Page 56 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960661061565561056 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by alb2009 View Post
    So i hurried up my order for the alias omni after someone said demand would skyrocket after the show. Thankfully got it from IST before they removed the 45% discount. I was planning to read it before watching the show but it has only gotten here today. To those of you who have watched or are watching the show currently, which do you think i should tackle first? The omni or the show? Does the show follow the book too closely or might it ruin some things in the book?
    Three episodes in, leaving out personal opinion of the show since that's subjective, I'd say read the omnibus first. From the start, the show's villain and Jessica's motivations are based on revelations from last story of the omnibus, so it will spoil that right away. And as a result of skipping to that story from the comics, the majority of the book will read like a lead-in to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Three episodes in, leaving out personal opinion of the show since that's subjective, I'd say read the omnibus first. From the start, the show's villain and Jessica's motivations are based on revelations from last story of the omnibus, so it will spoil that right away. And as a result of skipping to that story from the comics, the majority of the book will read like a lead-in to the show.
    agreed (two episodes in). Also, it's engaging and reads well so you would be done with it in no time.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

So i hurried up my order for the alias omni after someone said demand would skyrocket after the show. Thankfully got it from IST before they removed the 45% discount. I was planning to read it before watching the show but it has only gotten here today. To those of you who have watched or are watching the show currently, which do you think i should tackle first? The omni or the show? Does the show follow the book too closely or might it ruin some things in the book?
    I'm three episodes in and I say omni first! The show's amazing though, great, great stuff.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Thought i'd share my second wave of X-Men Dust Jackets. I worked out a few kinks with them, mostly some sizing problems not translating into printing but now they are near perfect. I'm only posting the close ups of editions I've changed, for the most part I only change the spine unless the entire edition needed redoing because it's just TOO ugly (like Phalanx Covenant, that is a fugly book).

Very nice indeed.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I say show first. Leave yourself surprised rather than know a lot.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I say show first. Leave yourself surprised rather than know a lot.
    it would be interesting to see someone's opinion who watched the show first and then read the book because I think the show would ruin the book a bit but the book wouldn't ruin the show. But maybe I'm wrong.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    it would be interesting to see someone's opinion who watched the show first and then read the book because I think the show would ruin the book a bit but the book wouldn't ruin the show. But maybe I'm wrong.
    Agreed. The "surprise" in the book comes after 20 issues of build-up and in the show it's revealed within the first episode. I would say book first
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Thought i'd share my second wave of X-Men Dust Jackets. I worked out a few kinks with them, mostly some sizing problems not translating into printing but now they are near perfect. I'm only posting the close ups of editions I've changed, for the most part I only change the spine unless the entire edition needed redoing because it's just TOO ugly (like Phalanx Covenant, that is a fugly book).

Wow, those are very beautiful. If you ever think of going to sell these, let me know

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

I would absolutely read Alias the series before watching Jessica Jones the show. The first episode jumps from quoting the first issue to flirting with the final arc.

Those are AMAZING. The production design is better than most of Marvel's recent hardcovers. I can't imagine how much work went into getting the logos and graphics right since these issues were before the era of hi-res logo-free previews online.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

They look perfect.

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Those customs look amazing.

Sorry if this has been brought up already but I'm at the point where I have a decent sized collection with quite a few heavy books. Like many others, I prefer my books to be read and then stored for collecting/display purposes. Lately, I've been reading about how storing your books vertically will pull the text block from the book thanks to our friend gravity. Obviously, I would like to avoid this. However, the only solutions I have come across are either laying the books down horizontally or getting/creating a "book-shoe" to support the text. I guess I have several questions?

1. Are you guys worried about the longevity of your collections down the road (~10-15 years from now)? Have you thought about it? If so, how are you making sure your collection stays in good shape?

2. A lot of you have collections of equal, and a lot of times bigger, size than I do. Do you collectors do anything special with your books?

3. Do any of you just store your books horizontally?

I just want to make sure my collection lasts. I/We spend a lot of money on this books for the love of the medium and it would suck if eventually over even a couple of years our books become damaged. Please let me know what you guys do because it is something I've been thinking a lot about and there seems to be a lack of discussion/information on the topic.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Those are AMAZING. The production design is better than most of Marvel's recent hardcovers. I can't imagine how much work went into getting the logos and graphics right since these issues were before the era of hi-res logo-free previews online.
    Thanks A LOT of hunting, some of the new art is on comixology's collection editions but most of it I just scanned, cleaned up in photoshop and trial and error until they came out looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    Wow! Beautiful work! I'd love to have that uniform look you've achieved for those volumes next to my other X omnis.
    The lack of uniformity was one of the big reasons I redid them, that and several OHCs weren't labelled as omnibuses when they really should have been.

Also with the book versus show argument the book inspired and informed the show. With it being a self contained, complete run I think it's even more important to read the book first. The show also dealing with the books most important arc so it will take away from the book whereas the other way around will just add things to show. There are frames and easter eggs that are tributes to the book. It's not like a Daredevil character where there are years of stories to enjoy after you watch the show. I know there is The Pulse but after watching two episodes the series is all Alias.

On a personal level I'd always want to experience a character how they are meant to be first.

I store my really big books horizontally but I'm running out of space big time. I only stack them two high because I think any more is too much. I also rotate what books are on top every few months. I'm going to switch to the post-it note method soon as my first omnibus suffered from the page block sagging and flattening the top of the binding. I won't put them on the shelf vertically without support regardless of how well built the book is once I'm forced to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Those customs look amazing.

Sorry if this has been brought up already but I'm at the point where I have a decent sized collection with quite a few heavy books. Like many others, I prefer my books to be read and then stored for collecting/display purposes. Lately, I've been reading about how storing your books vertically will pull the text block from the book thanks to our friend gravity. Obviously, I would like to avoid this. However, the only solutions I have come across are either laying the books down horizontally or getting/creating a "book-shoe" to support the text. I guess I have several questions?

1. Are you guys worried about the longevity of your collections down the road (~10-15 years from now)? Have you thought about it? If so, how are you making sure your collection stays in good shape?

2. A lot of you have collections of equal, and a lot of times bigger, size than I do. Do you collectors do anything special with your books?

3. Do any of you just store your books horizontally?

I just want to make sure my collection lasts. I/We spend a lot of money on this books for the love of the medium and it would suck if eventually over even a couple of years our books become damaged. Please let me know what you guys do because it is something I've been thinking a lot about and there seems to be a lack of discussion/information on the topic.
    Your questions in order:

1) I have a rather large collection so I do care a bit about longevity for some books. Some books I've read so many times I'm surprised they're still good. All depends on the books and the availability of it. But I collect mainly for reading and don't see it as an investment.

2) Nothing that is too OCD (which I can be). I dust the shelves and my books weekly. I kept them covered when heavy construction was in my area. On the "shoe" front, I go back and forth. For a while I was propping up some bigger omnis. Then I moved and only a few things are propped up. No block support has had no real effect (so far) on most of my marvel books. The only noticeable shelf sag is on my bigger DC omnis, even the newer ones like Green Lantern by Johns are sagging. Marvel books are getting bigger an weaker so I will probably eventually want to support them all. I just really make sure things are clean and dust free.

3) I don't store anything horizontally stacked except new stuff that's waiting to go on the shelves. I learned this the hard way with a dark horse book that I had stored horizontally before I have proper shelves for it. I has stacked my new additions on it for a bit too long. And this was after the CBR boards warned me not to. The spine of the book is fucked and now I want to replace it.
    Last edited by Canucked; 11-21-2015 at 08:21 AM.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Also with the book versus show argument the book inspired and informed the show. With it being a self contained, complete run I think it's even more important to read the book first. The show also dealing with the books most important arc so it will take away from the book whereas the other way around will just add things to show. There are frames and easter eggs that are tributes to the book. It's not like a Daredevil character where there are years of stories to enjoy after you watch the show. I know there is The Pulse but after watching two episodes the series is all Alias.

On a personal level I'd always want to experience a character how they are meant to be first.

I store my really big books horizontally but I'm running out of space big time. I only stack them two high because I think any more is too much. I also rotate what books are on top every few months. I'm going to switch to the post-it note method soon as my first omnibus suffered from the page block sagging and flattening the top of the binding. I won't put them on the shelf vertically without support regardless of how well built the book is once I'm forced to.
    If you would be so kind, can you go in more detail about the "post-it note method"? I haven't heard of it and really would like to taking precautions for my books. Clearly these books need a support!