Page 572 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 724725225625685695705715725735745755765826226721072 ... LastLast
Results 8,566 to 8,580 of 20773
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    1) I'm not sure where you're getting the iffy on their omni bindings. The binding on all of the Marvel omnis I have is absolutely fantastic and sewn. I wish all omnis from all companies was this good. Every single page from first to last will stay open on its own and every page will lay as flat as could ever be expected with virtually no gutter loss.
    Do you own recent Omnis ? I'm diasppointed by the binding and "stiff" spine of Alpha Flight and Daredevil Silver Age Vol 1... Both books DON'T stay open from page 1 like previous omnis and there is gutter loss (well there would be if there were a lot of double page spreads). I was wondering if it's a problem with my copies or if it's a generalized "problem" for very recent Marvel omnis ?

Fantastic Member

Oh I'm completely familiar with the Omnis. I like them a lot and I have many. I find with the newer ones, when you start to get up and over the 1000 page area the bindings start to feel less structurally sound, lol. I do really like the oversized art and I really don't like gutter loss so I'm leaning in the direction of the Omni anyway. Right now it's up for pre-order on Amazon.ca for $100 cdn so I'll wait for a juicy sale and order it then.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

As most of us here know, not all Omnis are sewn. The very first ones were glued such as the first Volumes of ASM and UXM.

I have the Silver Surfer Omnibus and it's pretty tight and hardly any of the pages stay open if any. Saying that, however, I wouldn't swap it for a reprint as it has the lovely quality pages and the faux leather cover which I'm a big fan of when it comes down to the "older" Omnis. I don't mind the current paper so much but I sorely miss the faux leather covers.

Incredible Member

I'm so desperate for shelf space that I'm hoping they release a Superior Spider-Man omnibus, just so I can trade my OHC's for them and save a few milimeters.

All-New Member

Guardians of The Galaxy by Abnett & Lanning vs War of Kings trilogy.
    I know that the War Of Kings omni trilogy collects everything the Guardians omnibus have, but somehow I find the Guardians omni more attractive.
    Not only is it cheaper - and contained in a single book - I am also primarily interested in the Guardians part of the story.
    The question is, of course, will it feel like there are holes in the story? Does the Guardians omni make sense by itself if I read it end to end, or will I feel something missing from the remainder of what fills up the War of Kings books?

Quote Originally Posted by QComix View Post
    Do you own recent Omnis ? I'm diasppointed by the binding and "stiff" spine of Alpha Flight and Daredevil Silver Age Vol 1... Both books DON'T stay open from page 1 like previous omnis and there is gutter loss (well there would be if there were a lot of double page spreads). I was wondering if it's a problem with my copies or if it's a generalized "problem" for very recent Marvel omnis ?
    I do not have either of those. I do remember seeing some complaints and photos about the oddly curved shape spine on the Alpha Flight omni though, but I never heard it actually effecting the binding, but also not saying it didn't. That's the first I've heard of anything different about the silver age Daredevil. I have recently flipped through the Realm of Kings and Waid Daredevil omni and they both were perfectly fine and just like every other one from the past couple of years.
    Believe me, I think I've got at least six definite Marvel omni buys planned for this year already, if they have really changed or screwed up their binding, I'll have no problem voicing my displeasure here.

any reason why it's impossible to get into the omnibus collectors facebook group?

Quote Originally Posted by QComix View Post
    I do not have either of those. I do remember seeing some complaints and photos about the oddly curved shape spine on the Alpha Flight omni though, but I never heard it actually effecting the binding, but also not saying it didn't. That's the first I've heard of anything different about the silver age Daredevil. I have recently flipped through the Realm of Kings and Waid Daredevil omni and they both were perfectly fine and just like every other one from the past couple of years.
    Believe me, I think I've got at least six definite Marvel omni buys planned for this year already, if they have really changed or screwed up their binding, I'll have no problem voicing my displeasure here.
    I almost never, ever complain about the build of books but that Alpha Flight is dog shit. There were numerous complaints from folks on this thread when it came out.
    The DD also has a curved spine, but I haven't unsealed and dug into my copy yet.
    (Note, I'm not sure if the curved spine has anything to do with it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    any reason why it's impossible to get into the omnibus collectors facebook group?
    Took me a loooooooooong time to get approved.
    No idea.

They will get to you. The group just hit 3000 the other day.

Spectacular Member

That's good news about RoK and Waid Daredevil having the usual Marvel binding. Hopefuly it'll be the case for all the upcoming omnis I want...

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I almost never, ever complain about the build of books but that Alpha Flight is dog shit. There were numerous complaints from folks on this thread when it came out.
    The DD also has a curved spine, but I haven't unsealed and dug into my copy yet.
    (Note, I'm not sure if the curved spine has anything to do with it.)
    My SA Daredevil spine isn't as curved as my Alpha Flight, but there's still a "stiffness" to the binding that's really unusual for Marvel omnis.

Thanks for the replies to my reprint question.

Aw, I was excited to purchase the Alpha Flight Omnibus. Is it really that shitty? Lots of gutter loss and inferior binding? That's a real shame. These Omnibuses are way too expensive for them not to be pretty much perfect.

Dazed and Confused

For what it's worth, my copy of the Alpha Flight omnibus is fine. It looks just like any of the many other ones that I have. Gutter loss is not an issue at all.

Clearly, based on the photos, there are bad copies out there, but not all of them have the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    I'm so desperate for shelf space that I'm hoping they release a Superior Spider-Man omnibus, just so I can trade my OHC's for them and save a few milimeters.
    I don't believe we have calculated the PPI (Price Per Inch) value of Omnis/OHCS. We've dropped the ball somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikLange View Post
    Guardians of The Galaxy by Abnett & Lanning vs War of Kings trilogy.
    I know that the War Of Kings omni trilogy collects everything the Guardians omnibus have, but somehow I find the Guardians omni more attractive.
    Not only is it cheaper - and contained in a single book - I am also primarily interested in the Guardians part of the story.
    The question is, of course, will it feel like there are holes in the story? Does the Guardians omni make sense by itself if I read it end to end, or will I feel something missing from the remainder of what fills up the War of Kings books?
    I haven't read it in a while, but I think it reads fine on it's own for the most part. I think only four or so issues really tie into the WoK event (the other WoK branded issues are a time travel story), so those might be a bit confusing but if memory serves the series tells you what you need to know of the outcome of WoK. As for the Prelude and Aftermath Omnis, I don't think you're missing anything integral by sticking just to the GotG Omni.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I joined a few days ago, so they've clearly met their monthly quota of cool. Try again next month