Page 658 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1585586086486546556566576586596606616626687087581158 ... LastLast
Results 9,856 to 9,870 of 20773
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RickyMeister View Post
    What is everyones favourite Hardcover artwork(under the dust jacket)?
    Some of my favorite printed covers are Uncanny X:Force Omnibus and the Mark Millar Wolverine Omnibus.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Raffi - if you don't mind me asking, where do you get these numbers from? Just curious what the top 39 would be, as neither Marvel nor DC's big books fit that bill. I'm assuming it's all the little 4-6 issue TPBs that probably sell much higher due to lower price point - more mass market appeal. But still curious.
    Hey Rimmer, I don't mind at all. I get the stats from comichron

You can check out the full list there. And yes, the smaller books sell a lot more.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JJ87 View Post
    I don't know, I'm still looking for the Bendis DD OHCs in clearance bins whenever I can ��
    Remaindered and clearanced OHCs eventually do go OOP. A good example are the Avengers Hickman OHCs. The Superior SM OHCs were clearanced for a long time and I believe Vol. 1 is now OOP with the remainder 2 on its heels. The Daredevil Waid OHCs have been clearanced for some time now. The Daredevil Bendis OHCs are quite "old" now so they will be difficult to find although I see Vol. 3 quite cheap from time to time.

Incredible Member

I know a lot of people just received their Hickman Avengers omnibus.

Is anyone willing to sell some of their single issues? Mostly looking for Infinity Tie-ins. All of them, really.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyanDaza View Post
    Are you referring to New Mutants Classic or did Marvel just call (hopefully) a New Mutants Omni?!
    The next New Mutants Epic Collection should cover the uncollected gap before the Cable/New Mutants era and the Classics and X family event tie ins. Seeing Krisis page (I sometimes think he cannot be given enough credit for his work on this) that means that Flicker Fade is right: fully collected.

As I had two weeks with some spare time I did a lot of reading and rereading (my love for the first X-Force Volume and the first Cable ongoing seems to grow with every reread - yes I know it is pure 90s X craziness but still that book got me into collecting all X titles some years back).

Anyways some thoughts on recent Marvel releases:

Monsters Unleashed Monster Size: it looks impressive and totally misplaced at the same time, the sheer size of it made we wonder where I should put this huge collection and I still have to figure it out. As there are 5 different artists I am sure most people will find some really impressive panels. Storywise: let's just say it is not worth a dime im my opinion. Without giving something away it feels like a really really cheap rip off of other more or less successful franchises. The reason I bought it was the involvement of X teams and I was also curious about the monster size. I would not recommed it at all and I should have waited and read some reviews.

X-Men vs Inhumans: I have very mixed feelings about this one. First of all it feels more like a Death of X / Civil War II X-Men aftermath book (mild Spoilers for Death: that Marvel killed one of my favourite mutants of all time in some panels and did not give him a proper send off and did not even mention his wife or huge parts of his beloved team is unforgiveable. I feel terrible even thinking about it.) That means it has all the flaws and the good story pieces of these books. It has one incredibly strong Magneto moment (I do not want to give it away here but that was something!) and a pretty straight forward and brutal setting. Unfortunately I felt moonstruck seeing some young unknown Inhumans take out well and long timed trained / experienced X soldiers. At some points the writers took it way too far and gave us some poor characterization of some of the most mindful X characters who are still featured in the books. The "solution" felt rushed (a feeling I have with almost all the recent event books minus Secret Wars maybe) but at least it might change the status quo. Again: mixed feelings but if you have followed the mutants through the post Secret Wars books you probably want to pick this one up also.

Long post sorry for that. Would love to hear some more opinions on X books, be it recent collected editions or the new series.

Halfway through the Avengers Hickman Omnibus 1: I read the storyline in german floppies from my collecting buddy (they have 2 issues of one series in one issue and are published once a month plus some trades for New Avengers) and did not find it convincing plus I often lost track of what was going on with so many new characters PLUS I lost track of the timeline especially in the second part of the run: what has happened to the X teams and when especially. That being said: I enjoyed rereading the run in Omnibus and with a better reading order way more than I thought I would (bought it mostly because I liked much of the art and for completionist sake). I can totally understand some people in this forum when they say they find some of the writing flat but the scale of the story and that I know that it all comes together make up for it in my opinion. I would recommend it and am looking forward to the next Volume (I hope they will give us Avengers World but I doubt it ...).

Seeing as they're releasing INVINCIBLE IRON MAN BY BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS HC, I gotta ask, is it worth a read? They fit whole 2015 run in one book which is quite tempting. All I know they introduced Riri Williams, which took over brand in 2016. I'm more interested in her story but is 2015 run worth a try?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    This is not true at all. Avengers and New Avengers are separate arcs, yes, but THE OHC'S CONTAIN MULTIPLE ARCS, so you do in fact have to go back and forth in order to read the chronology properly.
    No. You absolutely do not. Have you actually read the material? There is literally no reason whatsoever to need to jump to New Avengers 1 OHC in the middle of Avengers 1 OHC or vice-versa. As a matter of fact, it would, in my opinion, be detrimental to the flow of the narrative.

People are making this run out to be more complicated than it needs to be. The interaction of these stories before Infinity is almost non-existent.

Spectacular Member iPodwithnomusic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Antari View Post
    Seeing as they're releasing INVINCIBLE IRON MAN BY BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS HC, I gotta ask, is it worth a read? They fit whole 2015 run in one book which is quite tempting. All I know they introduced Riri Williams, which took over brand in 2016. I'm more interested in her story but is 2015 run worth a try?
    I really enjoyed that run, and I normally don't read any Iron Man comics. I really liked the characters Tony interacted with, like War Machine and Mary Jane. I'm definitely gonna buy it, and it's the only Iron Man HC I have any intention of buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Remaindered and clearanced OHCs eventually do go OOP. A good example are the Avengers Hickman OHCs. The Superior SM OHCs were clearanced for a long time and I believe Vol. 1 is now OOP with the remainder 2 on its heels. The Daredevil Waid OHCs have been clearanced for some time now. The Daredevil Bendis OHCs are quite "old" now so they will be difficult to find although I see Vol. 3 quite cheap from time to time.
    Volume 2 (OHC) of Busiek's Avengers run was very pricey. I haven't checked but it probably lost it's high value once the omnibus collections were released.

Quote Originally Posted by Antari View Post
    Bendis is absolutely killing it on IM. I wish they would have collected Invincible and International together. Those two lead into the current two series and - IMO - I think Infamous Iron Man is some of the best stuff he's written in years.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJ87 View Post
    On top of all this, the third "Worldwide" OHC takes us up to #28, which is the same as TPBs 1-6.
    There's a seventh TPB collecting the Secret Empire tie-in (#29-32) and then going back to the classic numbering, covering #789-791.

It's not clear if further issues will still be part of the "Worldwide" storyline, and since seven issues don't really justify a fourth OHC, my guess is the third OHC is the last one and the Secret Empire tie-in will remain a TPB.
    I'm a bit upset because they really dropped the ball; the third OHC could've easily been Clone Conspiracy mini plus ASM tie-ins and CC Omega in proper reading order, leaving TPBs 6 and 7 for a fourth and last Worldwide OHC.

At this point I might just "downgrade" my first Worldwide OHC out of frustration and stick to TPBs for the main Spidey title. Since the Renew Your Vows mini now counts towards the total ASM numbers and was never released in hardcover, it's probably the most consistent format we're getting if we want it all.
    I have not picked up the OHCs after Superior because all of this mess, and hoping for an omni that will hopefully present the story in its totality. Thinking of jumping into Worldwide and this happens.

More money for other things I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    No. You absolutely do not. Have you actually read the material? There is literally no reason whatsoever to need to jump to New Avengers 1 OHC in the middle of Avengers 1 OHC or vice-versa. As a matter of fact, it would, in my opinion, be detrimental to the flow of the narrative.

People are making this run out to be more complicated than it needs to be. The interaction of these stories before Infinity is almost non-existent.
    You can't read New Avengers 1 straight through before Avengers 1 because then you're literally getting into Infinity (which the OHC's double dip on). The events of New Avengers happen prior to most of the events of Avengers and set the scene for why it's happening in the first place, so the first half needs to be read early on (as the Omnibus and Hickman himself map it). Furthermore there are plot points that make no sense or get missed if you read the OHC's straight through such as Hulk going from one team to the other. When I read the material the first time, it was very jarring to see him all of a sudden in the NA group with no explanation. Had I read the order correctly, that would have been resolved.

Look, I know you want to to convince yourself to hold onto the OHC's you already bought and that upgrading would be pointless, and while that may still be the case for you, you can't say the OHC experience is ideal and the storylines entirely separate until infinity or time runs out - it just isn't true.

Marvel were real assholes about this whole thing. The OHC's never should've come out in the first place, or if they did they should've been released more than a year prior to when they actually where. By the time the very first OHC's came out there was already more than enough material for omnibuses. The scheduling was completely screwed up.

I'm too scared to read Infamous Iron Man. Bendis has been so awful for so much of recent Marvel history that I can't risk seeing him tarnish the greatness Hickman did with Doom.

I'm too scared to read Infamous Iron Man. Bendis has been so awful for so much of recent Marvel history that I can't risk seeing him tarnish the greatness Hickman did with Doom.
    Hickman Doom was amazing if anyone should be doing a Doctor Doom book it is him.

Spectacular Member

You can't read New Avengers 1 straight through before Avengers 1 because then you're literally getting into Infinity (which the OHC's double dip on). The events of New Avengers happen prior to most of the events of Avengers and set the scene for why it's happening in the first place, so the first half needs to be read early on (as the Omnibus and Hickman himself map it).
    New Avengers #1 was released several months after Avengers #1. You're basically saying that they should be read significantly out of release order. Not only that, but even the omni order disagrees with you. The omni has Avengers #1 before New Avengers. And obviously you wouldn't read into the Infinity issues. That's what the Infinity OHC is for. Nobody ever said otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlly View Post
    Only in recent years, since the second printing. There were several years after the first printing when it was out of print.

That omnibus and the Companion are the two Daredevil omnibus must-haves in my opinion (I like the character, but I only own those two volumes). Same with Layton/Michelenie/Romita Jr's Iron Man omnibus and Simonson's Thor omnibus; the definitive runs for those characters. Marvel was killing it in the early 80's (+ Claremont/Byrne on X-Men, Roger Stern on Spidey, Byrne on FF . . .).
    Thanks for the response. I'm trying to determine which DD omnibus to buy first without the risk of others going out of print before I can afford them. I'm thinking the Brubaker omnis would be best to go for first if Miller's will stay in print for ages.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"