Page 5 of 1382 FirstFirst 12345678915551055051005 ... LastLast

I've copied over the OHC lists into the second post and tidied up some links so they now work, including the marvel cosmic guide by kodave.

We all know the proper pluralization of Omnibus is Omnibu$

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Nice one

My first Omni of the new thread will probably be Werewolf by Night or Shield.

And a note to Inferno, sorry, I will be more on the ball. It's only been a day, I hadn't had a chance to get the proper links yet!
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Actually, not meaning to get picky, bus as a Classics teacher, that's not correct. You're using the right rule, but to a degree of being hypercorrect.

Hypercorrect is when you apply the right rule, but the word doesnt conform to that rule. This is because the word Omnibus derives from a Latin word which in turn derives from a non-Latin word. As such the Latin rules don't apply. It's like Octopus. Octopus is a Latin word, so you expect the Latin rules to make the plural Octopi, but because Octopus is derived from a Greek word, the correct plural is actually Octopodes (following the Greek rules).

The correct plural for Omnibus is Omnibusses, but even that is now 'dated' (out of fashion, like saying 'gay' to mean happy) because people have become lazy and shorted it to just omnibuses, however omnibusses is still the truly correct plural.
    Legion_quest, as someone who spent years trying to convince several Star Wars podcasts to use "omnibuses" (usually one S, so I've learned something today) over "omnibi", I salute your clear explanation of the rules, and sincerely thank you for the information.

I also plan to talk about octopodes more often, because that is an amazing word.

I know this is about Marvel collections, but I'll take the opportunity to flag my continued love for Dark Horse's omnibus line. Those things were great! I purchased all but one of their Star Wars ones. They were undersized instead of the preferred oversized here, but they were $20-$25 each, and were quite comprehensive. In my view this omnibus line was infinitely better than the Dark Horse TPBs (many of which had terrible glue between the cover and the books, causing the cover to fall off mere weeks after I bought them). Some of the Omnibuses contained content I already owned completely in terrible-but-correctly-sized TPBs, but I donated those TPBs in favour of the omnibuses. My only regret was buying the three volumes of Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic, which I already owned in my preferred format (issues).
    Last edited by Taral-DLOS; 10-14-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    I'm just saving up for Marvel's Star Wars Omnibus vol. 3 and I read in Previews that another Uncanny X-Men Omnibus is coming in 2016 which collects Dave Cockrum's second run on the title after Byrne left.
    Link? Where'd you see this!?

I believe that's spelled omnibu$$e$.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    I'm just saving up for Marvel's Star Wars Omnibus vol. 3 and I read in Previews that another Uncanny X-Men Omnibus is coming in 2016 which collects Dave Cockrum's second run on the title after Byrne left.
    Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    That is correct
    What what what?! Uncanny Omni vol. 4 in 2016, as well, or what are you talking about??

Quote Originally Posted by Racci View Post
    What what what?! Uncanny Omni vol. 4 in 2016, as well, or what are you talking about??
    Wishful thinking we'll get both in one year. It was probably referring to Vol. 3 coming in Feb/March, which contains Cockrum's return before Paul Smith takes over.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I believe that's spelled omnibu$$e$.
    Especially if they are Marvel ones
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

HAHA you got me

Incredible Member

First Omni of the new thread will be Byrne FF 1. I was 2 issues in when the new thread launched.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Incredible Member

My first Marvel omni for this new thread will be... the DD Companion next year.

I probably won't be reading a new Marvel omnibus for a while either. I might get the Elektra and DD companion books but I own all the material of the companion and am undecided on Elektra.

The next Moon Knight Epic will probably be my next Marvel purchase.

Just noticed something really disappointing on my infinity ohc. The spine is squared instead of rounded like other omnis/ohc. Doesn't open flat like a rounded spine and has gutter lost are all the event ohcs like this? Really hope secret wars is gonna be rounded.