Page 65 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869751151655651065 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Looks like Brand New Day will begin to be collected in "complete collections" as well.

Just finished the Age Of Ultron OHC and after the disappointment of secret invasion this was much better, have never read anything with Ultron in it before ,my only exposure to him being the Avengers movie and like all the other villains in the Marvel movies he was pretty poor, but in the comic he was actually quite interesting, not a big fan of Bryan Hitch's art though, and the paper quality of the book is pretty poor too

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Just finished the Age Of Ultron OHC and after the disappointment of secret invasion this was much better, have never read anything with Ultron in it before ,my only exposure to him being the Avengers movie and like all the other villains in the Marvel movies he was pretty poor, but in the comic he was actually quite interesting, not a big fan of Bryan Hitch's art though, and the paper quality of the book is pretty poor too
    Did you have any preconceptions about it before you started? I remember a lot of people being disappointed about it but most people were unhappy because of what they thought it was going to be instead of experiencing it as is. I liked it even though it was different than what I thought from the promotional side.

Spectacular Member

Will reading the two most recent Captain Marvel series spoil any of the major Avengers stuff from around the same time? Also it looks like the last several issues of the 2012 series are only collected in a now OOP Avengers TPB. Will I miss anything important if I skip that and go right into the 2014 series?

Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Did you have any preconceptions about it before you started? I remember a lot of people being disappointed about it but most people were unhappy because of what they thought it was going to be instead of experiencing it as is. I liked it even though it was different than what I thought from the promotional side.
    AoU also reads much better as a collection. But, then again, I've never understood the rating a comic by issue system b/c each issue is a part of a whole more often than not these days. So an individual issue may have to do things that another issue in the series does not in order to serve the overall story.

People bitched about Hickman's FF relentlessly (at times) as it was being released monthly only to hail it as a masterpiece once the run was complete.

Now AoU is not Hickman's FF but the same idea applies: reads better once you can blast through the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DantonR View Post
    AoU also reads much better as a collection. But, then again, I've never understood the rating a comic by issue system b/c each issue is a part of a whole more often than not these days. So an individual issue may have to do things that another issue in the series does not in order to serve the overall story.

People bitched about Hickman's FF relentlessly (at times) as it was being released monthly only to hail it as a masterpiece once the run was complete.

Now AoU is not Hickman's FF but the same idea applies: reads better once you can blast through the whole thing.
    Definitely. I don't think Bendis' Daredevil would have had half the impact on me if I read it monthly. It's a masterpiece as one, long story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I went into it without any knowledge of Ultron apart from what I had seen in the Avengers movie, his motives are a bit unknown to me, why does he hate humanity? But that didn't distract me from the overall story, I think it helped by having a smaller cast of characters in it too, my last marvel read before this was secret invasion, which I thought was a complete mess, this had a definite start and finish, and although it was essentially a 'what if' story I enjoyed it far more than the last 3 or 4 marvel books I have read recently, and that includes the fan favourite Hawkeye omni

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I've never read this series but all in one convenient package has my curiosity increased.
    I typically like HC but like the recent Frankenstein I'll get this one cause it's likely the best collection of it to be seen for some time.
    I read a couple of issues of Machine Man back in the day, but it's been years. I do remember liking the robotic main character, and with Jack Kirby & Steve Ditko as artists, IMHO there's a recipe for success right there. I'm definitely getting this collection.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Looks like Brand New Day will begin to be collected in "complete collections" as well.
    I was really hoping that Brand New Day would get the omnibus or OSHC treatment someday as this is the format that I prefer. Marvel releasing these big tpb collections of the material doesn't necessarily mean that it won't happen, but it does seem more unlikely. I don't believe there are too many instances where a complete collection or ultimate collection or whatever was released before a similar hardcover or omnibus of the same material. The Alias omnibus reprint came out after it was collected in ultimate collections back a few years ago - which is more of an outlier, I know. A better example would be the DnA Guardians of the Galaxy which was released as Complete Collections in 2014 and is soon to be released as an omnibus.

I'm still holding out hope for Slott's Big Time Spider-man era and Bendis' Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man runs to be collected in omnibus/OSHC as these two runs definitely seem deserving enough for a premium format. I am honestly surprised that USM isn't already collected in an oversized format as the entire Peter Parker Ultimate era is.

Also, with the buzz that Superior Spider-man received and the subsequent two Amazing Spider-man #1's I thought that the Big Time era Spider-man would have a great chance be released in an oversized format since Slott was the sole writer. Since everything from Superior Spider-man to at least Amazing Spider-man 2014 issue #1-18 will be released in OSHC, it seems possible that the rest of Slott's solo run on the character will get the same kind of treatment. Of course, Spider-Island and Ends of the Earth did get released in oversized format, but these two along with Spider-Verse are more event-type books.

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    I was thinking about the X-23 Complete Collection, but as I own both Innocence Lost and Target X on Comixology, I don't particularly want to pay for those again. But I may change my mind.
    Yeah, would like to read some X-23 too, I know there are hardcovers but one of them - second? - selling for stupid money. Is whole series good?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post
    I was really hoping that Brand New Day would get the omnibus or OSHC treatment someday as this is the format that I prefer. Marvel releasing these big tpb collections of the material doesn't necessarily mean that it won't happen, but it does seem more unlikely. I don't believe there are too many instances where a complete collection or ultimate collection or whatever was released before a similar hardcover or omnibus of the same material. The Alias omnibus reprint came out after it was collected in ultimate collections back a few years ago - which is more of an outlier, I know. A better example would be the DnA Guardians of the Galaxy which was released as Complete Collections in 2014 and is soon to be released as an omnibus.

I'm still holding out hope for Slott's Big Time Spider-man era and Bendis' Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man runs to be collected in omnibus/OSHC as these two runs definitely seem deserving enough for a premium format. I am honestly surprised that USM isn't already collected in an oversized format as the entire Peter Parker Ultimate era is.

Also, with the buzz that Superior Spider-man received and the subsequent two Amazing Spider-man #1's I thought that the Big Time era Spider-man would have a great chance be released in an oversized format since Slott was the sole writer. Since everything from Superior Spider-man to at least Amazing Spider-man 2014 issue #1-18 will be released in OSHC, it seems possible that the rest of Slott's solo run on the character will get the same kind of treatment. Of course, Spider-Island and Ends of the Earth did get released in oversized format, but these two along with Spider-Verse are more event-type books.
    Yeah, i wish more modern spider-man in general would be collected in OHC or Omnibus format. For being arguably Marvel's most popular character, he hasn't gotten much love lately. I just really don't want to spend $40 for a paperback, even though the page counts are decent on these complete collections, especially with Marvel Unlimited available for so cheap. That has allowed me to read the series I'm particularly interested in that aren't being released in the format i prefer to own.
    Last edited by awayne83; 11-28-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Incredible Member

I was looking at some TPBs to pad out an IST order, and I think someone has lost it over at Marvel.

Marvel is asking $24.99 cover price for both Black Widow and Punisher Vol. 3, compared to $17.99 cover price for both Vol. 2s. Apparently the difference is the page count went from 160 to 176 between volumes. 16 more pages. I can't figure if this is Marvel trying to BS about "increased production costs" because of the extra 16 pages, or if it's some kind of Last Days Secret War event tax (even though other Last Days books aren't that expensive), or if it's maybe an Edmondson tax.

Of course that's to say nothing of the $17.99 cover price for most standard Marvel TPBs in the first place. That in and of itself is pretty absurd. And most of the time all you get is half, and sometimes even a third, of a complete story since everything is so decompressed and spread out.

Using Black Widow as an example, the 3 trades are priced $17.99, $17.99 and $24.99. 144, 160, 176 pages. 6 issues + 1 partial, 7 issues, 8 issues. $60.97, 480 pages, 21.5 issues. Meanwhile there are Epic Collections giving slightly more content (~500 pages) for $35 to $40 cover price. I do understand it's old material vs. new material and printing three books versus printing just one. But on a per page basis, these regular newer TPBs are twice as expensive compared to many of the Epic Collection books. The pricing differential is just screwed.

I know a lot of people complained about the Hawkeye Omnibus pricing but at least one could make justifications for that, even though the price definitely was inflated. It was a whole critically acclaimed series in one volume. It's oversized. It has theoretically nice sewn binding. It's a deluxe presentation. I assume it has some extras, but if not, usually other Omnis have extras. There's something more to it overall. On the other hand, Marvel wants $25 for ~7 issues in a cheaply made thin trade paperback where you're not even buying an entire series, much less a comprehensive story? These basic TPBs are the absolute bottom of the totem pole when it comes to physical media outside of floppies. There is nothing special about their presentation to justify any price inflation.

Some in the industry are concerned about the ridiculous single issue costs these days and the rise of pirating. Pretty soon Marvel is going to turn trade waiters into non-customers and/or pirates when they charge $25 cover price for one flimsy TPB volume. I know Marvel and DC have successfully been milking the same fanbase for decades now, but I really think they will soon cross the line where both die-hards and newer customers realize that the price for the quality and presentation of the content just doesn't make sense anymore.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

is there an X-23 Complete Collection confirmed? Do we know when for or whats in it?

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post

In with you on this. Big time and JMS's run need omnibus'. My first choice is OHC but I doubt that would happen. My most wanted Omnibus marvel could give would be the JMS and Romita Jr run.

I'm also surprised miles has not had an omnibus.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Dougtron View Post
    Will reading the two most recent Captain Marvel series spoil any of the major Avengers stuff from around the same time? Also it looks like the last several issues of the 2012 series are only collected in a now OOP Avengers TPB. Will I miss anything important if I skip that and go right into the 2014 series?
    The issues not collected alongside Captain Marvel are Infinity tie-ins. Carol does experience a consequence of that, if memory serves, and necessarily there is some minor spoiling of some of the events of Infinity, but nothing that would ruin the entire crossover from what I recall.

Basically, despite my recall being a little sketchy here, I think you're fine.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!