Page 742 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 2426426927327387397407417427437447457467527928421242 ... LastLast
Results 11,116 to 11,130 of 20730
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    done! thanks for the update!
    You're the man Bal!

Btw, any idea what's happening with Canucked?

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RickyMeister View Post
    Anyone here have the GoTG:Road to Annihilation paperbacks they released last year? If you do or have read the material in them are they worth picking up before the Annihilation complete collections come out later in the year? Thanks
    bump. Anyone?

Posted this earlier over on the MMW MBs but thought I'd paste here as well in case anyone was interested. I finished the X-Men Mutant Genesis Epic last night. Here are my takeaways on the book:

The Kings of Pain Annual crossover at the beginning of the volume are the worst comics in this collection. Heck, they're probably some of the worst comics published, ever. No lie, they're trash. I'm sure someone out there liked them but they were so bad, art & story, that I (barely) skimmed them and kept on chugging thru the book. I didn't like these at all. I couldn't make heads or tails out of what was going on and they looked terrible. This section gets an F.

Next up are the X-Factor issues plotted by Lee/Portacio and scripted by Claremont. The art has not held up over time & looks overly complicated, and chock full of 90s cliches (open mouthed screaming, tech everywhere, and clenched teeth and overly aggressive posturing & poses ... basically everything bad we remember from the 90s comics are included here). The scripting by Claremont kept these issues readable, however, and read together in one setting they were okay. In re-reading I noticed that there was lots of foreshadowing that Nate would eventually become Cable. Whenever there would be mosaics of future images, you'd see Cable in some of the broken shards of the timeline, etc. I'd grade this section a solid C+.

Muir Island Saga: I'd read (or knew of) these issues when they were originally published but it was nice to read them all in one setting, which I finished off last night. When they were originally published I was only a casual X-reader so I was lost & confused about the various subplots, but re-reading it all today and knowing the history of the books I understood things much better. I'd give this story arc a B-.

In all, it was a fairly decent conclusion to the story, but I'm curious to know if Claremont had his name removed from the final two UXM books? The writer was listed on some issues as Fabian Nicieza or "Fabian Nicieza with lots of help", etc. I know of the urban legends surrounding Claremont's departure from UXM that he had serious disagreements with Lee/Portacio and that is ultimately what drove him from the X-books in the early 1990s. Claremont's issues during this stretch were the strongest, but the epilogue issue by PAD was well done as well, dealing with all the fallout of the Muir Island saga. PAD does some nice character moments with Rogue & Mystique, Strong Guy & Polaris, Cyclops & Jean returning to the X-Men, some of Professor X's thoughts on returning to the series after several years and not knowing about Cyclops' marriage to Madelyine or Nate Christopher, Jean was alive again, Archangel's transformation, etc. My only complaint is that the plots seemed ... rushed for lack of a better word. I know editorial was keen to clear the slate for the upcoming X-Men (1991) series and that's the reason for the rushed nature, but it is really evident in reading these issues all together.

Finally, we get Mutant Genesis which kicked off the new X-Men book in 1991. These issues still hold up well today and Claremont really left the book with a bang. The art by Lee is great, and we get some nice character beats by Magneto. You can tell Claremont held him in high regard. He muses that "he does not wish to harm the X-Men" or that "we were once brothers in arms fighting the same fight", etc which is nice considering only a few years earlier he had led the X-Men in Xavier's absence. It was good he wasn't turned into a straight up villain with no regard to what came before. My only (minor) gripe is that basically the entire slate was wiped clean for this new series launch and all the familar tropes of the X-Men were back with little build up ... the mansion & danger room are fully restored off-panel, Xavier is crippled (yet again ... sheesh give the guy a break), Magneto is villainous (yet again). Overall these issues get an A-.

Well that's it! Now on to the next book on my reading stack! Still deciding between continuing my read of the Batman: Knightfall Omnibus or trying out the Further Adventures of Cyclops & Phoenix TPB which I found in storage but have never read.

So I don't often buy collected editions (I'm often perfectly happy with Comixology, and really like floppies) but I dig the Complete Collection and Epic Collection lines. My specific interests have been fairly isolated too; mostly Wolverine and occasionally others (the recent "Beware the Inhumans", which read like pseudo-Epic Volume 2 to "Origin of the Inhumans" as a pseudo-Epic Volume 1).

I occasionally buy collected editions when I go to liquidation bookstores; there's a fantastic one in Toronto on Bloor that I can spend hours in, plus its sister shop at Yonge and Edward.

When something new comes out that I definitely want, I preorder from my local store, which offers good discounts, almost always cheaper than Amazon.ca or Indigo.ca. You just need the forethought to preorder them the month after they're solicited (when Diamond puts out their preorder codes).

Anyways, I'm also here to complain because, while I love me some discounts, my usual comics budget doesn't allow for these to be purchased too frequently. I was a bit annoyed when Wolverine by Daniel Way Volume 4 and Wolverine Epic Collection Volume 13 were solicited the same month. Thankfully I had some extra Christmas money lying around that could be devoted to collected editions.

Astonishing Member

bump. Anyone?
    They don't really tie into the Annihilation storyline and are not done by Abnett/Lanning.

They collect the appearances of the various GotG characters prior to the first Annihilation story. But at that point they were just random characters without any real ties to each other. There are some stories of note like Infinity Abyss or the last half of the Thanos series, but those are available in separate collections already.

I think Marvel saw the sales for the Cosmic collections starting with Annihilation and wanted to pump out some more books as a cash grab. Even completists would probably pass these up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Posted this earlier over on the MMW MBs but thought I'd paste here as well in case anyone was interested. I finished the X-Men Mutant Genesis Epic last night. Here are my takeaways on the book:

The Kings of Pain Annual crossover at the beginning of the volume are the worst comics in this collection. Heck, they're probably some of the worst comics published, ever. No lie, they're trash. I'm sure someone out there liked them but they were so bad, art & story, that I (barely) skimmed them and kept on chugging thru the book. I didn't like these at all. I couldn't make heads or tails out of what was going on and they looked terrible. This section gets an F.

Next up are the X-Factor issues plotted by Lee/Portacio and scripted by Claremont. The art has not held up over time & looks overly complicated, and chock full of 90s cliches (open mouthed screaming, tech everywhere, and clenched teeth and overly aggressive posturing & poses ... basically everything bad we remember from the 90s comics are included here). The scripting by Claremont kept these issues readable, however, and read together in one setting they were okay. In re-reading I noticed that there was lots of foreshadowing that Nate would eventually become Cable. Whenever there would be mosaics of future images, you'd see Cable in some of the broken shards of the timeline, etc. I'd grade this section a solid C+.

Muir Island Saga: I'd read (or knew of) these issues when they were originally published but it was nice to read them all in one setting, which I finished off last night. When they were originally published I was only a casual X-reader so I was lost & confused about the various subplots, but re-reading it all today and knowing the history of the books I understood things much better. I'd give this story arc a B-.

In all, it was a fairly decent conclusion to the story, but I'm curious to know if Claremont had his name removed from the final two UXM books? The writer was listed on some issues as Fabian Nicieza or "Fabian Nicieza with lots of help", etc. I know of the urban legends surrounding Claremont's departure from UXM that he had serious disagreements with Lee/Portacio and that is ultimately what drove him from the X-books in the early 1990s. Claremont's issues during this stretch were the strongest, but the epilogue issue by PAD was well done as well, dealing with all the fallout of the Muir Island saga. PAD does some nice character moments with Rogue & Mystique, Strong Guy & Polaris, Cyclops & Jean returning to the X-Men, some of Professor X's thoughts on returning to the series after several years and not knowing about Cyclops' marriage to Madelyine or Nate Christopher, Jean was alive again, Archangel's transformation, etc. My only complaint is that the plots seemed ... rushed for lack of a better word. I know editorial was keen to clear the slate for the upcoming X-Men (1991) series and that's the reason for the rushed nature, but it is really evident in reading these issues all together.

Finally, we get Mutant Genesis which kicked off the new X-Men book in 1991. These issues still hold up well today and Claremont really left the book with a bang. The art by Lee is great, and we get some nice character beats by Magneto. You can tell Claremont held him in high regard. He muses that "he does not wish to harm the X-Men" or that "we were once brothers in arms fighting the same fight", etc which is nice considering only a few years earlier he had led the X-Men in Xavier's absence. It was good he wasn't turned into a straight up villain with no regard to what came before. My only (minor) gripe is that basically the entire slate was wiped clean for this new series launch and all the familar tropes of the X-Men were back with little build up ... the mansion & danger room are fully restored off-panel, Xavier is crippled (yet again ... sheesh give the guy a break), Magneto is villainous (yet again). Overall these issues get an A-.

Well that's it! Now on to the next book on my reading stack! Still deciding between continuing my read of the Batman: Knightfall Omnibus or trying out the Further Adventures of Cyclops & Phoenix TPB which I found in storage but have never read.
    I would recommend reading Marvel: The Untold Story by Sean Howe for details on Claremont's departure from the X-Men.

Basically, Jim Lee was co plotting and wanted go in one direction, while Claremont wanted to go in a different direction. The Editor in Chief Bob Harras sided with Lee, and Claremont was basically reduced to scripting Lee's plots. Harras also wanted to wrap up the various sub plots, reunite the X-Men and X-Factor, and return many characters back to the old status quo. This included putting Xavier back in the wheelchair. Claremont got partway through one of the issues and quit, leading to Fabian N taking over as scripter for the rest of the issues.

Claremont did get to write the initial X-Men issues for the new title as a parting gift.

Also, Marvel had been wanting to turn Magneto back into a villain for several years, but Claremont never went along with it. The ending to the X-Men vs. Avengers mini had to be rewritten, and the original writer (Roger Stern) was replaced on the last issue. New Mutants had an issue where Magneto turns bad, but it was never followed up on. Claremont continued to use Magneto as a hero/anti-hero, refusing to show him as a villain.

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    They don't really tie into the Annihilation storyline and are not done by Abnett/Lanning.

They collect the appearances of the various GotG characters prior to the first Annihilation story. But at that point they were just random characters without any real ties to each other. There are some stories of note like Infinity Abyss or the last half of the Thanos series, but those are available in separate collections already.

I think Marvel saw the sales for the Cosmic collections starting with Annihilation and wanted to pump out some more books as a cash grab. Even completists would probably pass these up.
    Would it be worth picking up vol 2 for the thanos issues? The thanos tpb is out of print and i cant find it anywhere for a decent price.

Astonishing Member

Would it be worth picking up vol 2 for the thanos issues? The thanos tpb is out of print and i cant find it anywhere for a decent price.
    The Thanos issues are the most relevant to the later cosmic runs by DnA. They are written by Keith Giffen, and are the first issues that have Starlord in the marvel universe.

Having said that, Starlod only has a small part and the story doesn't lead into Annihilation. If you are a diehard Starlord fan who wants every appearance, I could see getting volume 2. But otherwise, I would still pass on it.

I haven't seen this mention yet. So here goes. Spider-gril complete edition is going to be released in August. For many fans it has been a long wait and for many it seams like it wouldn't happen. Well apparently it will happen in August according to Amazon It has been a long time since I have been this happy for a rerelease. Really enjoy reading when I first read it doing the early 00's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    I haven't seen this mention yet. So here goes. Spider-gril complete edition is going to be released in August. For many fans it has been a long wait and for many it seams like it wouldn't happen. Well apparently it will happen in August according to Amazon It has been a long time since I have been this happy for a rerelease. Really enjoy reading when I first read it doing the early 00's.
    I was always curious about this series, heard many good things. Thanks for the heads up.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

This should be a thin Omni in the vein of Mcfarlane Spider-man.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I was always curious about this series, heard many good things. Thanks for the heads up.
    I will happily buy this and any other future releases they plan on putting out. I used to have the entire first series plus her 1st appearance in What If but sold them all years ago as I got rid of most of my single issues. It will be nice to re-read them. It was a fun series, DeFalco always does a good job, and the art by Frenz & Oliffe was nice to look at as well. Fun stories, done in a throwback style to classic Marvel super-heroics.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    This should be a thin Omni in the vein of Mcfarlane Spider-man.
    ?????

There was 100+ issues. This Complete Collection is only Vol. 1.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    ?????

There was 100+ issues. This Complete Collection is only Vol. 1.
    Well I thought there were more issues. My memory is foggy as I didn't read it month in/out.

Maybe an Omni will come.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Apparently Marvel now has the Conan license again?

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-conan-license/

Hmm, I was a big fan of Dark Horse's Conan comics, although I admit I haven't been keeping up with them.

I am interested in the older reprints though.

I'm not too happy that Disney/Marvel seems to be monopolizing the comics industry lately...