26, Wolverine #145-149, X-Man #59-60, X-Force #101, X-Men: The Search for Cyclops #1-4)
    New Mutants by Zeb Wells + Andy Lanning Omnibus (New Mutants vol. 3 #1-50 + Marvel Spotlight: New Mutants)

ok, lets forget the X-omni wish...

"Siege" is Thor related and we have a Thor movie, so my money's on that!
    Last edited by ricardoramos; 11-17-2016 at 01:50 PM.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

My money is on Shadowland.

Tie in with Netflix.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post

Tie in with Netflix.
    This. And it coincides with the Brubaker Daredevil reprints

Secret Invasion, anyone? It would serve as a potential companion piece to the cosmic-omnis (at least with the theme of the Skrull empire wandering into earth), it would serve as a continuation of New Avengers Omnibus vol.1 and it would need quite the interweaving of books (if it were to follow every thread the story had). Also, Marvel would be covering the 'Earth and outer space clash!' theme the movie will have. What do you guys think?

I would bu ythis in a heartbeat:

Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix / X-Men: The Rise of Apocalypse (with: Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix 1-4, X-Men: Books of Askani, Askani'Son 1-4, Further Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix 1-4 ) + ( RISE OF APOCALYPSE 1-4, FURTHER ADVENTURES OF CYCLOPS & PHOENIX 1-4, X-MEN: APOCALYPSE/DRACULA 1-4, BLACK KNIGHT: EXODUS, FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) 19)

Shadowland not so much.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Tie in with Netflix.
    Agreed. I feel strongly it's going to be Shadowland. (Especially because Daredevil and Shadowland definitely alternate in an almost direct-crossover fashion, which was what lead Jeph to mention what he was working on in the first place).

Outside shot at Planet Hulk era.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Tie in with Netflix.
    Uhg. I hope not.

But then I hope so because I won't buy it and save some monies

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Tie in with Netflix.
    Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    This. And it coincides with the Brubaker Daredevil reprints
    Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Agreed. I feel strongly it's going to be Shadowland. (Especially because Daredevil and Shadowland definitely alternate in an almost direct-crossover fashion, which was what lead Jeph to mention what he was working on in the first place).
    Even though I have the 2 main Shadowland PHCs (Daredevil ongoing #508-512 & event #1-5) and the remaining 4 TPB tie-ins (Moon Knight, Street Fighters, Power Man, Blood on the Streets) as well as some of the floppies, I would be very happy with a Shadowland Omnibus. It would mean I would be double dipping but it would be very nice to have it all in some coherent order and together in one place. I would just have to offload those lesser editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaggi_Rck View Post
    Secret Invasion, anyone? It would serve as a potential companion piece to the cosmic-omnis (at least with the theme of the Skrull empire wandering into earth), it would serve as a continuation of New Avengers Omnibus vol.1 and it would need quite the interweaving of books (if it were to follow every thread the story had). Also, Marvel would be covering the 'Earth and outer space clash!' theme the movie will have. What do you guys think?
    I was actually just thinking about this the other day & wondering why they didn't have a complete collection for this event.

I know it isn't very popular around here, but I would get it.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm glad I mentioned Shadowland now that it seems to have some traction as an idea.
    I'd be all for it. I feel it's one of those Events that gets crapped on a bit too heavily and unfairly.

What with Elektra, Iron Fist, Luke Cage etc all being present in the event it just made some sense this was the Omni "no one" asked for it might mean.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Well, to be honest outside of Loeb/Pak's run from a few years ago, I'm not a super huge fan of the modern/current Hulk books.

The Bruce Jones era was when I dropped reading the series, after collecting each month the prior 17 years. My problem was that it completely ignored prior continuity & the Hulk became a minor supporting character in his own series. Hulk would show up for a panel or two every five or six issues. Basically the series became a noirish conspiracy thriller title starring green-eyed mysterious Banner. I didn't like it. Granted, almost all Marvel books from this early 2000s Quesada/Bill Jemas era are loose on continuity.
    I completely forgot about the Loeb stuff. Also Jeff Parker's red Hulk run wasn't too bad.

Regarding Jones, all the reasons you cite for not liking it are the reasons I liked it - except for the dismissal of continuity. That really, really bothered me - particularly Betty.

The Hulk series, though, was coming off a lull - Byrne sucked and Jenkins was OK (as I noted earlier: underrated) - and Marvel needed to shake it up. So, yes, the Hulk didn't show up a lot in the first year or so but he came back strong later.

I'm generally with you though on all things Hulk. The PAD/PAK stuff is the best. Mantlo and Byrne's first runs are pretty good, too.

On a side note, I've been reading the Awesome Hulk monthly and it's not too bad. A little silly but readable.

Tie in with Netflix.
    I don't know if I'd make a bet on this but I'd take Shadowland. It wasn't the best DD but it wasn't horrible (IMO). It also would also collect the gap between that DD series and when Waid took over in OHC.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I don't know if I'd make a bet on this but I'd take Shadowland. It wasn't the best DD but it wasn't horrible (IMO). It also would also collect the gap between that DD series and when Waid took over in OHC.
    Marvel just omni'd the clone saga, i don't think quality factors into what their collection department slaps together :P