Page 51 of 1383 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455611011515511051 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I'd really love to hear Marvel's rationale behind the new Squadron Supreme Omnibus. The first one only moved 683 copies back in it's first month on sale in November 2010. And it was so overprinted that Marvel sold off an estimated 1900 copies to the direct market alone in 2013, not to mention what they sold at fire sale prices to other non-direct-market retailers.

Much like the Inhumans usurping Mutants, Marvel seems to be on a Squadron Supreme push that no one asked for post-Secret Wars 2k15. But does that really justify printing an Omnibus that gives the finger to the fans that bought it the first time since it's recollected entirely with even more content in this new Omnibus? And they're going to try and push it at the $125 price point when the first one clearanced out for as low as $25, meaning retailers probably bought it for pocket change? Not to mention you can still buy new copies of it for $35 right this very moment.

This is just dumb. Unless Marvel is giving this an absolute minuscule print run for the die-hard Squadron Supreme fans who they're banking will double dip in classic comic collector fashion, this book is going to be on clearance in 2019. I will be in shock if this thing breaks the 683 mark that the first book did.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

SECRET WARS: LAST DAYS OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE OHC Cover:

THANOS: THE INFINITY FINALE OGN-OHC Cover:

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE AVENGERS VOL. 16 HC Cover:

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dougtron View Post
    On a different note shouldn't the Marvel Knights Cap collection be part of the Epic line?
    They'll release it as a Complete Collection now, then rebrand it as an Epic Collection if/when they reach that point in the Captain America line. Classic double dipping strategy!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Well that crappy Ultimate Universe Beginnings Omni was 1/2 reprint of the Ultimates and USM Omnis.
    Now, that's true. I forgot about that one (not too hard to do ). And what happened to that Omnibus? We know it shifted well under 300 units.

Re: the Droids and Ewoks omnibus:

What's even more irritating to me (one who doesn't care too much about things being oversized), Dark Horse put out a nearly identical omnibus already! It contained Droids 1-8, Ewoks 1-14, and "An Ewok Adventure", which was a comic strip included with an old Golden Books kids book.

It did not include the 1988 UK-only Annual, but that's because that Annual contained two reprints and three prose stories -- no new comics.

All of this cost $20-25 or so. It was not oversized (indeed, it was undersized), but it was about as comprehensive at a quarter of the price or less.

Just wow at the price versus page count on the Master of Kung-fu Omnibus. It makes the X-tax looks fair and reasonable.

Scratching my head on the classic Squadron Supreme omnibus as well. Is there perhaps a Squadron Supreme show in the works?

Face palm on the Star Wars Droids and Ewoks omnibus....

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    The Shang-Chi Omnibusses were once amongst my biggest wants. Looking at the price and page count has put me slightly off. Other than the fact that quite a few of us have been waiting for them, now I know why they've been hyping them so much. Cory also mentioning that they won't likely see reprints is probably another plug in order to make some of us rush out and preorder copies.

The Squadron Supreme Classic Omnibus has set a precedent what with reprinting previously Omnibussed material. I wonder what else awaits us? Saying that, I'm interested in purchasing it.
    The price point has put me off even trying it.

The Squadron Supreme omnibus version 2 is annoying. I very much hope it doesnt set a random precedent of Marvel forcing double dips when it comes to omnibusses. To much of that, and I'd likely give up collecting.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    Just wow at the price versus page count on the Master of Kung-fu Omnibus. It makes the X-tax looks fair and reasonable.

Scratching my head on the classic Squadron Supreme omnibus as well. Is there perhaps a Squadron Supreme show in the works?

Face palm on the Star Wars Droids and Ewoks omnibus....
    Yeah, and yet we had Cory pushing that book so hard. It's a clear price gouge. At that page count, they could likely have had whatever they are putting in book 2 in with book 1. Same as with the upcoming Dr Strange stuff.

Marvel have recognised there is a growing fan base for omnibusses and is now gouging us, but on the oddest things. The consistency is just all over the place regarding price points and page counts.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    I'd really love to hear Marvel's rationale behind the new Squadron Supreme Omnibus. The first one only moved 683 copies back in it's first month on sale in November 2010. And it was so overprinted that Marvel sold off an estimated 1900 copies to the direct market alone in 2013, not to mention what they sold at fire sale prices to other non-direct-market retailers.

Much like the Inhumans usurping Mutants, Marvel seems to be on a Squadron Supreme push that no one asked for post-Secret Wars 2k15. But does that really justify printing an Omnibus that gives the finger to the fans that bought it the first time since it's recollected entirely with even more content in this new Omnibus? And they're going to try and push it at the $125 price point when the first one clearanced out for as low as $25, meaning retailers probably bought it for pocket change? Not to mention you can still buy new copies of it for $35 right this very moment.

This is just dumb. Unless Marvel is giving this an absolute minuscule print run for the die-hard Squadron Supreme fans who they're banking will double dip in classic comic collector fashion, this book is going to be on clearance in 2019. I will be in shock if this thing breaks the 683 mark that the first book did.
    Exactly. Fans need not feel put out about the situation; the new SS omni is a guaranteed clearance book if there ever was one. If the same person bears responsibility for this book, Marvel 90's omnibus, and Ultimate sampler omnibus, that person's job is in danger.

And Marvel truly, surely lost my money with Master of Kung-Fu. I've never read it before, but given the hype and a decent price, I would not have been able to resist. Now I am completely content to pass. If people had any self-control this would make it to clearance given the size/price ratio alone.
    Last edited by invisiblegardener; 11-17-2015 at 03:31 PM.

I echo the sentiments on Master Of Kung Fu. I think $125 books RRP at £99 and then get reduced online to between £50 and £60. I'm trying to think back to how much I paid for Alias which I think is in the 700 page area. I feel around £35 is reasonable for something I want at that page count for Marvel but I don't see a book at that original price point dropping that far.

What's the MK Cap material like? I still haven't got myself a copy of Black Panther by Priest yet, I was desperate for collections of that stuff and I just lost interest in Marvel by the time it was actually released. They keep almost completely pulling me back in to where I was a year and a half ago then find a new way to push me to explore other areas and spend my money there.

The Squadron Supreme omnibus is somewhat a blessing in disguise. Most of the stories collected in it suck. All you need is the initial omnibus, which you can still get for relatively cheap. Don't screw around with this new one. In fact, I think my LCS has some for half off. I live in the US. I can check and he'll take orders over the phone. I did this for another member hear who wanted the Elektra omnibus (before it was announced that it would be reissued).

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I was kind of interested in MoKF, having never actually read the material before. There's no way in hell I'm spending a 125 cover price on it, even with an online discount. And that's not even considering how few pages it has. Why the hell do they think people will paybthat mcuh for it? Aside from hardcore fans of the book, no ome in their right mind would spend that much on it.
    Cyclops was right

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dougtron View Post
    On a different note shouldn't the Marvel Knights Cap collection be part of the Epic line?
    As I understand it, the Epic Collections are for the original volumes of each series.

The Marvel Knights series was technically Captain America vol. 4, I believe...?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

There must be some specific criteria for Epics otherwise you could argue that any collection should be an Epic. I'd be chuffed with a Knauf's Iron Man Epic though, or something, anything.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    As I understand it, the Epic Collections are for the original volumes of each series.

The Marvel Knights series was technically Captain America vol. 4, I believe...?
    I thought they were supposed to be just for specific characters or teams, covering all their major appearances, but what you said would make sense. But I'm not entirely sure that is that case either because Moon Knight for example collects all his appearances prior to his own series and I know other Epics definitely collect stuff outside of a specific title run.