Page 672 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1725726226626686696706716726736746756766827227721172 ... LastLast
Results 10,066 to 10,080 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
    Everyone waiting to see the Hickman vol.2 content?
    I bought vol. 1, but it's still in it's cellophane. If vol.2 just has the OHC content, I will stick with my OHC collection and sell vol.1!
    Vol.2 needs to have Avengers World
    Your guess is as good as mine, but I would guess it would NOT contain Avengers World, since it's "Avengers by Hickman", not "Hickman & friends". Hickman didn't have much of a hand in Avengers World, did he? They could surprise us, but my guess is it'll be the entire lot of OHCs, just combined into two omnibuses, and that's that.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    A few minor comments on the list, specifically your X-Men books:
    -The "X-Men: Second Coming: Revelations" OHC doesn't include the main Second Coming event. It's entirely tie-ins. You'll want the main X-Men: Second Coming book too. Though Second Coming technically takes place after Siege, but only just, and forms a nice book-end to the X-Men story in that time period.
    -I think Messiah War should be included (if you think of Messiah CompleX and Second Coming as the bookends of the mutant messiah story, then Messiah War is Part 2.)
    -Necrosha takes place immediately before Siege.

I believe these three books (Second Coming, Messiah War, Necrosha) are available as OHCs. Definitely HCs at least, according to Wikipedia.
    As I said before, treat X-Men as a separate collection, for this very reason - Messiah trilogy is very contained within the X-titles and opens a whole new can of worms for you collecting. A can that's well worth opening if you want to collect beyond your Avengers material, but a big IF you can find it!

Building on what the others said;
    Messiah War is really a Cable story, which X-Force guest star in. Both titles ran from the end of Messiah Complex to Second Coming, and are worth reading to give context to both Messiah War and Second Coming.
    Whilst Necrosha had tie-in issues in New Mutants and X-Men:Legacy, it really is a X-Force story that the series built up to, so again you'll benefit from reading all of X-Force.

That's 4x Premiere Hardcover or tpb of Cable and 2x OHC of X-Force (or 4x tpbs) plus Messiah War, Necrosha and the main Second Coming story.
    That's without visiting the main X-Men titles outside of what you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
    As I said before, treat X-Men as a separate collection, for this very reason - Messiah trilogy is very contained within the X-titles and opens a whole new can of worms for you collecting. A can that's well worth opening if you want to collect beyond your Avengers material, but a big IF you can find it!

Building on what the others said;
    Messiah War is really a Cable story, which X-Force guest star in. Both titles ran from the end of Messiah Complex to Second Coming, and are worth reading to give context to both Messiah War and Second Coming.
    Whilst Necrosha had tie-in issues in New Mutants and X-Men:Legacy, it really is a X-Force story that the series built up to, so again you'll benefit from reading all of X-Force.

That's 4x Premiere Hardcover or tpb of Cable and 2x OHC of X-Force (or 4x tpbs) plus Messiah War, Necrosha and the main Second Coming story.
    That's without visiting the main X-Men titles outside of what you already have.

When you say to treat X-Men as separate, are you meaning that it's just completely separate from the Avengers goings-ons, or are you recommending to not bother reading these stories chronologically between Avengers events and just save to read them after I'm done with the Avengers/Cosmic read through?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master Hoplite View Post
    When you say to treat X-Men as separate, are you meaning that it's just completely separate from the Avengers goings-ons, or are you recommending to not bother reading these stories chronologically between Avengers events and just save to read them after I'm done with the Avengers/Cosmic read through?
    Separate from the Avengers goings-on.
    Ultimately, they are all the same universe, so eventually you will hit a crossover point where back knowledge of the other titles is useful. You seemed to stipulate 2 key points:
    I. Avengers focused
    II. End at Siege
    However, your collection is much wider than just Avengers - you have all 5 cosmic omnibus, but I'm struggling to recall how any of that directly intersects with the Avengers material (first few Nova issues are part of the Initiative, that's it). After Conquest, the cosmic stuff has much more to do with X-Men than Avengers, due to Vulcan and the Shi'Ar.

If you are stopping at Siege, then really only HoM and Utopia X directly merge the Avengers and X-Men story narratives. There is an argument to say Fraction's Uncanny X-Men is most relevant to the Avengers ongoing, as leads into Utopia X, directly with the Dark Avengers. But the Messiah trilogy and Necrosha have absolutely nothing to do with with the Avengers storylines of the time.
    Wolverine's Avengers activities are largely kept within New Avengers. Civil War and Secret Invasion have their own X-Men miniseries to link in to the main events.

In terms of reading chronologically;
    Cosmic can be read in isolation, as all relevant material is within the 5 omnibus.
    From an Avengers perspective, you only need X-Men's HoM and Utopia X if you are stopping at Siege.
    If you plan to collect past Siege, you will will want the Messiah Trilogy, as it leads up to the Avengers vs X-Men Event and the 2 narratives become much more tangled.

I always treated X-Men, Avengers, Cosmic and Hulk as separate threads during that period, but I was reading them as they were released, so I accept it's a little different.

If you keep to your main Avengers focus up to Siege, Thor and Iron Man are your main targets in my opinion.

Great, thanks for the info!!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master Hoplite View Post
    Great, thanks for the info!!
    No probs

So after finishing the Stern Spider-Man omni a few months ago, on reflection, it's probably my favorite omni I've read yet. Just superb writing of a wonderful character. My favorite issues were probably the ones with Spidey and Black Cat, I was actually joyful ready these. I'm rarely joyful.

So I picked up the Alien Costume Saga vol. 1 tpb and have read about half of it, will get vol.2 and the Epic to get me further. I also have Spidey omni 3 that came out recently but haven't started it yet.

My dilemma is this: make it up to the point of the Michelinie/McFarland omni and buy that omni, or just go back and get the beginnings - omnis 1 and 2? Those are relatively inexpensive still but widely available. But I'd also hate to drop $100+ on the M/M omni only to see it reprinted soon or the same material released in Epic format.

Any advice appreciated.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post
    So after finishing the Stern Spider-Man omni a few months ago, on reflection, it's probably my favorite omni I've read yet. Just superb writing of a wonderful character. My favorite issues were probably the ones with Spidey and Black Cat, I was actually joyful ready these. I'm rarely joyful.

So I picked up the Alien Costume Saga vol. 1 tpb and have read about half of it, will get vol.2 and the Epic to get me further. I also have Spidey omni 3 that came out recently but haven't started it yet.

My dilemma is this: make it up to the point of the Michelinie/McFarland omni and buy that omni, or just go back and get the beginnings - omnis 1 and 2? Those are relatively inexpensive still but widely available. But I'd also hate to drop $100+ on the M/M omni only to see it reprinted soon or the same material released in Epic format.

Any advice appreciated.
    Well, just to be clear, the Michelinie/McFarlane material will be reprinted in Epic Collection, but we don't know when. Epic #20, Cosmic Adventures, covers the end of the omni, and vol. 19 should cover the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hank View Post

Any advice appreciated.
    I'm waiting for a reprint of the Michelinie/McFarlane omnibus. I'm not paying silly money on Ebay for one. I'm really hoping once the Venom movie comes out, they'll reprint the omnibus, or at least print the Epics of that part of the ASM run.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Man those Hickman numbers were low. I gotta buy that Omnibus ASAP before I miss out on that

Are there any other omni's like tangled web?
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    In what way?

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Man those Hickman numbers were low. I gotta buy that Omnibus ASAP before I miss out on that

Yes, there's plenty of collections that are great the first half and suck the second half.

Hickman numbers being low isn't surprising considering they just got done selling us the OHCs, basically the exact same format. There was no reason to release the OHC's when they did in the first place. Just an all-around screw up by Marvel (which is rare).

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Hickman numbers being low isn't surprising considering they just got done selling us the OHCs, basically the exact same format. There was no reason to release the OHC's when they did in the first place. Just an all-around screw up by Marvel (which is rare).
    Didn't they do this with the Hawkeye omnibus as well? For some reason it seems like it might have even been solicited around the same time as the second OHC. Either way, that one went into the bargain bin. I wonder if that happens with Hickman.

Mighty Member

Hawkeye Omni shifted almost 1700 units its release month. And yes, the omni was solicited before they even released the 2nd ohc. Since it still found its way to the bargain bin, it makes me think these initial month b&m orders aren't that indicative of books selling out or not. Uncanny X-force shifted about the same, and we all know how fast that book was gone.

I wouldn't consider the Hickman numbers low. 1000 has long been considered the standard for success for most omnis. Also, most of the recent modern releases, reprints or not (Daredevil by Bru, Wok books, Waid Daredevil, Deadpool by P&D, etc) have all been around the 1000-1400 range. The classic material always seems to move more units regardless of what demand may be perceived out there on the internet. Again, these first month sales i don't think tell us too much in the long run, other than maybe if something ISN'T going to sell (Powers, Ultimate Marvel v1, etc), but they're fun talking points.
    Last edited by awayne83; 08-18-2017 at 08:58 PM.