Page 708 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2086086586987047057067077087097107117127187588081208 ... LastLast
Results 10,606 to 10,620 of 20773

A couple questions. I've got the first 2 volumes of MMW Xmen paperback. I've gone to collecting epic collections since paperback MMW is no longer available. Any place I can see what those two unread MMW may be worth? Also, what is the reasoning for so few Xmen epic collections? And why aren't the epic collections released in chronological order? It's my first time reading Marvel and the fact I can't read in order is kind of annoying.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd line g View Post
    A couple questions. I've got the first 2 volumes of MMW Xmen paperback. I've gone to collecting epic collections since paperback MMW is no longer available. Any place I can see what those two unread MMW may be worth? Also, what is the reasoning for so few Xmen epic collections? And why aren't the epic collections released in chronological order? It's my first time reading Marvel and the fact I can't read in order is kind of annoying.
    I believe the epics focus on filling in gaps between already released material in other formats (omnibus etc) focusing on specific storylines. I see lots of overlap as well. Releasing chronologically, you would end up ignoring and not releasing decades of material at the pace they go. I can see why it would be annoying though. If there is an omnibus of material you want I would buy that. You could be waiting a very long time for the same material to all be released in epic format. Collecting 60s xmen these days seems difficult with the omnibus' out of print,

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd line g View Post
    Search for sold listings on eBay to see what they are worth.

As I only dip my toe into marvel books now and again and the only character I really like is Daredevil, is this Shadowlands omni worth a blind buy, I like DD but the only DD stuff I have read has been the Brubaker and Bendis runs, is it anything like them or completely different?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    As I only dip my toe into marvel books now and again and the only character I really like is Daredevil, is this Shadowlands omni worth a blind buy, I like DD but the only DD stuff I have read has been the Brubaker and Bendis runs, is it anything like them or completely different?
    I reckon the only real thing Shadowland has in common with Brubaker and Bendis is the dark feel and grittiness. It's not the same quality writing. I quite liked it and don't think it was as bad as a lot of fans made it out to be. Andy Diggle didn't have it easy as he had followed two acclaimed runs (Bendis and Brubaker) and "received" Daredevil when he was literally in a very dark place. The art is pretty good. Bear in mind that over 50% of the Omni will be made up of crossover issues and not directly from the DD run. I don't really think it would be a great blind buy for you. As a DD fan, I'll be picking it up even though I already have all the issues in PHCs and TPBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I reckon the only real thing Shadowland has in common with Brubaker and Bendis is the dark feel and grittiness. It's not the same quality writing. I quite liked it and don't think it was as bad as a lot of fans made it out to be. Andy Diggle didn't have it easy as he had followed two acclaimed runs (Bendis and Brubaker) and "received" Daredevil when he was literally in a very dark place. The art is pretty good. Bear in mind that over 50% of the Omni will be made up of crossover issues and not directly from the DD run. I don't really think it would be a great blind buy for you. As a DD fan, I'll be picking it up even though I already have all the issues in PHCs and TPBs.
    Cheers for the advice, i’ll have a think about it and see what else is coming out around the same time, as I have told myself from next year I am really going to cut down on my purchases, space I’d becoming a bit of a problem, and to be honest there isn’t that much around that excites me now, I’m finishing too many books with a ‘meh’

Incredible Member

As you didnt mention it, have you read Millers Daredevil? Its readily available still.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    As you didnt mention it, have you read Millers Daredevil? Its readily available still.
    Yeah, had Millers DD twice and the companion, when the omnis first came out sold them, and I thought I’d give them another go with the new releases but as blasphemous as it is I could never get into them and sold them again, not because of a dislike of Millers work (as I love his batman stuff) they just left me a bit... cold? Comparing them to the Brubaker and Bendis stuff, it’s like chalk and cheese, and I love me some cheese, chalk, not so much

Incredible Member

Yeah, had Millers DD twice and the companion, when the omnis first came out sold them, and I thought I’d give them another go with the new releases but as blasphemous as it is I could never get into them and sold them again, not because of a dislike of Millers work (as I love his batman stuff) they just left me a bit... cold? Comparing them to the Brubaker and Bendis stuff, it’s like chalk and cheese, and I love me some cheese, chalk, not so much
    Well there is no rule saying one has to like something just because its well regarded! I recently read Omega Men(Tom King) based on great reviews. I found it "ok". I have not yet read Bendis but truthfully, I enjoyed Brubaker more than Miller. I still enjoyed Millers run a lot though. Daredevil fans are lucky to have multiple great runs.

This is a fair assessment. I think there were things that Diggle did that were great but knew they weren't going to stick and that it was headed for a reboot. You're right, though, people don't give this run a fair shake. I also will be getting it.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Keep in mind that I'm a huge DD fan, but I liked Shadowland. It wasn't as good as Bru's or Bendis' runs, but it was still good.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member

Daredevil is how I wish Batman was actually portrayed.

Cheers for the advice, i’ll have a think about it and see what else is coming out around the same time, as I have told myself from next year I am really going to cut down on my purchases, space I’d becoming a bit of a problem, and to be honest there isn’t that much around that excites me now, I’m finishing too many books with a ‘meh’
    You could try and pick up the DD floppies or TPBs cheap (DAREDEVIL (1998) #501-512) and the Shadowland TPB event cheap in order to see if you'll like it, but from what I remember from your posts, you're not a big fan of Marvel and this also does not have the Matt you "like" from Bendis and Brubaker. In Shadowland, he is a totally different "beast" (for those in the know pun intended )

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    This is a fair assessment. I think there were things that Diggle did that were great but knew they weren't going to stick and that it was headed for a reboot. You're right, though, people don't give this run a fair shake. I also will be getting it.
    Yeah, I think Diggle tried his best, but from what I understood was shoehorned by editorial.

Really, in what way exactly?

Btw, Miller's is my favourite DD run.
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 10-29-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Really, in what way exactly?

Btw, Miller's is my favourite DD run.
    I usually say when people compare Batman to Superman and they list all the reasons why he is much more interesting to read about (as in he is human, has a dark side and is a tragic hero) they actually talk about DD because it's all true about him but not so much about Batman (and that's not saying Batman is not a great character but he is just as perfect and undefeatable as Superman).