Page 496 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 396446486492493494495496497498499500506546596996 ... LastLast
Results 7,426 to 7,440 of 20773
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    It does get you Ultimate Reed which is a vital part of what goes on. Plus I think it does help having some grounding in the UU before diving into SW #1.
    Yeah, Hickman's Ultimates doesn't show how Reed went evil, but it DOES show how he evolved into 'The Maker' and gives insight into his character, which is key for understanding the end of Hickman's Avengers and especially Secret Wars.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    This was a great run for the first 150 issues or so as I recall... Then we hit the clone stuff which I wasn't a fan of.
    The Doc Ock/Owl stuff was great. Don't forget, Peter David wrote a lot of the stuff starting around issue # 100.
    Agreed. I didn't follow the most Marvel titles much past the mid-'80's, so the title was still strong by the time I stopped collecting.

I would have preferred if PPTSSM had been collected in a series of Omnibuses rather than MMW's - Omnibuses would reprint more issues at once, and would also be less expensive in the long-run than the much more expensive MMW format. That being said, I'll take PPTSSM any way I can get it. Great series!

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    Agreed. I didn't follow the most Marvel titles much past the mid-'80's, so the title was still strong by the time I stopped collecting.

I would have preferred if PPTSSM had been collected in a series of Omnibuses rather than MMW's - Omnibuses would reprint more issues at once, and would also be less expensive in the long-run than the much more expensive MMW format. That being said, I'll take PPTSSM any way I can get it. Great series!

Yeah, I could go for a few omnibus collections of Peter Parker. I'd also love one for the first 30 or 40 issues of Web of Spider-Man as well. That was a good series the first three or four years. Then it, too, kind of went down hill.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
    Agreed - there were far better images to use for the War Omni, Realm looks incredible - lets hope the Road to War Omni will be in the style of Realm too
    These omnis will, alongside the annihilation omnibi, look hella weird together on the shelf.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by benkerino View Post
    These omnis will, alongside the annihilation omnibi, look hella weird together on the shelf.
    Lol - I didn't think of that; mainly because I stack my shelves chronologically, so there are always books between each instalment.

I've got 3 long shelves, running 3 OHC / Omni collections parallel to each other:
    Top: X-related titles (New X-men by Morrison to Apocalypse Wars atm)
    Middle: Avengers (Secret War / Disassembled to Secret Wars)
    Bottom: Cosmic, Avengers solo titles and "The Rest"
    Roughly covers 2004 to 2015 (I'm trying not to get sucked into All-New Marvel, Secret Wars felt like a logical place to stop with Avengers stuff)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN VOL. 1 HC Cover by SAL BUSCEMA:
    I'm so looking forward to this...but after the first few issues, PPtSSM has some pretty rough patches. It kind of finds itself around issue 20 deciding to focus on the Empire State University and its characters leaving the traditional Bugle characters in Amazing. Stern and then Mantlo keep the book strong way up to the 100's when Peter David comes aboard for some stellar issues.

The real problem is keeping it on the schedule. Are they going to do yearlies or every other year rotation? They stated a Marvel Team Up masterworks which arguably is stronger material than PPtSSM, and then never released a volume two.

I still prefer the MMW to a straight chronological omnibus of a series.
    trying to be nicer

Have to say I've got a soft spot in my heart for the old Peter Parker Spec Spidey series, but mainly the issues in the early #100s from the "ALL NEW, ALL DARING" era. When I first started collecting comics in the mid/late 80s PAD was on the title doing some pretty gritty stuff. It was just after the death of Jean Dewolff arc, and there was a dark Christmas themed issue, some weird stuff with Doc Strange and the Black Cat's bad-luck powers which were adversely affecting Spidey. Then I distinctly remember a couple of brutal issues where Spidey fought Sabretooth (before he was a regular X-villain ... his appearances in PP:Spec Spidey precede his first battle with Wolverine & the Mutant Massacre storyline by a few months). Of course, it wasn't too long from that point until the Kraven's Last Hunt story, an all time classic.

I also remember, in college in the late 90s, my LCS would have seasonal store wide 50% off clearance sales and my roommate and I would go. We had to be there at the door waiting for them to open at the early morning hour (gasp!) of like 9am on a Saturday! This was of course, before eBay and amazon, and most online comic shops, so it was basically your one big chance that semester to pick up key back issues at decent prices. I remember buying some early Hobgoblin appearances in ASM along with PP:TSSM #1. Good times. So I'm definitely looking forward to the PP:TSSM MMW volumes.

Although I will be very honest: those early issues are pretty lackluster. The art was so-so and the stories weren't that great. I read most of them in the Essential trades years ago and the series doesn't really get all that great until after #50 ... even then it's a slow burn of absurdity in spots (the JJJ/Marla romance issue ... sheesh), until Cloak & Dagger appear and some of the Ock/Owl gang war stuff gets started. And even then, you have to put up with some pretty vanilla artwork by the likes of Jim Shooter (yes, art), Bob Hall, Ed Hannigan, Luke McDonnell, Al Milgrom and Marie Severin.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    I'm so looking forward to this...but after the first few issues, PPtSSM has some pretty rough patches. It kind of finds itself around issue 20 deciding to focus on the Empire State University and its characters leaving the traditional Bugle characters in Amazing. Stern and then Mantlo keep the book strong way up to the 100's when Peter David comes aboard for some stellar issues.

The real problem is keeping it on the schedule. Are they going to do yearlies or every other year rotation? They stated a Marvel Team Up masterworks which arguably is stronger material than PPtSSM, and then never released a volume two.

I still prefer the MMW to a straight chronological omnibus of a series.
    Thrilled to see PPtSSM hit MMW, but I'm concerned about the frequency of subsequent volumes too. They actually did do a second volume of MTU about 18 months after the first, but there hasn't been a third in over four years since then. I seem to recall that MTU may have licensing challenges with some of the rotating cast of guest stars, but I don't know with certainty the reason for the delay.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by harrycuong View Post
    Realm of Kings omnibus.

Attachment 42955
    Attachment 42956
    I thought this beast won't be released until fabruary 2017 ? and i can't find it in Ist so where did you find it ? :O looks good btw.
    Last edited by Batarang; 12-24-2016 at 01:17 PM.

I'm loving the new Deadpool omnibus and I've never been the biggest Deadpool fan
    We need better comics

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I'm loving the new Deadpool omnibus and I've never been the biggest Deadpool fan
    I am an avowed "eh" on previous Deadpool, but I am obsessed with the run in that omnibus. Enjoy!
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I am an avowed "eh" on previous Deadpool, but I am obsessed with the run in that omnibus. Enjoy!
    Which one is this? Not a big fan, either, but you generally have good taste.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Which one is this? Not a big fan, either, but you generally have good taste.
    The newest Deadpool omni is the Duggan & Posehn. For me the run is overall average. It had some good points, the Good, the Bad & the Ugly was fantastic and a lot of the run really humanized the character which I liked. I hated Dead Presidents and for me the whole Shiklah situation derailed all the greatness that was coming on in the run. The Original Sin stuff started to pull it back to the type of run I was hoping it was after how good G,B&U was, but it never quite got there. I think they have gone back to the OS fallout in newer issues, can anyone confirm that because that would entice me to get the new OHC. The flash back issues were pretty good also. I will probably re read this run just to see if it was my expectations due to high praise and the type of humor I thought Posehn would bring that kept me from enjoying it more, or if it really is just not for me after all.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    They stated a Marvel Team Up masterworks which arguably is stronger material than PPtSSM, and then never released a volume two.
    We did get a second volume, but not a third.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I have Vol. 1&2 of the MMW MTU, and have been waiting for a Vol. 3 some time now. I know a lot of people on the MMW Forum have it as one of their most wanted MMW.

Btw, I hope you all have a very Happy Christmas!