Page 52 of 1383 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556621021525521052 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

So... someone should show all of the kung-fu outrage in this thread to Cory Sedlmeier. Marvel pricing fools are crushing his dreams.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dougtron View Post
    I thought they were supposed to be just for specific characters or teams, covering all their major appearances, but what you said would make sense. But I'm not entirely sure that is that case either because Moon Knight for example collects all his appearances prior to his own series and I know other Epics definitely collect stuff outside of a specific title run.
    The original line up of Epic Collection series - Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America - were indeed intended to eventually give the reader a complete collection of each titles original run (#1-??), albeit released in non-chronological order. The only issues outside the proper title I've seen included are annuals, and in Avengers case, an OGN.

You are correct however, concerning the more recent additions to the line. Moon Knight, Silver Surfer, Wolverine... they've each broken the pattern by including appearances pre-dating said characters original ongoing series.

If none of this makes sense I'm sure someone else can put it more succinctly.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblegardener View Post
    So... someone should show all of the kung-fu outrage in this thread to Cory Sedlmeier. Marvel pricing fools are crushing his dreams.
    I feel like the only way we can voice it is with our wallets. Marvel saw how their over printing only lead to fire sales so the print runs have changed. We've gone from New Avengers being on shelves for years to books like Annhilation selling out.

But if people refuse to pay Marvel for MOKF is the message "we don't like the price" or "we don't like the content"?

And since marvel already thinks we're fine with prices (I don't mean to continually shame the People who bought the Hawkeye omni, but...) then not buying it would just mean niche titles in a niche format in a niche market in a shrinking print industry is just too risky.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Yeah, and yet we had Cory pushing that book so hard. It's a clear price gouge. At that page count, they could likely have had whatever they are putting in book 2 in with book 1. Same as with the upcoming Dr Strange stuff.
    I don't frequent those Marvel MMW boards, but what is the reaction to this news over there? Are people gushing about just having the Shang Chi omni at all, or are they expressing the same frustrations?

I know Cory hangs out there, so I'm curious if they're telling it like it is, or if everything is rosy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    There must be some specific criteria for Epics otherwise you could argue that any collection should be an Epic. I'd be chuffed with a Knauf's Iron Man Epic though, or something, anything.
    Right. Like the Thor Corps book in the solicits. Why isn't that an epic?

I'm interested in the story, but why would I get a $30 tpb in yet another format that's just 250 pages, when the same material will, in theory, be collected for the same price with 200 more pages...

EDIT:
    I understand the logic from 2 sides:
    1) Some people aren't collecting Epics, so if this was packaged as one they wouldn't get it, and now they might.
    2) Somebody might love this story so much, and since we have no realistic idea when this content would ever be released in Epic format they're going to pull the trigger now and eventually double-dip.

But:
    1) At that price point, it just doesn't make sense to me, as someone who hasn't started collecting Epics.
    2) This material doesn't strike me as must-have, people pining for it. I think I can wait this one out.
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 11-18-2015 at 01:07 AM.

Incredible Member

Got a question: how's the story in The Dark Tower? I was thinking of picking up the omnibus slipcase hc. Just wanted some opinions before I drop a wad of cash on it. I know Jae Lee does some of the art so I'm not concerned about that part.

This new MMW Avengers Vol. 16 surprises me. It almost reprints Avengers Epic 19 from less than two years ago.
    Being this MMW on the pipeline, the Epic Collection could have covered a different gap that was not going to be covered by a new volume so quickly.

Anyway, I updated the spreadsheet with the new MMW Avengers Vol. 16 and the Amazon phising for Avengers Epic 16.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1015254788
    Last edited by producte; 11-18-2015 at 01:27 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The original line up of Epic Collection series - Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America - were indeed intended to eventually give the reader a complete collection of each titles original run (#1-??), albeit released in non-chronological order. The only issues outside the proper title I've seen included are annuals, and in Avengers case, an OGN.
    There are also mini-series, one-shots, issues from other series that are cross-overs... Although we never should not expect every appearance of a given character/team included.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    You are correct however, concerning the more recent additions to the line. Moon Knight, Silver Surfer, Wolverine... they've each broken the pattern by including appearances pre-dating said characters original ongoing series.
    With Wolverine, having that Marvel Comics Presents story is like having Amazing Fantasy #15 in first Spider-Man Epic - it's like a pilot of the regular series that followed. Silver Surfer vol. 1 I understand less, but at least they made it stop before actual Silver Surfer first series, so people can skip it (and since the books don't have numbers on spines it won't bother those who get annoyed but those kind of things). Moon Knight is... well, stupid, I'd say. Even before Moench/Sienkiewicz series there was a string of Moon Knight features in various anthologies, all (I think) done by Moench, which should be treated as a sort of regular series. And that makes not including Moon Knight's later guest appearances he had during ongoing nto being consistent. The same will probably happen with X-Men: all those random guest appearances of Iceman in Amazing Spider-Man when X-Men series was doing reprints will be included, like they were in Masterworks, but important, (often) Claremont-written guest appearances will be skipped, because they happened while X-Men had their own series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Right. Like the Thor Corps book in the solicits. Why isn't that an epic?
    Because it's not a part of the Thor Epic Collection that reprints all of (at the moment) first Thor series. Book has a mini and seven non-sequential issues of Thor. Just like Daredevil: Typhoid's Kiss is not an Epic.

On more general note, there has been really annoying Epic-fetishism lately. Everything has to be "EPIC". It's not like Marvel is not allowed to publish other 400-500 trades, they can do it. And there's no reason why people can't buy Man-Thing, Howard the Duck or Frankenstein's Monster collections, although some of them are thinking they can't because the spine on those books looks different. In case someone didn't do their math, at this point there's way too many Epic lines, and they're coming out way too slow to add more of it or having things like late 90s X-Men or post Heroes Reborn Captain America volumes to come out as Epics. There's already pretty slim chance that Amazing Spider-Man #1-393 (current most sensible stopping point) or whole first Avengers or Iron Man series come out in Epic (because currently it looks like it will take more than 20 years), so let's not want to make it even slimmer.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Following up on my earlier reply to Captain Craig’s question regarding Omnibusses moving more than 2000 units in their premiere month, I can confirm that in the last 4.5 years (I went back as far as April 2011) only Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 2 made the cut with 2,251 units in April 2014. I’ve detailed below those that came very close:

SHIELD Complete Collection Omnibus – 1,983 (October 2015)
    Deadpool Minibus – 1,954 (September 2014)
    Star Wars The Marvel Years Omnibus Vol. 1 – 1,887 (January 2015)
    Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus – 1,837 (July 2014)

For those interested, the Thor Simonson Omnibus achieved a figure of 1,612 in April 2011.

I can imagine that Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 3 will come very close to the 2000 mark. The $125 price tag, however, may prove to be a hindrance in surpassing it.

Spectacular Member

With the release of SECRET WARS: LAST DAY OF THE MU, I hope it means they will release the tie-ins in Omnibus as well!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Is Alias must read? The omnibus is selling at discount at IST

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    like continuity wise? Maybe, since Jessica later becomes an Avenger and they are together with Luke and the whole thing starts here.
    Must read as a good comic? Hell yeah! Even if you dislike Bendis' writing it's one of his best work alongside with DD (it's kind of a spin off of his DD).

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Worth a buy if you plan on watching the Netflix shows imo.

Quote Originally Posted by producte View Post
    This new MMW Avengers Vol. 16 surprises me. It almost reprints Avengers Epic 19 from less than two years ago.
    Being this MMW on the pipeline, the Epic Collection could have covered a different gap that was not going to be covered by a new volume so quickly.

Anyway, I updated the spreadsheet with the new MMW Avengers Vol. 16 and the Amazon phising for Avengers Epic 16.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1015254788
    I noticed that when it came out - I was gonna get it, but realized the MMWs will catch up with that in a year or so, so I didn't get it. Glad I didn't. Avengers is the only series where I collect all the MMWs, the others I get Epics or just random things here and there.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Following up on my earlier reply to Captain Craig’s question regarding Omnibusses moving more than 2000 units in their premiere month, I can confirm that in the last 4.5 years (I went back as far as April 2011) only Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 2 made the cut with 2,251 units in April 2014. I’ve detailed below those that came very close:

SHIELD Complete Collection Omnibus – 1,983 (October 2015)
    Deadpool Minibus – 1,954 (September 2014)
    Star Wars The Marvel Years Omnibus Vol. 1 – 1,887 (January 2015)
    Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus – 1,837 (July 2014)

For those interested, the Thor Simonson Omnibus achieved a figure of 1,612 in April 2011.

I can imagine that Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 3 will come very close to the 2000 mark. The $125 price tag, however, may prove to be a hindrance in surpassing it.
    Thanks for doing that, it really helps w/perspective on units moved for upcoming Omnis when we see the results now.
    Perhaps the OP or a Mod can make a line item in our initial post. Something like Top 5/10 selling Omni's and use the ones you've compiled so far as a starting point.
    Sound good to anyone else?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime