Page 54 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758641041545541054 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    So im one who dosnt have the first SS omni. Should I get the first or the new one? I like the idea of having more material, but I know nothing about the series.
    The first one is of the old higher quality construction. It's not often you can reasonably predict a future clearance omni, but I would put money on this one being that. The first one could be had for $20-30 up to two years after it's release (haven't checked prices recently). If you can wait for a few years, or possibly less on this one, you can have more issues in a lower quality build. I picked it up about a year and half ago going in blind, because it was a cheap book and figured what the heck for $20 and loved the story, so I would definitely recommend getting one of them. The choice boils down to issue count verse build quality. If you are going to go for new print definitely ride out the time it is about as big a lock for clearance as you can have imo.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Marvel's misguided confidence in Squadron Supreme entertains me to no end.
    Right?! They need to stop trying to make Squadron Supreme happen. It's never going to happen.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Right?! They need to stop trying to make Squadron Supreme happen. It's never going to happen.
    It happened once (1985-6) and that is all we need!

Incredible Member

Maybe Marvel Studios is thinking they're going to have to pull the trigger on Squadron Supreme or something in Phase 4. There's probably an emergency box in Feige's office with a glass plate that says "Break in case Fantastic Four rights don't revert" then you pull a lever to put a Squadron Supreme film into production and begin the Squadron Supreme Epic Collection line.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Maybe Marvel Studios is thinking they're going to have to pull the trigger on Squadron Supreme or something in Phase 4. There's probably an emergency box in Feige's office with a glass plate that says "Break in case Fantastic Four rights don't revert" then you pull a lever to put a Squadron Supreme film into production and begin the Squadron Supreme Epic Collection line.
    "No. More. Epics."

Where's Wanda when you need her?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    SS is far too close to Justice League. Fans aren't stupid. It works in comics as a sort of tongue in cheek thing. In film, it'll damage the Marvel brand and have people calling rip off in no time
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    For what it will cost online, I am okay with $62.50 for the MOKF omnibus. I assume cost of restoration, plus the licensing to Sax Rohmer are the reason.

The Squadron Supreme omni is a bummer, though. It would be nice to have a companion instead.
    Lucky Americans with you super discounts. Everyone else doesnt get that sadly.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wisdom View Post
    In case someone didn't do their math, at this point there's way too many Epic lines, and they're coming out way too slow to add more of it or having things like late 90s X-Men or post Heroes Reborn Captain America volumes to come out as Epics. There's already pretty slim chance that Amazing Spider-Man #1-393 (current most sensible stopping point) or whole first Avengers or Iron Man series come out in Epic (because currently it looks like it will take more than 20 years), so let's not want to make it even slimmer.
    Well...I like to subscribe to the belief that "buy what you like and leave the rest alone" mentality. What I'm saying related to comics is, if you wanted to and don't mind many different versions of trade dress, you could almost have a full run of key Marvel titles (Spidey, X-Men, Avengers, FF, Hulk, etc) by picking up the various HCs/TPs that have been collected over the years. I can't see why anyone would want to wait 20 years or whatever to have them all in Epic trade dress. Some guy over on the MMW MBs refused to pick up "complete collections" because they were technically different from "Epic collections". In my opinion that's insane. He'd rather not have the material, than have it with a different spine & trade dress than his other books. Crazy.

Two to three years ago I made it a goal of mine to try and track down a full run of several key Marvel series: Hulk, ASM, FF, Avengers, UXM. Using the MMW's as a starting point I got very, very far. In fact, I have every UXM issue from #1 in '63 all the way to 2011 that's been collected, using Krisis' guide. Several of the later 90s and early 00s TPs are kind of hard to find, but not impossible. For the Hulk it was pretty easy and I actually wrote my own guide (and posted it on a previous iteration of this thread). Spidey was also pretty easy, there were only 2-3 MMW HCs that I had trouble tracking down. Even then, I only paid over cover for 3 volumes out of all five of those series. For Hulk & Spidey I also used the Essentials to plug a few holes that the MMWs hadn't yet covered.

If I remember correctly as of this winter's new releases:
    X-Men will only have a gap from #176-188, then a gap from 1995-1997ish.
    Avengers has a gap in the early #200s, and a fairly substantial gap in the #300s. If I can get a full set up to around #330 with Avengers I'm happy.
    FF has a small gap in the early #200s before Byrne starts, then another in the early #310s to the Simonson issues, then again from mid #300s to #400ish. I'd read FF all the way to Heroes Reborn.
    Hulk has a gap from 320-330 that has never been filled, otherwise you can get every single issue from #269-408 in a row. I'll take any hulk collections I can get!
    Spidey has a gap in the early #200s before Stern's run, a small one form 273-289, then #350-393. Same as with Hulk, if they print 'em, I'll buy 'em and put them in order.

So if you don't mind mixing formats, you can get very close to having a complete series run in collected format.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Thank you! I personally think Incredible Hulk and Daredevil are the only series worthy (for lack of a better term) of joining the original Epic Collection lineup. The others have just diluted the brand.
    I agree with this. All the classic, historic Marvel series that ran for years and years and years until the reboot happy late '90s should be collected in full. If for nothing else, the historical significance of doing so. Marvel used to have so many titles with huge issue #s. I always liked the feeling of reading a series that had been around for years & years. Avengers, UXM, FF, Spidey, Hulk, DD, Iron Man, Thor, etc. I can understand why stuff like Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Silver Surfer, etc is being released but in my opinion it dilutes the line and slows down the releases of the core books.

I like the epic collections. I wish they would add Punisher. I think I like every line started in the epics.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Got a question: how's the story in The Dark Tower? I was thinking of picking up the omnibus slipcase hc. Just wanted some opinions before I drop a wad of cash on it. I know Jae Lee does some of the art so I'm not concerned about that part.
    The story is really good, but I was a Dark Tower fan going on. They do a great job on the omnibus and having all the extras with it. Both omnibus are great and collect a mix of adaptions of the books and expanding stories that only get mentioned in the novels.

Quote Originally Posted by billabonghotrod View Post
    Not happy about the SS Classic omnibus. Would have rather seen the JMS MAX series and the tie-ins put in an omnibus.
    +1
    hell yeah!
    The only thing is, I've read it ages ago and remember loving it but IIRC it didn't really have an ending, a closure I mean it just ended when JMS left or something. Am I remembering correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    So im one who dosnt have the first SS omni. Should I get the first or the new one? I like the idea of having more material, but I know nothing about the series.
    I get the "bang for my buck" thinking but I don't think this new omni is gonna worth it.
    One reason is the build quality. You get a thicker book with the current, poor build quality, that not gonna last for all eternity while the old omni is a superior build and a slimmer book, so lasts longer and easier to read.
    Also, the SS appearances I've read were kinda meh or alright but they are basically just a substitute for the JLA so they can do a JLA vs Avengers every now and then without licence issues.
    IMHO the Gruenwald omni collects all the material you need, that's so far the best SS story, basically the definitive one. The rest is like putting together old Charlton comics with Watchmen in an omni. Or the Black casebook with the rest of Morrison's Batman.
    If you live in the states you can get the old omni for like $20-30.

Anyone heard any news on Black Friday sales?

IST's running a fairly sizable 50-70% off sale right now. That'll probably be as good as we'll get there. Haven't seen anything on CGN yet.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Anyone heard any news on Black Friday sales?

IST's running a fairly sizable 50-70% off sale right now. That'll probably be as good as we'll get there. Haven't seen anything on CGN yet.
    Been waiting to see anything announced. CGN usually does a big one with good stuff but I cannot remember when they announce it. We are pretty close to Black Friday.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I like the epic collections. I wish they would add Punisher. I think I like every line started in the epics.
    Punisher Epic is a good argument for a Silver Surfer/Moon Knight style vol 1: ASM 129, and all the misc appearances + the 5 issue mini and then perhaps start alternating the series with war journal to fill out the rest + next volumes. Now that I think about it,a Punisher Omni is probably overdue.