Page 745 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2456456957357417427437447457467477487497557958451245 ... LastLast
Results 11,161 to 11,175 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Was Nathan Edmonson Punisher (the series that ended with Secret Wars) any good?
    Mitch Gerards art is strongest point for me. The story -ok, good dynamic, but not brutal enough for Punisher

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Was Nathan Edmonson Punisher (the series that ended with Secret Wars) any good?
    Good, yes. Enjoyable, yes. As a followup to the Greg Rucka run it was well done, he even plays the continuity card and brings back Rachel Cole-Alves for one issue.

I give it a 4 out of 5 stars.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Good, yes. Enjoyable, yes. As a followup to the Greg Rucka run it was well done, he even plays the continuity card and brings back Rachel Cole-Alves for one issue.

I give it a 4 out of 5 stars.
    I agree. I liked this series and it's probably underrated because it followed Rucka.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    For the last year & a half or so I kind of got on a Conan kick. I'd never read any of that material as a kid, and was curious to give it a try. For all intents and purposes, Marvel really made Conan the successful IP he is today. Sure the genesis is there in the REH novellas, but the Marvel guys really fleshed the character out and made him into a pop culture icon starting in the early 1970s. Before Marvel, he was basically a throwaway pulp character. I'd go so far as to postulate that if it weren't for Marvel, Roy Thomas in particular, probably no one in the mainstream would even know who Conan is today.

So long story, slightly shorter, I decided to give the character a try with some of the DH reprints of the classic 1970s Marvel stories. Over time I picked up second hand copies of the two BWS HCs, and most of the Chronicles of Conan TPBs put out by DH over the years. I also picked up some of the REH novels pre-owned off amazon for cheap.

I liked most of the comic book material I read so far, but was a bit let down by the presentation in DH's reprints. I'm a long time Marvel Zombie and am familiar with their top notch reproduction of classic stories featured in the Epic, MMW, and Omnibus series of books, so I had high expectations. I couldn't get my head around DH not including covers in their reprints! (At least in the first few collections). Also some of the more modern recoloring was kind of garish in spots. In summary, while it was nice to read these old comics, the presentation just wasn't that great.

Story-wise from the comics, I mostly liked what I read but Roy Thomas' scripting can be a grind to read over and over, so I would read one volume, move on to something else, then come back to Conan for another volume a few weeks later, etc. I didn't like the REH novellas. I felt they were too "over written" for lack of a better term. And it didn't help the stories were non-linear. In one novella, Conan is a barbarian, in another he's a king, in another he's a pirate. I found them kind of hard to get into on a consistent basis.

My favorites, out of what I've read, were the Frost Giant's Daughter, the Tower of the Elephant, and some of the later stories Thomas did in his return to the character in the 1990s near the end of Conan's original comic series (the adventures of Conan as a teen, etc). I also liked the Marvel King Conan series featuring Conan as an aged ruler, with his son at his side, but I haven't finished those just yet.

Really looking forward to Marvel's forthcoming reprints. Marvel did an amazing job getting the MOKFU series back into print after decades of languishing in comic book limbo and I am sure they will do just as well or better with Conan! Now my only conundrum is: do I sell the DH collections & wait for Marvel's, or hold on to them? Ah the life of a comic collector....

Lastly, Conan is considered part of the mainstream MU ... just in the Hyborean age prior to recorded history. I didn't remember it until I read the CBR article, but he did have some minor sporadic appearances (non-What If) in the mainstream MU modern times. Even an FF issue near the end of the DeFalco/Ryan run. Check it out:

https://www.cbr.com/conan-marvel-com...st-crossovers/
    Thanks for the link.
    Did not remembered The Saga of the Serpent Crown story that was divided across the Atlantis Attack crossover.
    Neither knew about that Conan apearence in Fantastic Four !
    Interesting info about the sporadic apearences of Conan in the MU.

Amazing Member

Hello,

I would like to ask if anyone has the X-men Phalanx Covenant? I really like the digital colours of the cover and I would like to know if there is the same picture complete in one of the inside pages (for example in the X-men Bishop’s crossing HC the complete cover exists in one of the internal pages without the title or anything else on it). I am thinking of buying it through ebay, but I want it only if this picture exist inside (I already have as single issues most of the issues contained in it).
    Thank you very much in advance and I am sorry if this is not the right thread for my question.

New Mutants Demon Bear is going to be released in april. Obliviously done to support the movie which has now been postponed almost a year. Question is if the book will be be postponed as well or the will just promote the movie with the book for a year. Wonder if the released was planned before or after Disney's bidding on Fox (we are still waiting to see if Disney is allowed to acquiring or if the government will prevent it with the antitrust law).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    New Mutants Demon Bear is going to be released in april. Obliviously done to support the movie which has now been postponed almost a year. Question is if the book will be be postponed as well or the will just promote the movie with the book for a year. Wonder if the released was planned before or after Disney's bidding on Fox (we are still waiting to see if Disney is allowed to acquiring or if the government will prevent it with the antitrust law).
    Isn't that the exact same trade the did some timge ago which was called New Mutants /X-Force: Demon Bear? I remember reading it and that I was not really satisfied because I did not have the issues before or after and it kind of felt lacking in terms of what is going on with the team etc. The same goes for that one issue of X-Force vol. 1 that was inclouded.

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    Isn't that the exact same trade the did some timge ago which was called New Mutants /X-Force: Demon Bear? I remember reading it and that I was not really satisfied because I did not have the issues before or after and it kind of felt lacking in terms of what is going on with the team etc. The same goes for that one issue of X-Force vol. 1 that was inclouded.
    This seems like YAT (Yet Another Trade) that will be collected in Epic at some point. Hard to purchase a trade now knowing there may be a version better fitting into the collection later on.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Personally, I hope they just release the trade and schedule in the New Mutants by Claremont Omnibus for the new Movie release date (which is what we SHOULD have been getting in April anyway!!! Lol)

So awhile back someone posted a pic of Avengers Disassembled Thor Captain America Iron Man, which I didn't know was an OHC collection. This was after I had noted that the Oeming Thor run deserved a nice collection.

Soooo, I finally tracked it down for a reasonable price.

Oh man is this book bad.

Now the Thor story is actually readable but nowhere near as good as I remember. I don't recall the artist, but it's like 90s cheese (even though it was in 2004ish).

The Iron Man is barely readable. In fact, the story line is just stupid.

Now, onto the Cap/Falcon issues. First, they're almost impossible to follow. They just kind of jump around from place to place and then all of a sudden Luke Cage appears. He's passed out drunk in his Lazy-Boy, so when Cap and Falcon break into his apartment he immediately attacks them right before telling them that one must "never take a black man's remote."

Damn, I didn't know Luke like TV that much!

OK, I kind of chuckled. It's a little dated. I guess the writer was trying to be funny or something. (Remember "Sweet Christmas"!?)

However, later on, Cap and Scarlet Witch start to strike up a relationship. Now this actually had potential and I believe it was touched on during the Bendis run. I hadn't read this part before.

Sooooo, Wanda spends the night with Cap. The next morning he tells an inquiring-minded Falcon about it. Falcon's first reaction is that because of Wanda's religion and overall weirdness that they might now be considered married. Cap then suggests that they can't be because they didn't have sex.

Falcon's reaction? Here I'll just post the panel. (I'm still shaking my head.)

IMG_4730.jpg

Astonishing Member

Was looking to see how would i collect the Doctor Strange Volume 2 and it seems that the best option now is to wait for the Epic collection to have new books of this series.Dunno when new Epic Doctor Strange books get published.
    The editions of Masterworks that have this series seem all to have gone out of print acording to the prices they are being sold now.
    A shame that there is not a Doctor Strange Omnibus of this comic book,that have stories by Roger Stern for exemple.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panagiotis1 View Post
    Hello,

I would like to ask if anyone has the X-men Phalanx Covenant? I really like the digital colours of the cover and I would like to know if there is the same picture complete in one of the inside pages (for example in the X-men Bishop’s crossing HC the complete cover exists in one of the internal pages without the title or anything else on it). I am thinking of buying it through ebay, but I want it only if this picture exist inside (I already have as single issues most of the issues contained in it).
    Thank you very much in advance and I am sorry if this is not the right thread for my question.
    This is what's in the book. image.jpgIt is also the image used as the wrap on the cover boardsimage.jpg
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Fantastic Member

Thinking of picking up the Avengers by Hickman omnibus since I haven’t read the Infinity event. A little bummed that the covers apparently don’t precede each issue, and are instead lumped in the back, but just a minor gripe I’ll get over.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
    Personally, I hope they just release the trade and schedule in the New Mutants by Claremont Omnibus for the new Movie release date (which is what we SHOULD have been getting in April anyway!!! Lol)
    The omnibus will sell regardless. This is for the casual fan or the fans who don't have the means are willing to pay for the omnibuses. "Oh the New Mutants movie is based on this comic - I will check it out". You could debate whatever or not the should just have made it an epic volume however it got a low price tag on it so comics shops should be able to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    Judging be the price tag it probably won't have to many issues. If it is the exact same content I can't tell since it isn't listed. It wouldn't be the first time happening.

Amazing Member

@Brewman Thank you very much for your answer! That is what I wanted to know. I am going to buy it so I can have the whole story and the bonus features. I loved the story when it was first published. Thank you again.