Page 756 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2566567067467527537547557567577587597607668068561256 ... LastLast
Results 11,326 to 11,340 of 20773
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Is it just me or has this thread slowed down quite a bit in the last year?

If it isn't just me, could it be due to Marvel annoying a lot of their hardcore fans with the single-issue game, thus leading to a lowered interest in collected form sales?

Or maybe not, because it seems like they've been putting out a lot of in-demand collections over the last year.
    I think one of the reasons for the slowdown in previous years is due to the start of other threads such as "Latest Orders" and "What collected edition are you reading", not to mention "Good Deals" which started a couple of years ago. So what we used to post on this thread is now posted elsewhere.

I don't think the "single issue" game that Marvel is playing is the reason. In fact, it's probably the opposite as I for one stopped purchasing singles a couple of years sgo and only pick up the occasional "special" issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I’m currently re-reading the Brubaker Cap run and wanted to get Fallen Son by Loeb. I read some of the floppies at the time and enjoyed them. Am I correct in assuming that there were two hardcover collections of this published - one in regular size and the other an OHC that included an extra issue or two.
    I have the OHC but I'm not home right now to check the contents. The contents of the OHC as per the MMW site are: Fallen Son: Wolverine #1, Fallen Son: Avengers #1, Fallen Son: Captain America #1, Fallen Son: Spider-Man #1, Fallen Son: Iron Man #1; Captain America Comics #1

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I’m currently re-reading the Brubaker Cap run and wanted to get Fallen Son by Loeb. I read some of the floppies at the time and enjoyed them. Am I correct in assuming that there were two hardcover collections of this published - one in regular size and the other an OHC that included an extra issue or two.
    I just did the exact same thing during the holidays. This 5 Omni set is a beauty on all levels. I tried to hunt down the Fallen Son OHC but it was a little bit too expensive in Germany. I do not know about the extra issues as I went with the reprint of the trade that came out not too long ago.

Maybe that is not necessary as you are normally pretty well informed but I would also suggest to get the Marvels Project as an (un?)official prelude to Brubakers run (which is in my opinion a pretty good starting point) and maybe also the first tow Secret Avengers story arcs, which are somewhat tied to certain aspects in Marvels project and the Cap run. Unfortunately Brubaker left after #12 I think and the other stories were pretty forgettable as I recall.

Have a blast re-reading this great run!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I think one of the reasons for the slowdown in previous years is due to the start of other threads such as "Latest Orders" and "What collected edition are you reading", not to mention "Good Deals" which started a couple of years ago. So what we used to post on this thread is now posted elsewhere.
    I think you are partly right here. The thread used to grow over night sometimes many pages and got a little bit hard to follow especially for people who only tracked it once a week or so.

That being said: I felt for many months that the regulars contributed more reviews and also one had more debates in here before about the actual material in a HC and also about recent story arcs. In fact, I think the many posts about the upcoming Revolution by Claremont Omnibus triggered a really good discussion about the era of comics, Claremont's work, etc., which has become quiet rare.

To make my point clear that is more an observation and not in any way a criticism. The reasons could be multi-faceted (I can only comment on the X side of things more deeply): the lack of really good new material for many years (exceptions are the Magneto run, also the Black Widow Marvel Now! run, Daredevil Waid, the first Now! Deadpool run, Vision, Hickmans Avengers run, and with a BIG maybe but still good as in at least highly controversial Caps recent run and Secret Empire), event fatique, many reprints or just upgrades of material which was available in OHC before, more people going digital, which adds another layer of not being in sinc timewise (trade(HC waiter, single issue readers, Omnibus only people), etc.

But as we see more and more X Omnis and trades of never before collected material (Weapon X run, Domino trade, pre Onslaught X-Force, Cable, New Mutants) maybe there will be a change and we will see more reviews and discussions. In the end the question is: do you have the time to post here and feel that it is worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    I just did the exact same thing during the holidays. This 5 Omni set is a beauty on all levels. I tried to hunt down the Fallen Son OHC but it was a little bit too expensive in Germany. I do not know about the extra issues as I went with the reprint of the trade that came out not too long ago.

Maybe that is not necessary as you are normally pretty well informed but I would also suggest to get the Marvels Project as an (un?)official prelude to Brubakers run (which is in my opinion a pretty good starting point) and maybe also the first tow Secret Avengers story arcs, which are somewhat tied to certain aspects in Marvels project and the Cap run. Unfortunately Brubaker left after #12 I think and the other stories were pretty forgettable as I recall.

I agree, Marvels Project is really good. I haven't read Brubaker's SA run yet but I highly enjoyed Ellis' 6 issues. They are just a lot of fun. Remender's was kind of mediocre after that but still not bad.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I agree, Marvels Project is really good. I haven't read Brubaker's SA run yet but I highly enjoyed Ellis' 6 issues. They are just a lot of fun. Remender's was kind of mediocre after that but still not bad.
    You are probably right that Remeders run was not bad at all, I just have a real hard time remembering the details.

If you are ok with trades I think I saw that we will get a complete collection of Brubakers Secret Avengers in Summer. I am also a huge fan of Deodato who penned most of the issues.

You are probably right that Remeders run was not bad at all, I just have a real hard time remembering the details.

If you are ok with trades I think I saw that we will get a complete collection of Brubakers Secret Avengers in Summer. I am also a huge fan of Deodato who penned most of the issues.
    I absolutely hate Deodato and put him somewhere between Liefeld and Greg Land (just his style, overall he is better than Land and Liefeld) but I will probably get the new collection because of Brubaker. Didn't know it's coming out so thanks for the info!

I have read Marvels Project and have the OHC but completely forgot about re-reading it before I started on Cap. Ha ha, I'll have to take a break and go re-read it now.

I read Brubaker's run of SA and thought it was so-so. I never thought he handled team books that well. Authority was another title he wrote that I didn't particularly enjoy but he also was following Ellis and Millar.

Speaking of Ellis - I loved his Secret Avengers and wish they'd collect it along with his short Moon Knight run in an OHC, since that's where he introduced Mr Knight.

I dropped the title after a few issues of Remender. I can't stand his Marvel work (with the exception being the first half of X-Force). I do like a lot of his independent work.

Spectacular Member

I absolutely hate Deodato and put him somewhere between Liefeld and Greg Land (just his style, overall he is better than Land and Liefeld) but I will probably get the new collection because of Brubaker. Didn't know it's coming out so thanks for the info!
    Maybe that is one of the beauties of the medium. A very good friend - who got into collecting comics roughly the same time as I did - and I, we can almost never agree when it comes to art, but on most of the stories.

Interesting triptych. The one got me into comics, I really like some of the other's covers (I get the critique of using over the top sexual content but still it fits my tastes) and I even have a tattoo that leans heavily on Deaodatos Rachel (Grey? Summers? don't get me started) from Infinity.

BUT we can all agree on probably most of Brubakers work.
    Last edited by poolovision; 02-08-2018 at 06:03 AM.

Maybe that is one of the beauties of the medium. A very good friend - who got into collecting comics roughly the same time as I did - and I, we can almost never agree when it comes to art, but on most of the stories.

Interesting triptych. The one got me into comics, I really like some of the other's covers (I get the critique of using over the top sexual content but still it fits my tastes) and I even have a tattoo that leans heavily on Deaodatos Rachel (Grey? Summers? don't get me started) from Infinity.

BUT we can all agree on probably most of Brubakers work.
    I get the appeal of these artists, even Liefeld they're just really not for me. But I agree, different strokes for different folks. I have a friend who doesn't want to touch anything by Tradd Moore (who I think is brilliant) or by the Luna brothers (which is understandable but it the art style really doesn't matter in those books).

I bet this gets asked a lot (so I apologize in advance) but when can we usually expect an update from the hachette catalogue?

Incredible Member

I was very tempted to order the Bendis Iron Man OHC, but the fact that Marquez only illustrates five issues is a bit of a buzzkill. I actually like Deodato, but Marquez really nails the look of the new armor.

Does he eventually return to the title? Would anyone say it's a series worth investing in? I was intruiged by Riri Williams but don't know if her story was concluded in a satisfying way.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    I was very tempted to order the Bendis Iron Man OHC, but the fact that Marquez only illustrates five issues is a bit of a buzzkill. I actually like Deodato, but Marquez really nails the look of the new armor.

Does he eventually return to the title? Would anyone say it's a series worth investing in? I was intruiged by Riri Williams but don't know if her story was concluded in a satisfying way.

All of the Bendis IM - particularly Infamous - was great. All the storylines from the second volumes are now running in the current Legacy IM series so technically Riri’s story hasn’t been concluded.

I really enjoyed Bendis' IM run. Though I too was soured by the switch to Deodato. Id still say its worth a buy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I really enjoyed Bendis' IM run. Though I too was soured by the switch to Deodato. Id still say its worth a buy though.
    I wish Marvel would have at least collected the first two series' volumes together. I think they were Invincible and International.

Spectacular Member Master Destructo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I bet this gets asked a lot (so I apologize in advance) but when can we usually expect an update from the hachette catalogue?
    Based on past updates, probably mid March. It can vary by several weeks though.