Page 520 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 204204705105165175185195205215225235245305706201020 ... LastLast
Results 7,786 to 7,800 of 20773
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Depends on what your collection looks like. I usually only put OOP books & full collections on eBay. The rest I donate to my local library.

Obviously you aren't going to get as much of a return as you probably want, but you hit the nail on the head. It takes time and effort to list items online to sell. And with fees, shipping costs, buying boxes & bubble wrap, it adds up fast.

Most of what I have are omnibuses and deluxe hardcovers. I also have some oop tpbs. I guess I'll keep plugging away. I don't HAVE to sell them.

There hasn't been anything said about this yet, but I wanted to flag for people the just-released Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Newspaper Strips Volume 1.

They've actually included some newspaper strip comics that were never collected by Dark Horse, and at least some are presented in their original format, rather than being resized for their re-release as issues entited "Classic Star Wars". This wasn't in the original solicitation, and I'm glad they've thrown at least some of them in.

I own the Dark Horse TPBs collecting these, but I'm sorely tempted to donate those and buy these Epics.

Quote Originally Posted by kdjac0434 View Post
    I know a few people on here have sold off their collections and I am looking for some advice. I have been going the amazon and ebay route, but its kind of tiresome making all the listings and the fees really eat up a lot of the sale price. Has anyone found a good alternative? I have tons that I'm looking to get rid of and its become quite the task.
    I go thru various cycles of buying HC, comics, etc on a whim, reading them, then later selling them off. For me eBay is fine. I've had the best luck starting prices at 0.99c for something that's in-demand. More people tend to bid when they feel like they're getting a deal. And if it's high in demand, usually you get market value or higher for the item. For stuff that's older or not in as much demand, I typically set the price of the item at the minimum value I'd be happy letting it go for. If it doesn't sell, no skin off my nose, I'll just keep it.

Years ago, I sold on amazon marketplace for a while. I did ok, but it got to where people would frequently claim "shipping damage" and then I'd have to refund their purchase or amazon would lock down my account. After that I gave up and fold up shop on amazon.com. It got to the point where I was not making enough cash to cover the losses on "damage" which, let's be honest, about 90% of the time was folks just looking to get something for free.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    There hasn't been anything said about this yet, but I wanted to flag for people the just-released Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Newspaper Strips Volume 1.

They've actually included some newspaper strip comics that were never collected by Dark Horse, and at least some are presented in their original format, rather than being resized for their re-release as issues entited "Classic Star Wars". This wasn't in the original solicitation, and I'm glad they've thrown at least some of them in.

I own the Dark Horse TPBs collecting these, but I'm sorely tempted to donate those and buy these Epics.
    I was excited to see this offered as an Epic initially too and had it on my want list for months since the solicitation. Then, about two weeks ago, I saw this from IDW:

"Star Wars: The Classic Newspaper Strips Vol. 1

Oversized 11” x 8.5” full-color hardcover-with-dustjacket, 264 pp.

The first of three volumes that reprint for the first time the classic Star Wars newspaper strip from 1979-1984 in its complete format — including each Sunday title header and “bonus” panels in their meticulously restored original color. Initially the color Sundays and B&W dailies told separate stories, but within six months the incomparable Russ Manning merged the adventures to tell brand new epic seven-days-a-week sagas that rivaled the best science fiction comics of all time. Volume One contains 575 sequential comic strips from the strip’s premiere on March 11, 1979 to October 5, 1980."

Set for an April release

Here's a link: http://loac.idwpublishing.com/shop/s...942-1944-copy/

Spectacular Member Squall Leonhart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post
    Is Byrne's Alpha Flight good? I've read somewhere that it is considered one of Byrne's best work, but I could not even finish his F4 run - I attribute this to F4 rather than Byrne as I'm not into the team that much, outside of Hickman's run.
    I also could not get into Byrne's Fantastic Four. I was most of the way through the first omni and sold it.

I really enjoy his:

UXM run
    Marvel Universe by Byrne Omnibus
    Avengers

And recently bought Alpha Flight.

I've read Lee/Kirby FF. I've read Hickman. I enjoyed both of those more, despite preferring Byrne's art more. I want to give the run another chance mostly to have it on my shelf to match the other omnis. But I'm not the biggest FF fan

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    I'm on the fence for the Alpha Flight Omnibus. I was leaning towards not getting it, but it's tempting with 50% off release week discount. I bought the first couple of Classic TPBs several years back and just couldn't get into the characters very much. I was looking forward to it; I really enjoy at-his-peak-1980s Byrne (X-Men, FF, Superman, West Coast Avengers, She-Hulk, etc) but for whatever reason Alpha Flight just didn't interest me all that much. To me, it just seemed ... kinda boring.

Still, that being said, I'm kind of on the fence about it just for completeness sake. I mean, the Omnibus is a pretty good deal. You get all their early appearances up thru about 1985 (including guest appearances in Hulk, etc) for $50 bucks on release week, which is a steal.
    The reason Byrne left the title was that he was bored with it. He convinced Bill Mantlo to swap Hulk with him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Has anyone read the Dan Jurgens/JRjr Thor trades? The ones with the late 90s/early 00s material.

I've just realized it's the only reprinted Thor I don't own (literally), so that's making me curious about picking them up. But then I saw the prices Marvel slapped on them and I got sticker shock. Really wasn't expecting that for thin, older TPBs released in, like, 2010. Anyway, it's more than I want to spend to blind buy it all, so . . .

Thoughts?
    I thought this run and the whole volume was excellent but I also read it when it came out so I can't testify whether it's stood the test of time. I suspect it has tho.

The title had really gone to crap and this volume revitalized Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjohnnykid View Post
    There is a group on Facebook you can try, But i don't know what it's called.
    The Omnibus Collector's™ Comic Swap and Community

It's a good group, worth a try. But you can only sell below or for cover + shipping + fees (as in paypal fees or any sales tax you have to pay in the USA. I have no idea about US sales taxes, it boggles my mind that if you go to a shop you have to pay cover + sales tax.)

Spectacular Member Squall Leonhart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I thought this run and the whole volume was excellent but I also read it when it came out so I can't testify whether it's stood the test of time. I suspect it has tho.

The title had really gone to crap and this volume revitalized Thor.
    I own the 'Thor vs. Thanos' trade and the art was great but the story was terrible. Terrible. And I love me some Thanos.

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    I was excited to see this offered as an Epic initially too and had it on my want list for months since the solicitation. Then, about two weeks ago, I saw this from IDW:

"Star Wars: The Classic Newspaper Strips Vol. 1

Oversized 11” x 8.5” full-color hardcover-with-dustjacket, 264 pp.

The first of three volumes that reprint for the first time the classic Star Wars newspaper strip from 1979-1984 in its complete format — including each Sunday title header and “bonus” panels in their meticulously restored original color. Initially the color Sundays and B&W dailies told separate stories, but within six months the incomparable Russ Manning merged the adventures to tell brand new epic seven-days-a-week sagas that rivaled the best science fiction comics of all time. Volume One contains 575 sequential comic strips from the strip’s premiere on March 11, 1979 to October 5, 1980."

Set for an April release

Here's a link: http://loac.idwpublishing.com/shop/s...942-1944-copy/
    Oh my. That looks awesome. I want it. I probably can't afford it, and may wait for more solicitations for the Epic Collections (to verify that indeed these are comprehensive, if not all in the original formatting). But that's certainly tempting.

I hope they do more like that, actually. There were a bunch of webcomic strips (tying into both the original depiction of the Clone Wars, especially around 2005-2006, and during Seasons 1-2 of The Clone Wars cartoon) that were never collected, which might make cool books like that.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Has anyone read the Dan Jurgens/JRjr Thor trades? The ones with the late 90s/early 00s material.

I've just realized it's the only reprinted Thor I don't own (literally), so that's making me curious about picking them up. But then I saw the prices Marvel slapped on them and I got sticker shock. Really wasn't expecting that for thin, older TPBs released in, like, 2010. Anyway, it's more than I want to spend to blind buy it all, so . . .

Thoughts?
    I really liked the first 12 issues, but I'm a sucker for JRJR art. I haven't read past that yet.
    Cyclops was right

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Thoughts?
    They're garbage. Jurgens pulls out a Deus ex Machina in every story and it's just silly.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member

Two questions:

1. Are the Amazing Adventures issues chronicling Beasts transformation into his blue, furry form collected anywhere besides the MMWs and Essentials?

2. What are the pros/cons of Marvels matte paper vs glossy paper. I've never really thought much before why some collections use the matte paper and others use glossy. Off the top of my head the only reasoning I could think of is that matte is used as a modern stand in for comics which were originally printed on newsprint paper.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dougtron View Post
    2. What are the pros/cons of Marvels matte paper vs glossy paper. I've never really thought much before why some collections use the matte paper and others use glossy. Off the top of my head the only reasoning I could think of is that matte is used as a modern stand in for comics which were originally printed on newsprint paper.
    While matte is often used for reprints of old material, it's not a guarantee. It does transfer the older colors much better than glossy, which just looks garish and blinding to my eyes. My biggest pet peeve with glossy paper is the fact that I can't seem to find any lighting* that doesn't create a ton of glare, requiring me to tilt the book all over the place until I find a good angle.

*Besides natural light. But who goes outside these days?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Dougtron View Post
    Two questions:

1. Are the Amazing Adventures issues chronicling Beasts transformation into his blue, furry form collected anywhere besides the MMWs and Essentials?

1. They only other place they're collected comprehensively to my knowledge is in an edition of the UK Hachette partworks magazine series.

2. SJNeal explained it well above. I'll add that people sometimes confuse paper brightness with the finish, when really it's not related. That said, matte paper sometimes takes full color coverage (like a black page) in a way that shows the grain or "toothiness" of the paper. Especially with black, the texture can make the black seem less absolute. By contrast, gloss paper tends to take full color coverage in a smoother fashion and blacks look flat and inky, and modern comics definitely use a lot more ink on the page as a result.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!