Page 60 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364701101605601060 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    When I first saw X-Men Inferno Volume 1 solicited, I was hopeful that Marvel might take the approach of the most recent multi-volume TPB reprint of AoA that covered the contents of both the main AoA omnibus and its companion volume. However, now that Volume 2 is revealed on Amazon, its contents make me doubt the likelihood of seeing a hypothetical Volume 3 that would complete the Inferno OHC + Inferno Crossovers. Volume 2 exhausts the remaining issues of UXM, XF, NM, and even Excalibur, leaving no X-title appeal to a proposed third volume (the sole possible exception being X-Factor Annual #4, which is thus far unrepresented in Volumes 1 & 2).

Here is what Volume 3 would need to include:

AVENGERS (1963) #298-300, FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #322-324, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1962) #311-313, SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (1976) #146-148, WEB OF SPIDER-MAN #47-48, DAREDEVIL (1964) #262-263 & #265

Hard to picture how Marvel could successfully market that as an X-event volume. Then again, the Inferno Crossovers omni may have sold so poorly that perhaps their intent is to cherry-pick only the most closely related tie-ins for this reprint.
    I think those are all included in the Inferno Crossover omnibus that was released a few years ago. It was on clearance for the longest time. I think I got mine for $25.

Quote Originally Posted by enguarde22 View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet already, but it looks like some new hardcovers through July have been added to Amazon. The ones that stand out to me are the Avengers by John Byrne Omnibus, Avengers: Time Runs Out(complete storyline) and Avengers: Standoff!.
    So did Marvel and Mr. Byrne suddenly make nice or something? Two fairly large omnibuses with material exclusively from him suddenly solicited. Crazy how these things work sometimes...

Now give me a Uncle Roger Avengers omnibus next, darnit! I'll gladly flip my trades for it!
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    So did Marvel and Mr. Byrne suddenly make nice or something? Two fairly large omnibuses with material exclusively from him suddenly solicited. Crazy how these things work sometimes...

Now give me a Uncle Roger Avengers omnibus next, darnit! I'll gladly flip my trades for it!
    Yes, yes, yes!

Stern Avengers omnibus is a must!
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Very good news regarding the Avengers Byrne (AWC 3) Omnibus. Let's hope it stays at the $100 mark. 992 is a decent page count at that price.
    I suspect it will be $125.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisko View Post
    I agree with you completely on Alpha Flight being a superior run. And hopefully this bodes well for omnibus of that soon. I also enjoyed Byrne's hulk run but it wasn't nearly long enough to do an omnibus. It would make a nice OHC though. I never read his Thing run. He only wrote most of those issues didn't he? I thought someone else did the majority of the art.
    Yeah, good point on Hulk. I guess I'd just like to see some kind of omnibus that collects a good deal of the run leading up to Peter David. Bryne would be included. Yeah, I know, it won't happen. LOL

Regarding the Thing: I believe her wrote all of the issues and did the covers. He might have done some interior art early on, but I'm pretty sure it was another artist. The series would make a good companion piece to his FF run, which he was writing at the same time.

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I suspect it will be $125.

Yeah, good point on Hulk. I guess I'd just like to see some kind of omnibus that collects a good deal of the run leading up to Peter David. Bryne would be included. Yeah, I know, it won't happen. LOL

Regarding the Thing: I believe her wrote all of the issues and did the covers. He might have done some interior art early on, but I'm pretty sure it was another artist. The series would make a good companion piece to his FF run, which he was writing at the same time.
    Ron Wilson was artist for most (if not all) of that Thing run. Byrne's Hulk issues are collected in his upcoming Omnibus release.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by enguarde22 View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet already, but it looks like some new hardcovers through July have been added to Amazon. The ones that stand out to me are the Avengers by John Byrne Omnibus, Avengers: Time Runs Out(complete storyline) and Avengers: Standoff!.
    Judging by the pricing and content, I suspect this to be the final Oversized Hardcover to complete Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers run.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Judging by the pricing and content, I suspect this to be the final Oversized Hardcover to complete Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers run.
    Great, bring on the Omnibu$$!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Yup then comes secret wars, then hopefully the omnis!! definitely a series I have no problem with double dipping and not selling off my OHCS

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Avengers by John Byrne Omnibus aka West Coat Avengers vol.3

I'm super stoked we are getting this. I'm not pleased that it's officially NOT called West Coast Avengers vol.3 thus leaving the completion of the run in a vol.4 very, very murky.

The sales on WCA vol.1 & 2 may not have lit up the charts, however, they couldn't have been so bad otherwise they wouldn't do this. Irritated a bit at the naming for this Omni.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Sticking something under the book isn't that hard or time consuming. Many regular books need this as well.
    Luxury items like an omnibus -- "luxury" b/c of the price -- should not require the kind of upkeep you're talking about.

"Many regular books need this as well." (??). I don't know what this means. If by regular you mean OHCs, I haven' t seen that kind of problem yet. If by regular you mean hardcover novels, well no, they don't.

I mean, come on: if you're going to charge these kinds of omnibus prices, you should be producing books that will hold together on their own w/o cardboard or wads of sticky-notes under the page block. Good lord, it sounds ridiculous. And if that means smaller volumes, so be it.

Producing an 1100-1200 page volume that will collapse under its own weight in a few years is just wrong. But, hey, if you want to buy that kind of product and spend the time and resources on propping it up, more to power to you. I'm sure that's the same thinking in Marvel's Sales Dept.
    Last edited by DantonR; 11-23-2015 at 08:43 PM.

I don't get the issue, some people don't do anything with theirs and they are fine, some people are cautious or like big books enough to want to make sure they stay in good condition. Everything requires some kind of care to stay in good condition. I don't know what you think we mean with supporting the page blocks but it takes seconds and is then done. You can buy pre-made stands for books that do the same job it's not some crazy notion to do it.

It seems a bit pointless using condescending language in a thread mostly dedicating to the books you're insinuating we're dumb for buying. The overall quality dropping is a fair discussion but pages sagging happens to Dark Horse stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by DantonR View Post
    Luxury items like an omnibus -- "luxury" b/c of the price -- should not require the kind of upkeep you're talking about.

"Many regular books need this as well." (??). I don't know what this means. If by regular you mean OHCs, I haven' t seen that kind of problem yet. If by regular you mean hardcover novels, well no, they don't.

I mean, come on: if you're going to charge these kinds of omnibus prices, you should be producing books that will hold together on their own w/o cardboard or wads of sticky-notes under the page block. Good lord, it sounds ridiculous. And if that means smaller volumes, so be it.

Producing an 1100-1200 page volume that will collapse under its own weight in a few years is just wrong. But, hey, if you want to buy that kind of product and spend the time and resources on propping it up, more to power to you. I'm sure that's the same thinking in Marvel's Sales Dept.
    Everything you buy needs some kind of care. You wouldnt buy a car then neglect to change the oil because you shouldnt have to for the price it cost would you?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Everything you buy needs some kind of care. You wouldnt buy a car then neglect to change the oil because you shouldnt have to for the price it cost would you?
    Right, but if you're replacing the headlights twice a year and spending lots of time working on your new car, then maybe your car sucks.
    For $125, this book should last me decades. I have textbooks that cost less and are 45 years old. And they're massive hardcovers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SevDelta View Post
    Right, but if you're replacing the headlights twice a year and spending lots of time working on your new car, then maybe your car sucks.
    For $125, this book should last me decades. I have textbooks that cost less and are 45 years old. And they're massive hardcovers.
    And we will see how omnibus' with or without support measure up in another 30 years on that time scale. Page sagging on books like this can't be a new phenomenon exclusive to Marvel omnibus', I personally don't comprehend that an 1/8" sag is going to completely destroy the binding on these books. If you are a collector who prizes condition to that degree that's fine but for the collector reader on these boards I think this issue is a tad over worried.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    And we will see how omnibus' with or without support measure up in another 30 years on that time scale. Page sagging on books like this can't be a new phenomenon exclusive to Marvel omnibus', I personally don't comprehend that an 1/8" sag is going to completely destroy the binding on these books. If you are a collector who prizes condition to that degree that's fine but for the collector reader on these boards I think this issue is a tad over worried.
    I simply put two small cardboards (with fitting width and heights) under each of my omnibi, making the pages level with the covers. Since I put every book also in more or less fitting bags, like floppies, the cardboard doesn't come into contact with it. For me this worked out fine so far (4 years now), with no sagging visible. Even on such big books like Thor, Secret Wars 2 or Amazing Spiderman Vol 1 (2nd printing).