Page 643 of 1383 FirstFirst ... 1435435936336396406416426436446456466476536937431143 ... LastLast
Results 9,631 to 9,645 of 20743

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    So for Lang you'd want the Scott Lang trade, covering his origin and some important early stories for him, Avengers: The Children's Crusade, where's he's resurrected and reunites with Cassie (I'd recommend reading up on Young Avengers if you're interested in Cassie's development. She's a great legacy character), and Nick Spencer's Ant-Man run, which is his only really notable solo stuff. Geoff Johns' Avengers, Matt Fraction's FF, and the last arc of Spencer's Avengers World are other highlights, though I haven't read them myself.

For Pym, the recent highlights are Busiek and Perez's Avengers (particularly Ultron Unlimited), Slott's Mighty Avengers, and Gage's Avengers Academy. I also hear pretty good things about Avengers A.I., but I haven't read it myself. The fake skrull Hank features in Avengers Initiative, if you're curious how that went down. The whole Pymtron thing went down in Remender's Rage of Ultron, and then into Duggan's Uncanny Avengers and the ongoing Secret Empire, but I'm not a fan of that twist, so I haven't read those yet.

Hank's other major stories are the Epic, covering his debut and brief solo run in Tales to Astonish, and then various major stories throughout the first volume of Avengers, like his three major mental breakdowns and a lot of the Ultron drama. West Coast Avengers covers his recovery from the third breakdown where he hit Jan, I believe, along with some more Ultron stuff.

Fair warning: a lot of modern writers can't be bothered to actually do research on Hank, and tend to obsessively fixate on the whole "wife-beater" thing, (even though he isn't actually a wife-beater, he's mentally ill), which tends to ruin their treatment of the character. Avoid Ultimate Hank at all costs; he's a straight up abusive husband, and it's extremely uncomfortable to read stories with him. He also eats the Blob alive in Ultimatum.

Finally, the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon does a fantastic job with Hank, Jan, and Scott. It's a great way to get to the core of the characters quickly.
    That is a great summary I would just like to add a couple of things:
    Since FluffySheep asked for Ant-man specifically I think it's a fair warning that some of these don't feature Ant-man but rather other identities of Hank like in Mighty Avengers he is Wasp (that title gets a lot of hate for some reason, I think it was pretty fun), in WCA he is Hank Pym adventurer or adventurer inventor or what the hell .
    Also in Johns' Avengers there is one good short story arc with Scott that directly ties into his death in Disassembled but after that it's pretty lame, mild spoilers but really it doesn't matter: he gets shot by a middle aged, sandal wearing, moustached pedophile. Okay he doesn't die but come on dude, you are in the Avengers!

Also I wouldn't avoid Ultimates just because of Hank's characterisation. It's an alternative take, and it is very uncomfortable just like any story involving domestic violence so obviously if you don't want that in your superhero books then don't read it but the two Millar volumes are very fun and influential books. After that though avoid vol3 and Ultimatum like the plague!

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Yes. You can get the Irredeemable Ant-Man by Robert Kirkman. The whole run in one tpb.
    Thanks. I've had a quick look online and the TPB seems tricky to get hold of (for a decent price anyway), but I'll keep my eye out for it

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Irredeemable Ant-man is fun but Eric O'grady is very unlikable but that's the point. I've found it very funny but I can see why some people wouldn't like it.

Aren't there a couple of trades for the Nick Spencer run out already. I've read the first issue and thought it was great and I heard the whole run was really good.
    I've added the latest trades from Spencer to my wishlist thanks. I thought there'd be more older stuff for Ant-Man but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount collected. It looks as if Ant-Man was more involved in team books rather than solo ongoings. I'll start with the Spencer run I think. Cheers
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    So for Lang you'd want the Scott Lang trade, covering his origin and some important early stories for him, Avengers: The Children's Crusade, where's he's resurrected and reunites with Cassie (I'd recommend reading up on Young Avengers if you're interested in Cassie's development. She's a great legacy character), and Nick Spencer's Ant-Man run, which is his only really notable solo stuff. Geoff Johns' Avengers, Matt Fraction's FF, and the last arc of Spencer's Avengers World are other highlights, though I haven't read them myself.

For Pym, the recent highlights are Busiek and Perez's Avengers (particularly Ultron Unlimited), Slott's Mighty Avengers, and Gage's Avengers Academy. I also hear pretty good things about Avengers A.I., but I haven't read it myself. The fake skrull Hank features in Avengers Initiative, if you're curious how that went down. The whole Pymtron thing went down in Remender's Rage of Ultron, and then into Duggan's Uncanny Avengers and the ongoing Secret Empire, but I'm not a fan of that twist, so I haven't read those yet.

Hank's other major stories are the Epic, covering his debut and brief solo run in Tales to Astonish, and then various major stories throughout the first volume of Avengers, like his three major mental breakdowns and a lot of the Ultron drama. West Coast Avengers covers his recovery from the third breakdown where he hit Jan, I believe, along with some more Ultron stuff.

Fair warning: a lot of modern writers can't be bothered to actually do research on Hank, and tend to obsessively fixate on the whole "wife-beater" thing, (even though he isn't actually a wife-beater, he's mentally ill), which tends to ruin their treatment of the character. Avoid Ultimate Hank at all costs; he's a straight up abusive husband, and it's extremely uncomfortable to read stories with him. He also eats the Blob alive in Ultimatum.

Finally, the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon does a fantastic job with Hank, Jan, and Scott. It's a great way to get to the core of the characters quickly.
    Sorry for the double post but I replied without realising there was another page of posts after the others! I've copied and saved this post. Thanks for all that info!

That is a great summary I would just like to add a couple of things:
    Since FluffySheep asked for Ant-man specifically I think it's a fair warning that some of these don't feature Ant-man but rather other identities of Hank like in Mighty Avengers he is Wasp (that title gets a lot of hate for some reason, I think it was pretty fun), in WCA he is Hank Pym adventurer or adventurer inventor or what the hell .
    Also in Johns' Avengers there is one good short story arc with Scott that directly ties into his death in Disassembled but after that it's pretty lame, mild spoilers but really it doesn't matter: he gets shot by a middle aged, sandal wearing, moustached pedophile. Okay he doesn't die but come on dude, you are in the Avengers!

Also I wouldn't avoid Ultimates just because of Hank's characterisation. It's an alternative take, and it is very uncomfortable just like any story involving domestic violence so obviously if you don't want that in your superhero books then don't read it but the two Millar volumes are very fun and influential books. After that though avoid vol3 and Ultimatum like the plague!
    Thanks for this too. I'll go for the Ant-Man related stuff first and then maybe look into the other identities of Pym afterwards. I re-watched the film yesterday and it's given me an urge to read some Ant-Man!
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Thanks. I've had a quick look online and the TPB seems tricky to get hold of (for a decent price anyway), but I'll keep my eye out for it

I've added the latest trades from Spencer to my wishlist thanks. I thought there'd be more older stuff for Ant-Man but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount collected. It looks as if Ant-Man was more involved in team books rather than solo ongoings. I'll start with the Spencer run I think. Cheers
    Hm, yeah the 2 Irredeemable Ant-man trades and seems to be oop(ish). Also those are digest sized so I wouldn't pay too much for them. The normal trade seems to be oop as well. Maybe try the facebook group?

Also I completely forgot about the Ant-Man & Wasp: Small World mini, it came out right before the Heroic age I think and it's Hank and Eric teaming up. Read it once when it came out and AFAIR it was pretty fun and the trade is quite cheap but you probably want to read Irredeemable first t get to know Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post
    Bummed that the IvX HC does not include the Death of X 1-4. Would have been a nice prelude to the IvX story and DoX in HC.
    Well the good thing is that this book will no doubt be in the bargain bin later on because of its rip off price.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by RickyMeister View Post
    Question about age of apocalypse. If i buy the omnibus do i need to buy the companion also? And hows the reading order do i have to switch between each one or read it all the way through
    The Age of Apocalypse begins with a specific inciting event. Everything from that event through the return to regular reality is contained in the main omnibus. The Companion includes some events that occur prior to the inciting event - effectively, the history of the AoA reality. It also contains all of the subsequent stories in that reality.

So, while the omnibus stands alone wonderfully, you can also sandwich it inside of a read of the companion.

However, my recommendation would be of the companion to only read the pair of "X-Men Chronicles" issues in the Companion during your initial read of the omnibus - perhaps after you've read all of the #1 issues, which will give you some context for the Chronicles. A lot of the other historical stories in the Companion are retcons that were information we did not have as readers at the time the event was released. Then, go back for all of the Companion.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Astonishing Member

I haven't seen any mention of this yet. The Amazon phish show The Adventures of Captain America by Fabisan Nicieza and Kevin Maguire coming out March 2018. This was a 4 issue prestige format released in the early 90s detailing the origin and earliest adventures of Cap and Bucky in WWII. It is a beautiful, fun book that I've been hoping to see collected since the first CA movie.

It was written before the Winter Soldier retcon, so Bucky is in teen sidekick who stumbled on Steve's secret mode here rather than the black ops trained partner assigned to him version.

I highly recommend this.

Incredible Member

Just noticed that the Sorcerer Supreme Omni is going at 60% off at IST. First we had Tangled Web at 55% now this, I wonder what is driving these extra release week discounts?
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Just noticed that the Sorcerer Supreme Omni is going at 60% off at IST. First we had Tangled Web at 55% now this, I wonder what is driving these extra release week discounts?
    more importantly, is that Dr Strange good or not? I remember someone mentioning that half the book is like tie ins so it's not a good standalone read or something along those lines. Am I remembering correctly? I hate nothing more than an omnibus collecting hodge podge issues that connect to a larger story but doesn't make up a good read on it's own.

Astonishing Member

more importantly, is that Dr Strange good or not? I remember someone mentioning that half the book is like tie ins so it's not a good standalone read or something along those lines. Am I remembering correctly? I hate nothing more than an omnibus collecting hodge podge issues that connect to a larger story but doesn't make up a good read on it's own.
    The first 4 or 5 issues are by Peter Gillis, and they wrap up his Doctor Strange run from the Strange Tales split book. Then Roy Thomas takes over. His run starts out strong with the Faustus Gambit and Vampire Tales stories. The tie ins are for Infinity Gauntlet, which are not as good outside the context of the main IG story. But there are maybe 6 issues of tie ins at the most.

Spectacular Member

This has probably been posted already (Sorry if it has) But it looks like now that they've reprinted / are reprinting the original Young Avengers and Initiative Complete Collections they've moved on to Avengers Academy

https://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Acad...ete+collection

Theres also quite a few other collections listed in the "Customers who viewed this also viewed" section that appear to be newly announced.

The "Infinity Gauntlet" box set description's first line:

It's the Avengers, the New Warriors, the X-Men and more against the omnipotent Eternal, Thanos!
    IIRC it was (Kid) Nova mostly and not that much. It's more intriguing to me that someone in collections thinks the NW mention helps to sell books. Is there a v2 New Warriors Omni on the horizon?

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    The first 4 or 5 issues are by Peter Gillis, and they wrap up his Doctor Strange run from the Strange Tales split book. Then Roy Thomas takes over. His run starts out strong with the Faustus Gambit and Vampire Tales stories. The tie ins are for Infinity Gauntlet, which are not as good outside the context of the main IG story. But there are maybe 6 issues of tie ins at the most.
    cheers! I have to confess I'm not the biggest Thomas fan, I liked his Conan but his Marvel stuff didn't really grab me so far (not bad just didn't really engage me). Also I haven't read Infinity Gauntlet.
    But I like the character so I think I will keep an eye out for the omni maybe I can grab a bargain like I did with the Lee-Ditko one.

regarding all the Ant-Man posts (love the Ant-Man love around here lately!) For Pym, remember he was "Scientist" Pym in West Coast Avengers. He was really cool in that. Although the omnis are way out of print and overpriced, that'd be your most complete way of getting those issues.

And I highly vouch for Spencer's Ant-man run. Lang is kinda a bumbing idiot at times, and not everyone likes that interpretation, but it is a really fun read. I'm also not sure how Cassie went from teenager who seemed to be like 17-18 from Young Avengers to suddenly feeling like she's like 14/15, but whatever. It is definitely in the same vein as Spencer's Superior Foes of Spidey series. I'm hoping they will omnibus this entire Ant-Man run once the next movie comes out, that would be my top pick for an Ant-Man omnibus. I love Hank, but most of his appearances are totally scattered, and the original Silver Age series is REALLY silver age and kinda corny and a little slog to read. Spencer's series is top notch and just really fun. Not a lot of comics are FUN anymore.

And not sure if anyone mentioned it, Lang was in Fraction & Allred's FF series, which was really good. I would say the Fraction FF omni is your best bet to get those, it was clearanced and can still be found on ebay and the like for around $35. the regular Fantastic Four issues were kinda bland, but the FF issues were awesome.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    The Age of Apocalypse begins with a specific inciting event. Everything from that event through the return to regular reality is contained in the main omnibus. The Companion includes some events that occur prior to the inciting event - effectively, the history of the AoA reality. It also contains all of the subsequent stories in that reality.

So, while the omnibus stands alone wonderfully, you can also sandwich it inside of a read of the companion.

However, my recommendation would be of the companion to only read the pair of "X-Men Chronicles" issues in the Companion during your initial read of the omnibus - perhaps after you've read all of the #1 issues, which will give you some context for the Chronicles. A lot of the other historical stories in the Companion are retcons that were information we did not have as readers at the time the event was released. Then, go back for all of the Companion.
    You are forgetting the "X-Universe" book which took place during the event and should have been included in the main omnibus.