Page 58 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162681081585581058 ... LastLast

I wouldn't class it as upkeep, once their arranged on a shelf they go untouched. They are beautiful books and I love having huge chunks to read in one book.

I clean all my crap every few months anyway and the way I see it is they give me enjoyment so I look after them. I've had the same guitar for eleven years. It's done hundreds of gigs, thousands of practices, tours, recording and it only has about four marks on it and they all happened during gigs, the only time I think it's worth risking any damage. It doesn't hurt to take a bit of pride and care in things even if they aren't items that are supposed to be exposed to wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by DantonR View Post
    If these books (omnibus volumes -- the massive ones) require this kind of upkeep, what's the point of buying them?
    Sticking something under the book isn't that hard or time consuming. Many regular books need this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post

Personally, I think if I watched the show first THEN read the Omnibus, I'd be let down because I think the writing on the show, especially involving Jones and Purple Man, is much better than in the Omnibus. Obviously the show has a tremendous advantage of drawing from the source material and fine tuning the stories and characters and then present it all in a different medium. So it's an inherently unfair comparison. But it is what it is.

So I'd say read the Omnibus first and then watch the show.
    I agree. I'm only two episodes in and I can tell - like you said - that it pulls from the original source but it will have to take a somewhat different direction. At this point I like them both equally, probably because of their differences, but damn, this series is super dark so far.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Anyone know if you can combine the 3 for 2 book deal at B&N with the 30% off coupon they're rolling out for black friday?

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Just ordered Inhumans by paul lee(i think thats his name lol) OHC. I know nothing about the inhumans except what I read in hickmans infinity. This was a blind buy for me based off reviews. Sounds like its viewed as pretty damn good. But is there any other books I need to understand whats going on in here?
    Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee are two people!

Not read it myself but I've been meaning to pick it up for a while. If nothing else, Jae Lee draws pretty pictures at least

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Anyone know if you can combine the 3 for 2 book deal at B&N with the 30% off coupon they're rolling out for black friday?
    Yes. You can combine the coupon and the sale terms. I did this last year and grabbed the reprints of the first two Lee/Kirby FF omni volumes plus X-Men Fatal Attraction for about $113 before tax. The highest priced book ends up 30% off, the next one is full price, and the lowest priced book is free.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Just ordered Inhumans by paul lee(i think thats his name lol) OHC. I know nothing about the inhumans except what I read in hickmans infinity. This was a blind buy for me based off reviews. Sounds like its viewed as pretty damn good. But is there any other books I need to understand whats going on in here?
    i didn't know anything at all about the Inhumans when i picked it up based mainly on Jae Lee's artwork (loved it in The Dark Tower) and still enjoyed it quite a lot. it's a pretty much stand-alone limited series.

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    Yes. You can combine the coupon and the sale terms. I did this last year and grabbed the reprints of the first two Lee/Kirby FF omni volumes plus X-Men Fatal Attraction for about $113 before tax. The highest priced book ends up 30% off, the next one is full price, and the lowest priced book is free.
    I did this last year too but I heard some rumours of B&N disabling combos this time around, wondered if we'd got confirmation.

Fantastic Member

I did last year, so unless they changed the rules, I don't see why not.

I've tried it with a 15% coupon this weekend and it didn't work. It was or the 3 for 2 or the 15%, couldn't get both

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy82 View Post
    I've tried it with a 15% coupon this weekend and it didn't work. It was or the 3 for 2 or the 15%, couldn't get both
    Yeah, that is what I was worried about. Without doubling up on the deals, it's not worth it due to shipping to the UK :/

Spectacular Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet already, but it looks like some new hardcovers through July have been added to Amazon. The ones that stand out to me are the Avengers by John Byrne Omnibus, Avengers: Time Runs Out(complete storyline) and Avengers: Standoff!.

I wont be taking advantage of the B&N sale this year as exchange is too much. In fact, there is like no sales on books here for me to enjoy this season.

The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by enguarde22 View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet already, but it looks like some new hardcovers through July have been added to Amazon. The ones that stand out to me are the Avengers by John Byrne Omnibus, Avengers: Time Runs Out(complete storyline) and Avengers: Standoff!.
    Avengers by Byrne! I am missing a couple of the trade for that run!

Standoff is the new ANAD Avengers crossover right? God, secret wars isn't even done....
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Avengers by Byrne! I am missing a couple of the trade for that run!
    According to Amazon, the Avengers by Byrne omni collects the following:

WEST COAST AVENGERS (1985) 42-46; AVENGERS WEST COAST 47-62, ANNUAL 4; AVENGERS (1963) 305-318, ANNUAL 18

This appears to be WCA Omnibus Volume 3, with some extra Byrne thrown in on the main Avengers title to flesh it out. I wonder if they will follow up with another volume to capture his earlier Avengers work (164–166, 181–191), though I've already grabbed these in recent TPBs. While the inclusion of AWC 58-62 is appreciated, they aren't Byrne's.