Page 591 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 914915415815875885895905915925935945956016416911091 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,865 of 20773
    X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    Looking for opinions. I'm thinking of adding one of the following two omnis to an upcoming order. I've never read either of them, so, which do people like more, Age of Apocalypse or Onslaught?
    Age of Apocalypse
    Pros: Self-contained stories. Alternate reality, so you don't need to know a lot of continuity. Re-readable.
    Cons: Kind of depressing. Lots of small, disconnected stories instead of one big one. Very mid-90s art. Might feel like you want the Companion.

Onslaught
    Pros: One big story! Huge cast of characters - X-Men, Avengers, and Fantastic Four, among others! A really huge, seemingly unbeatable foe. Tees up Busiek Avengers.
    Con: A little lightweight without the five years of build-up in Uncanny X-Men. A bit of a mess, storywise - not as re-readable. Even more very mid-90s art.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Age of Apocalypse
    Pros: Self-contained stories. Alternate reality, so you don't need to know a lot of continuity. Re-readable.
    Cons: Kind of depressing. Lots of small, disconnected stories instead of one big one. Very mid-90s art. Might feel like you want the Companion.

Onslaught
    Pros: One big story! Huge cast of characters - X-Men, Avengers, and Fantastic Four, among others! A really huge, seemingly unbeatable foe. Tees up Busiek Avengers.
    Con: A little lightweight without the five years of build-up in Uncanny X-Men. A bit of a mess, storywise - not as re-readable. Even more very mid-90s art.
    AoA all the way - I never get tired of re-reading it!

Spectacular Member

While who knows if Marvel would ever consider collecting this stuff in omnis, you really should email this to Jeph and Cory in the collections department or make sure they see it on the masterworks forum. Just tell them to file it under "helpful possible future omnibus mapping strategies."
    Agreed; great mapping Krisis and probably way more marketable than my attempts!
    Ultimately, just get this era omnibused Marvel!!!

Just sent my votes!

Spectacular Member

I agree, this material is amongst my most-wanted omnibus books!

I could see it going something like this, which tends to group like-with-like a bit more. I think I've left out a few little mini-things and one-shots (Serve and Protect, for sure), but otherwise this would be a mega-solid collection of the core threads of the period.

New Mutants: Regenesis
    (-nfernus #1-4, New Mutants #1-11, 15-21, 25-50, Exiled #1, JITM #637-638. Age of X doesn't really have too much impact on this title compared to Legacy and Carey wrote all of the crossover issues, so it's better there. Plus, X-Infernus is a good prologue and explains why Magik is there)

Uncanny X-Men by Kieron Gillen (let's lean into his hotness with fans at the moment, eh?)
    (UXM #526-544, 534.1 & Ann3, UXM #1-20, Heroic Age: X-Men, X-Men: Regenesis, Generation Hope #1-12, Steve Rogers: Super Soldier Annual 1, Namor Annual 1. I'm not sure you could squeeze in AvX: Consequences. You don't actually need Schism to understand what's happening here, especially with the GenHope Schism issues.)

Wolverine by Jason Aaron Vol. 2
    (Wolverine (2010) #1-20, 5.1, & 300-304, plus Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine #1-6, X-Men: Schism #1-5 (bonus that's not in the complete collections!), and material from Wolverine: Road to Hell)

X-Men by Mike Carey, Vol. 1
    (X-Men #188-204 & Annual 1, Secret Invasion: X-Men #1-4, X-Men Legacy #208-225, Wolverine: Origins #28-30, X-Men Original Sin, and maybe material from X-Men: Pixies and Demons - Director's Cut (2008), X-Men: Divided We Stand (2008) #1-2, and X-Men: Manifest Destiny (2008) #1-5. Most X-books break best around Second Coming, but this book has a better break with Rogue gaining control of her powers.)
    Yeah, dropping Schism into Wolverine by Aaron vol.2 would be better and flows well - so frustrated this isn't already in existence and the crap that is WatX is! I know you're not a big Aaron fan Krisis, but that vol.2 material was by far his best in my opinion and the only stuff not collected!

As for the Gillen collection, #11-20 and AvX: Consequences are already in the AvX OHC stuff, so I be inclined to drop that for space over any other uncollected material, but would leave it at an odd point

That New Mutants: Regenesis Omnibus might be a good 2nd collection to release for the movie next year (after by Claremont vol.1 obviously).
    On that note what're the predictions for OHC releases in line with New Mutants, Deadpool 2 and Dark Phoenix next year???

I'm hoping for:
    New Mutants by Claremont (surely a certainty!?!)
    New Mutants: Academy X omnibus OR...
    ....the Regenesis proposal above
    Deadpool Classic vol.2 (initial Way material plus extra minis/oneshots)
    Deadpool & the Thunderbolts Omnibus (Red Hulk's Thunderbolts run) OR...
    ...Deadpool Team-Up Omnibus (Identity Disc, DP Corps, Team-Up & Merc with a Mouth material)
    harder call on Dark Phoenix Movie, but probably a UXM vol.2 reprint?
    I'd like a Phoenix: Endsong/Warsong OHC collection
    Perhaps an opportunity to collect the Wedding material to fill a gap between Fatal Attractions and Phalanx Covenant?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Doh! A What If? omni would be AMAZING! And I already voted. Dang!

While this would never happen, I would really like to see the Marvel Saga series put in an omni, although it's probably all 'wrong' now due to a dozen retcons since then. Still, those were great books on learning Marvel History from when I was a kid. In the same vein, I'd love to see Gruenwald's Official Handbook Deluxe edition make it to the modern formats, either omni, or TPB, I don't care. But again, due to this material being crazy outdated now, this will probably never happen. But it's still a great snapshot in time of what the MU looked like.
    I'd love some What If..? omnibus too.
    Would people prefer straight run collections or character focused collections?
    I'd prefer to buy a "What If...?: X-Men" omnibus or "What If...?: Avengers" for example

1st thing: I'm reading this and was expecting it would be a boring and dates story (I read Alpha Flight in Portuguese as a teenager) but was surprised it is still very enjoyable!! I hope they make a 2nd Omnibus and I already regretted not voting for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Hope people throw some love for Generation X as well!Also, with Cable #1-8 being solicited as part of the X-Force Omnibus, can we assume the rest of his ongoing will be collecter with X-Force and not in its own Omnibus?
    The Cable I enjoyed most was the run with Ladronn artwork (Cable by Ladronn #48-70) the 1st issues are being released in TPB : "Cable: The Hellfire Hunt" but I hope they get Omnibus treatment!

Uncanny X-Men by Kieron Gillen (let's lean into his hotness with fans at the moment, eh?)
    (UXM #526-544, 534.1 & Ann3, UXM #1-20, Heroic Age: X-Men, X-Men: Regenesis, Generation Hope #1-12, Steve Rogers: Super Soldier Annual 1, Namor Annual 1. I'm not sure you could squeeze in AvX: Consequences. You don't actually need Schism to understand what's happening here, especially with the GenHope Schism issues.)

X-Men by Mike Carey, Vol. 1
    (X-Men #188-204 & Annual 1, Secret Invasion: X-Men #1-4, X-Men Legacy #208-225, Wolverine: Origins #28-30, X-Men Original Sin, and maybe material from X-Men: Pixies and Demons - Director's Cut (2008), X-Men: Divided We Stand (2008) #1-2, and X-Men: Manifest Destiny (2008) #1-5. Most X-books break best around Second Coming, but this book has a better break with Rogue gaining control of her powers.)

X-Men by Mike Carey, Vol. 2
    (#226-234, 238-260, Giant-Size X-Men Legacy, Age of X: Alpha, New Mutants #22-24, and Age of X: Universe #1-2 - yes, I'd include the pair of Utopia issues and the Necrosha issues, they work fine on their own. We could also pad this with X-Men Origins: Beast (2008), X-Men Origins: Gambit (2009), Wolverine: Firebreak (2008), and X-Men: No More Humans OHC)

PS: I'll be back with a more refined look at this plus A LOT MORE X-Men omni suggestions later this week, so no need to hurry up and vote
    Where do we vote for marvel to Employ you?

I' a Peter David/X-factor man, and was surprised to se the 90's by Peter David, J. M. DeMatteis and Todd DeZago Omnibus last year!
    Legacy by Mike Carey was also among my favourite X-material.

From books never mentioned in the list I'd like to see these:
    Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix + X-Men: The Rise of Apocalypse (with the stuff from the 2 TPBs: Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix 1-4, X-Men: Books of Askani, Askani'Son 1-4) + ( RISE OF APOCALYPSE 1-4, FURTHER ADVENTURES OF CYCLOPS & PHOENIX 1-4, X-MEN: APOCALYPSE/DRACULA 1-4, BLACK KNIGHT: EXODUS, FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) 19)
    X-Men by Alan Davis Omnibus vol.1 (X-Men #85-94,X-Men ’99 Annual, X-Men: Magneto War #1, Uncanny X-Men #366-374,Wolverine #140-144, Hulk #7-8, Cable #71, Gambit #8-9, Astonishing X-Men #1-3)
    X-Men by Alan Davis Omnibus vol.2 / Apocalypse: The Twelve Omnibus (Uncanny X-Men #375-380+Annual 1999, Cable #72-78, X-Men #95-99, X-Men Unlimited #25-26, Wolverine #145-149, X-Man #59-60, X-Force #101, X-Men: The Search for Cyclops #1-4)
    Uncanny X-Men – The New Age by Chris Claremont Omnibus (UXM #444-474)
    Ultimate X-men Omnibus
    X-Men by Seagle & Kelly Omnibus (with: Uncanny X-Men #350-#365, X-Men #70-84, X-Men Unlimited #17-#18 + #22 + #25, Alpha Flight #8-#9, Uncanny X-Men & Fantastic Four Annual, X-Men #0.5)
    Last edited by ricardoramos; 04-24-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    The original Iron Fist issues covered in the Marvel Masterworks will be in my Top 10 Omnibus list. That'll be another nomination as I don't remember it making in to the Top 50 most wanted Omnibuses.
    I'm actually about to send my Iron Fist epic Collection off to be custom bound tbh

and for a separate book, my two Power Man and Iron Fist Epics.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by World1 View Post
    I'm actually about to send my Iron Fist epic Collection off to be custom bound tbh

and for a separate book, my two Power Man and Iron Fist Epics.
    Nice! Make sure you post some pics when they come in

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
    Yeah, dropping Schism into Wolverine by Aaron vol.2 would be better and flows well - so frustrated this isn't already in existence and the crap that is WatX is! I know you're not a big Aaron fan Krisis, but that vol.2 material was by far his best in my opinion and the only stuff not collected!

As for the Gillen collection, #11-20 and AvX: Consequences are already in the AvX OHC stuff, so I be inclined to drop that for space over any other uncollected material, but would leave it at an odd point

That New Mutants: Regenesis Omnibus might be a good 2nd collection to release for the movie next year (after by Claremont vol.1 obviously).
    On that note what're the predictions for OHC releases in line with New Mutants, Deadpool 2 and Dark Phoenix next year???

I'm hoping for:
    New Mutants by Claremont (surely a certainty!?!)
    New Mutants: Academy X omnibus OR...
    ....the Regenesis proposal above
    Deadpool Classic vol.2 (initial Way material plus extra minis/oneshots)
    Deadpool & the Thunderbolts Omnibus (Red Hulk's Thunderbolts run) OR...
    ...Deadpool Team-Up Omnibus (Identity Disc, DP Corps, Team-Up & Merc with a Mouth material)
    harder call on Dark Phoenix Movie, but probably a UXM vol.2 reprint?
    I'd like a Phoenix: Endsong/Warsong OHC collection
    Perhaps an opportunity to collect the Wedding material to fill a gap between Fatal Attractions and Phalanx Covenant?
    I waffle on whether it matters that some of the Gillen stuff is in AvX Companion when it comes to collecting him in Omnibus. Aaron's WatX collected issues from Companion. Also, Consequences really lets Gillen wrap up the themes of his run, which didn't really get a chance to do in the regular course of the book.

The New Mutants: Regenesis omni is only about half good - the quality rapidly declines during the DnA part of the run (seriously, it's probably the only bad thing of theirs I've read!) I'd much rather have Academy X as a New Mutants movie omnibus, especially since it can grab that orphaned run of New Mutants that never got put in a trade

That Deadpool Team-Up omnibus is a smart one, I'm sure we'll see that down the line.

I'm really looking forward to the next week or two of blogging, it's all about this stuff
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Looking for opinions. I'm thinking of adding one of the following two omnis to an upcoming order. I've never read either of them, so, which do people like more, Age of Apocalypse or Onslaught?
    I've never read Onslaught but I quite enjoyed AoA. I thought the art was overall extremely good for 90s art and I dislike 90s/Image type art. When I put the Omnibus down, I had an urge to purchase the Companion to read those extra stories. If I see it at a nice low price, I'll pick it up.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

This one is easy---Age of Apocalypse. It's so cool. I have it myself. The story is great and there's a lot of fantastic artists.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member

The New Mutants: Regenesis omni is only about half good - the quality rapidly declines during the DnA part of the run (seriously, it's probably the only bad thing of theirs I've read!) I'd much rather have Academy X as a New Mutants movie omnibus, especially since it can grab that orphaned run of New Mutants that never got put in a trade
    Agreed, the Zeb Wells stuff is fantastic, no need to continue on after his run. It's pretty terrible.

I'm really looking forward to the next week or two of blogging, it's all about this stuff
    What do you mean by this, krisis? Are we getting solicits in the next two weeks? I'm relatively new to this whole Omnibus collecting stuff, so I've no idea when do we get release dates and announcements.

EDIT: oh, never mind. I got it now. You'll be blogging about that stuff.
    Last edited by Hi-Fi; 04-24-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Big thanks to everyone that replied. Looks like AoA is the way to go.