Page 618 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1185185686086146156166176186196206216226286687181118 ... LastLast
Results 9,256 to 9,270 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    Yeah, this goes back to a post a page or two back, but I want a v4 asap. After that I'd prefer they start filling the gap between Stern and Michelinie and I'd be fine with a more leisurely pace between v4 and Stern. Of course I say that now, but as soon as I have a v4 I'll probably start screaming for v5.
    I agree. I've long asked for the gap between Stern and Michelinie - it's been in my top 5 requests when we do the omnibus poll every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I actually prefer it this way.

My reason is that the main title is usually written so that you can read the story without having to read every tie in issue. So I would rather read the main story straight through, then read the side stories mentally noting where each one is in relation to the main story. I really dislike reading it when the main story stops and you cut to the side story before going back to the main story. It gets worse when the side story doesn't take place in between the main story issues, but concurrently. In that case the side story may reference a plot point that the main story has not yet shown. This happened in the Infinity Crusade collection.

It all depends on your personal preference.
    The tie-ins become an issue when they're meant to be read in between chapters of the 'main story'. In my opinion, if the side story shouldn't be read while the main one is unfolding then they shouldn't be included in the same collection. With The Clone Conspiracy and Spider-Verse, the problem was that the tie-ins informed what happened with the main story, hence the posible spoilers while reading one without the other.

I don't see what's the problem with just collecting everything in published order, that's how we're meant to read series, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yaggi_Rck View Post
    The tie-ins become an issue when they're meant to be read in between chapters of the 'main story'. In my opinion, if the side story shouldn't be read while the main one is unfolding then they shouldn't be included in the same collection. With The Clone Conspiracy and Spider-Verse, the problem was that the tie-ins informed what happened with the main story, hence the posible spoilers while reading one without the other.

I don't see what's the problem with just collecting everything in published order, that's how we're meant to read series, isn't it?
    I blame the whole thing on weak editorial oversight. You should be able to read an event in chronological order without spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    I blame the whole thing on weak editorial oversight. You should be able to read an event in chronological order without spoilers.
    It's not weak oversight. It's bad oversight. Plain and simple. Editing can be a very, very busy job, but it is not a hard one.

Astonishing Member

The problem is that reading a story in a monthly comic format is an inherently different experience from reading it in a collection. With the month wait between issues on the main storyline, there is no problem reading the issues that tell a story that is concurrent, barely related, or even reading titles that are unrelated. Asa monthly comic reader, publishers know that you can read several stories simultaneously. But when you collect the story, you need to lay it out in a way that flows best. The main story, if it is written to be read without requiring to read all the side stories, reads better when it is uninterrupted. Most of the tie ins do not take place in between the main story issues, but concurrently. So to have it in a true chronological order would mean splitting up the issues themselves.

In the end, my preference in collections is the read the main story first, then the tie ins after.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    The problem is that reading a story in a monthly comic format is an inherently different experience from reading it in a collection. With the month wait between issues on the main storyline, there is no problem reading the issues that tell a story that is concurrent, barely related, or even reading titles that are unrelated. Asa monthly comic reader, publishers know that you can read several stories simultaneously. But when you collect the story, you need to lay it out in a way that flows best. The main story, if it is written to be read without requiring to read all the side stories, reads better when it is uninterrupted. Most of the tie ins do not take place in between the main story issues, but concurrently. So to have it in a true chronological order would mean splitting up the issues themselves.

In the end, my preference in collections is the read the main story first, then the tie ins after.
    I see your point, but if tie-ins are collected in the same book, they should be in chronological order. For example, Infinity collected the tie-ins that were essential to the story and left the rest of the tie-ins for a companion. In fact, I would argue that Infinity's structure, with each of the 'main story' issues split in chapters was (for me) THE best reading experience of a crossover in a long time.

Another approach I really liked was the one used in the 'Mutant Massacre'; you have different teams tackling the same event and yet they tell a cohesive story. Even when there's a break in the story so the tie-ins may happen (Hickman's Secret Wars) it works, because the tie-ins are well placed in relation to the story.

But picking up a book, having all the 'meat' of the story first and then having to read what happened in between the issues takes some of the fun away for me. Maybe its just me, but going back and forth while reading the same book feels unnatural and frustrating.

But picking up a book, having all the 'meat' of the story first and then having to read what happened in between the issues takes some of the fun away for me. Maybe its just me, but going back and forth while reading the same book feels unnatural and frustrating.
    Simple as that. I don't want to be spoiled with how things turn out. It takes the bite out of the side-stories to know how the pieces end up at the end. Even if you need to slog through 5 prowler stories to figure out where he stands. His position on the Clone stuff was spoiled for me in the main arc when it takes awhile to build up in his own issues. Would have been much better to get through Prowler 1-4 first.

Maintaining continuity is an editor's job and one that Marvel's editorial staff has been slacking off on since the early 2000s.

Are there currently available collected editions for the following Original series:

Avengers 100-200
    Defenders 1-100
    Fantastic Four 100-200

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Are there currently available collected editions for the following Original series:

Avengers 100-200
    Defenders 1-100
    Fantastic Four 100-200
    I can help with Avengers. The Final Threat Epic Collection has #150-166.

At this point some of the FF Marvel Masterworks might cost a bit, but they do collect from 1 - 200 at this point.

Incredible Member

Avengers 100-200
    Defenders 1-100
    Fantastic Four 100-200
    The Defenders Masterworks cover up to #41. The Defenders Epic Six Fingered Hand has 92-109.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Astonishing Member

I see your point, but if tie-ins are collected in the same book, they should be in chronological order. For example, Infinity collected the tie-ins that were essential to the story and left the rest of the tie-ins for a companion. In fact, I would argue that Infinity's structure, with each of the 'main story' issues split in chapters was (for me) THE best reading experience of a crossover in a long time.

Another approach I really liked was the one used in the 'Mutant Massacre'; you have different teams tackling the same event and yet they tell a cohesive story. Even when there's a break in the story so the tie-ins may happen (Hickman's Secret Wars) it works, because the tie-ins are well placed in relation to the story.

The approach should vary on a case by case basis. Hickman and Brevoort publicly said that the Infinity collection was arranged that way because many crucial story beats were in the Avengers titles instead of the main title. They felt that the chronological order was the only way the story could be told in a coherent fashion.

The Mutant Massacre is also different because it was a story that unfolded in the regular titles only. There was no Mutant Massacre title that told the main story by itself.

And in the case of crossovers between titles like Galactic Storm or Second Coming, you have actual chapter numbers that show the story order. No one is suggesting that these be collected by title first instead of chronological. It's only when the main title is collected with the tie ins that this becomes an issue.

I suspect that the main choice in these situations in not the order of where the tie ins are located but whether to include the tie ins or release them in a separate book altogether. I appreciate the current way, because then I get my main story then get to sample the tie ins that I would otherwise pass up. I had no plans to follow the Spider-Woman title, but since I enjoyed the Spider-Verse tie ins I decided to give the regular title a chance.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Simple as that. I don't want to be spoiled with how things turn out. It takes the bite out of the side-stories to know how the pieces end up at the end. Even if you need to slog through 5 prowler stories to figure out where he stands. His position on the Clone stuff was spoiled for me in the main arc when it takes awhile to build up in his own issues. Would have been much better to get through Prowler 1-4 first.

Maintaining continuity is an editor's job and one that Marvel's editorial staff has been slacking off on since the early 2000s.
    I'm not quite sure how the story order relates to complains about continuity.

I do find it kind of funny that one of the biggest complaints in the 90s was that the titles were too interwoven. Readers who just wanted to follow a specific title had to read issues in other series just to understand what was going on. The pendulum has swung the other way so now people are complaining that stories in one title are not referenced in other titles.

Yes, the stories are a little dated and the dialogue/actions are sometimes corny, but I'm digging the hell out of ASM vol. 3 omnibus. I had planned to do 100 pages a day. Started today and I'm past page 200.

And the part where JJJ goes to the hospital and the subsequent repercussions? Hahahahaha. Classic Stan Lee.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Avengers 100-200
    Defenders 1-100
    Fantastic Four 100-200
    Avengers is covered entirely in B&W by Essentials and through #177 in Masterworks with some of the following material covered in trades. [Guide to Avengers]

Defenders is covered entirely in B&W by Essentials but has color gaps after the end of their Masterworks with #41 until #92. [Guide to Defenders]

Fantastic Four is now entirely covered with Masterworks, plus Essentials, and a series of hardcovers and trades towards the end of that run. [Guide to Fantastic Four]

Quote Originally Posted by exparr0t View Post
    The short answer is no, save for a few issues crossing over with some X-Men events.

You can check out this amazing guide (actually a series of guides) from our very own thread contributor Krisis.

http://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-c...raphic-novels/

I can't tell you how often I'm checking in with Krisis's guides. (Often.)

Thank you, Krisis!
    You are very welcome! I love hearing that I've helped other fans keep track of where Marvel stands in collecting their favorite books.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!