Page 502 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 24024524924984995005015025035045055065125526021002 ... LastLast
Results 7,516 to 7,530 of 20730

Did Marvel do an inventory clearance lately?

I've noticed multiple comic stores in my area having deep discounts on Captain America omnibus Vol 1, GOTG by Abnett & Lanning Omnibus, DD by Frank Millar companion omnibus etc
    We need better comics

Last night I snagged the JMS Thor omnibus for under $80!

Now I'm down to just one whale - the Simonson omnibus.

Maybe I missed it but when is the Realm of Kings Omni being released?
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
    Maybe I missed it but when is the Realm of Kings Omni being released?
    End of the month. 31st I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Along with Byrne's Alpha Flight!

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Along with Byrne's Alpha Flight!
    This is going to be a heavy week.

Speak of, Silver Age Daredevil is also released then, right?

How is it? I was planning on passing on it for the time being

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post

Yeah, Daredevil as well, although i can't comment on as i've never read it. Pass for me as well. Also Absolute Wonder Woman v1 on this day. Heavy week indeed.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Yeah. I'm going to have to pass on DD and Alpha Flight so I can afford the other two. Annoying, but worth it.

On the plus side, I just scored X-Men by Claremont and Lee volume two for cover, which almost completesy x-men OHC collection. I just need Inferno and the little DOFP one. And of course, the unreleased ones.
    Cyclops was right

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

As a big Daredevil fan, I quite liked Silver Age Daredevil. However, if you're not a fan of Silver Age or Daredevil or alternatively not a completionist when it comes to Silver Age Omnis, I would advise against purchasing it.

It's not as "easy" a read as Silver Age Spidey in terms of the stories being interesting and readable. The art is for the most part just fine but it is a bit of a chore to get through some of the stories. I would say the first Masterwork is worth having because of the origin, Wally Wood and Bill Everett art, a lot of major supporting characters first appearances (incl. Foggy, Karen Page, the Owl, Purple Man), the change in costume, the Namor/DD battle....

I'm personally looking forward to seeing it all in oversized format.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    As a big Daredevil fan, I quite liked Silver Age Daredevil. However, if you're not a fan of Silver Age or Daredevil or alternatively not a completionist when it comes to Silver Age Omnis, I would advise against purchasing it.

It's not as "easy" a read as Silver Age Spidey in terms of the stories being interesting and readable. The art is for the most part just fine but it is a bit of a chore to get through some of the stories. I would say the first Masterwork is worth having because of the origin, Wally Wood and Bill Everett art, a lot of major supporting characters first appearances (incl. Foggy, Karen Page, the Owl, Purple Man), the change in costume, the Namor/DD battle....

I'm personally looking forward to seeing it all in oversized format.
    Thanks, I'm a bit of a DD fan. Granted, I've only really read the highly acclaimed stuff from Miller, Smith, Bendis, Bru, and Waid(read Shadowland but didn't care for it).

I'll think about it. Maybe I'll try to read a few of the issues elsewhere and pick up the omnibus later if I like them

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    These are my sentiments exactly. I got the first Epic Collection collecting #1-21 and I got through I think 12 issues (first part of the Savage Land story) before I got sick of it, for lack of a better term. Meanwhile I had no issues reading the early issues of Spidey, Avengers or FF.

On this subject, the DD Vol 3 Epic (#42-63) comes out soon. Do you know if these stories are an improvement over Vol 1, or would it be more of the same?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan P91 View Post
    These are my sentiments exactly. I got the first Epic Collection collecting #1-21 and I got through I think 12 issues (first part of the Savage Land story) before I got sick of it, for lack of a better term. Meanwhile I had no issues reading the early issues of Spidey, Avengers or FF.

On this subject, the DD Vol 3 Epic (#42-63) comes out soon. Do you know if these stories are an improvement over Vol 1, or would it be more of the same?
    The stories in this period are not a whole lot better especially for "non-Daredevil" fans and at times I found even less readable. There's a lot of stories with the Jester which I'm not a big fan of, and they would kind of drag on for ever.

On the positive side, you get the consistency of Gene Colan's art which for me took some getting used to but once I did was quite interesting and enjoyable. I believe he was ahead of his time (a little like Frank Miller in the 80s on DD) and literally drew outside of the box i.e. not the regular square panels but you would have legs and arms breaking out of the boxes or one page spreads which were topsy-turvy. He made it that little bit more readable.

There's also a couple of issues drawn by Barry Windsor Smith. I quite enjoyed the story with the blind Vietnam Vet Willie Lincoln (first appearance). You also get DD revealing his identity to Karen Page as well as the classic retold origin #53 issue and also a Black Panther team-up.

Yes, it comes out that week. I'm getting it. The stories are kind of fun and you can see that they certainly influence Mark Waid's swashbuckling run on DD. But, they are Silver Age reading material, so there's that.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I'm in the same boat. I have heard absolutely NOTHING good about SA Daredevil. People seem excited for a new omnibus, rather than a new omnibus of that material.

Considering the huge price hike on omnis for the UK since the dumb Brexit stuff, I dont think I can afford to take a punt on really bad stuff just for the sake of liking a run on the character many years later...
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I have heard absolutely NOTHING good about SA Daredevil. People seem excited for a new omnibus, rather than a new omnibus of that material.

Considering the huge price hike on omnis for the UK since the dumb Brexit stuff, I dont think I can afford to take a punt on really bad stuff just for the sake of liking a run on the character many years later...
    I think I'm fine with the MMW v1. I like to get to know the beginnings of my favourite characters but 2-300 pages is more than enough usually. Got a few vol 1 MMWs and I think those would be enough work to read them, can't see myself reading 1000 pages of half phoned in Stan Lee writing.