Page 483 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 383433473479480481482483484485486487493533583983 ... LastLast
Results 7,231 to 7,245 of 20773

Well I went to b&n and held an open copy of the spiderverse ohc and its definitely a mousetrap although seeing the art im going to have to go with the ohc vs tpb.

Also CGN has the avengers time runs out ohc for 19.99$! Even with 7$ shipping it's quite a deal!

With that I have all of hickmans avengers in ohc and the HC of secret wars. Is avengers world picking up? I know Hickman only wrote the few 5 or so issues and I don't think it ties in to much with the main story but is it still a good Hickman read?

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    CGN has their Black Friday sale going ... think I'm going to pass this year for all the usual reasons: Lack of space (we just moved a few months ago) and to be honest nothing is really blowing my skirt up. I have pretty much everything I need now and would rather save the cash. Also my reading backlog is huge.

I will recommend picking up the Marvel the Untold Story SC book to anyone looking to pick up a nice behind-the-scenes book on the history of Marvel Comics. Found that at my local bookstore yesterday and am already about 130 pages into it! It's great seeing what was going on behind the scenes for all those many years! And it's cheap! You can't go wrong with $17!
    I'm in the same boat. It's been a long while since I've been really pining for a book. Now if Marvel would re-release the Eternals omnibus then I wold have something to look forward to again.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    With that I have all of hickmans avengers in ohc and the HC of secret wars. Is avengers world picking up? I know Hickman only wrote the few 5 or so issues and I don't think it ties in to much with the main story but is it still a good Hickman read?
    IIRC Avengers World provides a backstory to a couple of the side characters and events that ties into the main Avengers story. The art is also very nice. Definitely worth picking up. But if I am not mistaken they are only available in TPBs.

Is the whole run worth picking up? It's only 20-something issues long or is only the Hickman stuff good? For me it dosnt matter to much if it ties in with the main story as long as its a good read.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Is the whole run worth picking up? It's only 20-something issues long or is only the Hickman stuff good? For me it dosnt matter to much if it ties in with the main story as long as its a good read.
    I enjoyed the whole run quite a bit. I read Hickman's Avengers run in the chronological order including the Avengers World issues and they were great. I'll be a bit cross if they are not included in the Hickman Avengers Omnibus or even as a Companion Omnibus.

Spectacular Member

I thought that Avengers World was just as great as the main Hickman Avengers run. Breaks my heart that it hasn't been released in OHC.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post
    I enjoyed the whole run quite a bit. I read Hickman's Avengers run in the chronological order including the Avengers World issues and they were great. I'll be a bit cross if they are not included in the Hickman Avengers Omnibus or even as a Companion Omnibus.
    Agreed... I actually asked a similar question recently on the Omnibus Collector's Facebook page. If I understand correctly, there are twenty or so odd issues set during Hickman's Avengers era that weren't written by him -- Avengers Annual #1, New Avengers Annual #1, Avengers #34.1 and 34.2, and most of Avengers World. I've heard that at least some of them were quite good; but on the other hand, of course, this is "Avengers by Jonathan Hickman" and they weren't written by Hickman. So do you include them anyway, since they're technically part of that era and help to flesh out some of the character stuff he didn't have time for? Do you just leave them out?

Someone suggested releasing them all as either a Companion volume or an "Avengers World" omnibus. I'll admit I favor including them (in appropriate chronological order) in the Hickman omnis, but a companion/Avengers World omnibus would be a good second choice.

I got my new x-men omnibus today , look good with new cover.

IMG_4997.jpg
    IMG_4998.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Agreed... I actually asked a similar question recently on the Omnibus Collector's Facebook page. If I understand correctly, there are twenty or so odd issues set during Hickman's Avengers era that weren't written by him -- Avengers Annual #1, New Avengers Annual #1, Avengers #34.1 and 34.2, and most of Avengers World. I've heard that at least some of them were quite good; but on the other hand, of course, this is "Avengers by Jonathan Hickman" and they weren't written by Hickman. So do you include them anyway, since they're technically part of that era and help to flesh out some of the character stuff he didn't have time for? Do you just leave them out?

Someone suggested releasing them all as either a Companion volume or an "Avengers World" omnibus. I'll admit I favor including them (in appropriate chronological order) in the Hickman omnis, but a companion/Avengers World omnibus would be a good second choice.
    If you had an Avengers by Hickman Companion (or something like that) you could also pad it out with Infinity tie-ins. Maybe just "Heist", "The Hunt", and "Against the Tide", but that will make it a bit more omnibus-sized.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    If you had an Avengers by Hickman Companion (or something like that) you could also pad it out with Infinity tie-ins. Maybe just "Heist", "The Hunt", and "Against the Tide", but that will make it a bit more omnibus-sized.
    They could just do a 'companion' collecting all 21 issues of Avengers World plus the Avengers Annual #1, New Avengers Annual #1, Avengers #34.1 and 34.2 Lucky mentioned above. I'd be delighted to buy a book like that. No need for all that Heist and Hunt stuff that was already collected in oversized and had almost nothing to do with Hickman's Avengers run.

A 25-issue companion with all that missing content would be much welcomed by me.

So this is an OLD topic, but I'm trying to finally catch up on my reading. Anyways, I just finished Fraction's Hawkeye run last night (via both OHCs).
    From a build perspective, both books are right in my sweet spot. Page thickness didn't bother me, no bledthrough that I noticed, books are small enough to be read easily and comfortably.
    Both had a few extras in the back, pencils before inks and colorings - things like that. Nothing really to write home about.

I had read OHC vol 1 before, but never vol 2, but since it had been a long time, I plowed through vol 1 again and then completed vol 2 last night.

Some thoughts below - possible spoilers for those who haven't ready it yet...

I thought it was pretty good. I had read about how it 'lost its way' near the end, and I didn't really see that. I will say there was one issue, a Christmas issue, where it time jumped WAY too much and was impossible for this old guy to follow. I'm a veteran comic reader, so the whole flashback / time jumping thing often used in sequential comics layouts is nothing new, but this was ridiculous. DEC 14, then DEC 19, then DEC 18, and then DEC 20, etc... I didn't even make an attempt to sort out what caused what to happen, I just plowed through it, got the gist, and moved on. And also, you see several events from different perspectives over the course of a few issues, so it's like 3 issues are sort of the same, nothing new, just different perspectives, which is fine, but I could see that being a complaint.

I didn't mind the Kate solo stuff, but I'll admit it felt kinda like filler. We are there (well, I was there) to read about Clint, and Clint & Kate, but not just Kate. Plus all her LA adventures seemed to amount to squat when it was all said and done. Unless her new solo series in the future will pick up on things.

I liked that Fraction brought in Barney and he wasn't the villain - writers have gone to that well too often in the past - but in the end, Barney is Barney, which is not a bad thing in that scenario.

How old is Kate supposed to be in this run, anyways? Like 20? And Clint is what, like 30-35? Again, I'm a dumb guy, but pretty sure there was some boyfriend/girlfriend rocky chemistry thing going on, and I'm unsure if that was intentional? In other words, was it a friendship/mentor thing, or did they have feelings for each other, or she liked him and he wasn't sure what he wanted, etc...? I wonder if any of this will be picked up on by the respective writers of Occupy Avengers or Hawkeye's new solo series?

Also, the "Bro" thing was funny for awhile but got old pretty quick. Although the "Seriously, Bro" was pretty funny.

And I have to give Fraction some props. I know some don't like him, but I really dug the writing, especially the dialogue. It felt 'real' without getting too Bendis'y in its ticks and repetitions (TBH, Bendis doesn't do that as much anymore, either).
    There is some genuinely funny and quotable lines in this book. Like every time he tells someone he's an Avenger they say, "you mean you're Iron Fist?"

Love Aja's work, other writers are decent, Pudillo's a good fill in since the styles are similar.

Anyways, if you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. Is it the Hawkeye you remember? From Roy Thomas to even Jim McCann? Of course not. But it's a different, somewhat fresh take on an old character. If your version of Hawkeye is straight laced and a guy who has it together, this isn't that guy, but as a guy who's life is kinda a train wreck but still wants to do the right thing, I think it's excellent.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    I thought that Avengers World was just as great as the main Hickman Avengers run. Breaks my heart that it hasn't been released in OHC.
    +1 to this and the general sentiment. Avengers World was exactly what was missing from Hickman's Avengers run and it benefits massively from its inclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post

And I have to give Fraction some props. I know some don't like him, but I really dug the writing, especially the dialogue. It felt 'real' without getting too Bendis'y in its ticks and repetitions (TBH, Bendis doesn't do that as much anymore, either).
    There is some genuinely funny and quotable lines in this book. Like every time he tells someone he's an Avenger they say, "you mean you're Iron Fist?"

Love Aja's work, other writers are decent, Pudillo's a good fill in since the styles are similar.

Anyways, if you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. Is it the Hawkeye you remember? From Roy Thomas to even Jim McCann? Of course not. But it's a different, somewhat fresh take on an old character. If your version of Hawkeye is straight laced and a guy who has it together, this isn't that guy, but as a guy who's life is kinda a train wreck but still wants to do the right thing, I think it's excellent.
    I agree with this strongly. Fraction is much better at naturalistic dialog than Bendis. Hawkeye reads like actual conversations.

As for the definitive Hawkguy? I think maybe it's him as the sort of lovable a-hole leader from West Coast Avengers, although that could be partially a 25yr-old fabrication in my brain

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    I'm in the same boat. It's been a long while since I've been really pining for a book. Now if Marvel would re-release the Eternals omnibus then I wold have something to look forward to again.
    Same - total pass on sales this year for me. It's so weird to have nothing left on my wishlist. I feel empty, yet my wallet feels full
    Last edited by krisis; 11-28-2016 at 06:46 PM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

So if you're in the USA have any of you waiting on a order from USPS not gotten your package even though it says out for delivery on tracking? I usually do FedEx but this is about my 10th mail comic order and this has never happened before. It's 6pm here and mail comes by at the very latest 4pm. It's ny asm vol 2 omni, hope to god they didn't loose it. IST has no option to buy insurance for your order like cgn does

Edit: Scratch that, it came. My mail man forget to drop it off but they had someone bring it to me. But of course it had to come damaged, not bad just a little ding on the corner, not gonna bother getting a replacement just happy to have it
    Last edited by mtop2036; 11-28-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Incredible Member

I think Dr Strange omni may be teetering on OOP. Amazon and B&N have it only through marketplace sellers no restock date posted. CGN has both covers as OOS probably gearing up for a price hike when IST runs out as they still have the standard cover for order.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    I think Dr Strange omni may be teetering on OOP. Amazon and B&N have it only through marketplace sellers no restock date posted. CGN has both covers as OOS probably gearing up for a price hike when IST runs out as they still have the standard cover for order.
    I thought it was on it's way out too, as quite a few sites I use in the UK were OOS and Amazon hiked the price by nearly £20. I ordered mine just over a week ago for a good price luckily!
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"