Page 803 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 3037037537937998008018028038048058068078138539031303 ... LastLast
Results 12,031 to 12,045 of 20767

That better not be the cover to Mutant Massacre omni.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Also this from BOOM Studios:

PLANET OF THE APES ARCHIVE VOL. 4 HC

*****ADVANCE SOLICITED FOR SEPTEMBER 2018*****
    Publisher: BOOM! Studios
    Retail Price: $59.99
    Writer: Doug Moench, Paul Dehn
    Artist: Vicente Alcazar, Sonny Trinidad, Alfredo P. Alcala, Yong Montano, Dino Castrillo, Virgil Redondo, Tom Sutton, Ed Hannigan, and Jim Mooney
    Cover Artist: Bob Larkin
    Experience the legendary 1970s Planet of the Apes originally published by Marvel Comics, collected for the first time ever, and remastered in prestigious hardcover.
    The Planet of the Apes Archive includes the screenplay adaptations from acclaimed Hollywood screenwriter for Battle for the Planet of the Apes by Paul Dehn ( Murder on the Orient Express ).
    Also collects Future History Chronicles and Evolution’s Nightmare.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    S.H.I.E.L.D. BY HICKMAN & WEAVER: THE HUMAN MACHINE OHC Cover by GERALD PAREL:
    I do not remember seeing this one mentioned yet!!
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    This is the solicitation:

S.H.I.E.L.D. BY HICKMAN & WEAVER: THE HUMAN MACHINE HC
    Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN
    Penciled by DUSTIN WEAVER, NICK PITARRA, ZACHARY BALDUS, KEVIN MELLON & GABRIEL HERNANDEZ WALTA
    Cover by GERALD PAREL
    A long-awaited modern classic — collected at last! The hidden past of S.H.I.E.L.D. is revealed, courtesy of some of history’s greatest minds! Michelangelo has been pulling the strings for years — but can even he keep Leonardo da Vinci and Sir Isaac Newton from killing each other and destroying the Brotherhood of the Shield? The battle for the Immortal City comes to a climactic conclusion! Michelangelo and Nikola Tesla kick their plan into high gear! Galileo takes on Galactus! The truth behind Nostradamus is uncovered! And Howard Stark lays the foundation for the espionage organization you know and love! But the battle that decides our present will be fought in the future.
    Collecting S.H.I.E.L.D. (2011) #1-4, S.H.I.E.L.D. BY HICKMAN & WEAVER #5-6 and S.H.I.E.L.D. INFINITY.
    192 PGS./Rated T+ …$29.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-5249-1
    Trim size: oversized

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    I was happily surprised to see that coming out already - the last parts (issues 5 and 6) come out in May and the OHC in July!! I was expecting we wouldn't see this until late in the year since it wasn't in Amazon's inventory system yet (and still isn't).
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 04-18-2018 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Mis-stated May shipping info

Amazing Member

Also this from BOOM Studios:

PLANET OF THE APES ARCHIVE VOL. 4 HC

*****ADVANCE SOLICITED FOR SEPTEMBER 2018*****
    Publisher: BOOM! Studios
    Retail Price: $59.99
    Writer: Doug Moench, Paul Dehn
    Artist: Vicente Alcazar, Sonny Trinidad, Alfredo P. Alcala, Yong Montano, Dino Castrillo, Virgil Redondo, Tom Sutton, Ed Hannigan, and Jim Mooney
    Cover Artist: Bob Larkin
    Experience the legendary 1970s Planet of the Apes originally published by Marvel Comics, collected for the first time ever, and remastered in prestigious hardcover.
    The Planet of the Apes Archive includes the screenplay adaptations from acclaimed Hollywood screenwriter for Battle for the Planet of the Apes by Paul Dehn ( Murder on the Orient Express ).
    Also collects Future History Chronicles and Evolution’s Nightmare.

Did anyone else notice that Boom is selling volume 3 of this archive series today DIGITALLY for $57? Are they insane? They have literally priced it to sell no copies in order to maintain price parity with a printed hardcover book.

It'll come down when they get tired of selling none. Running off customers to prop up the direct market just costs them money as people find other ways to read it, or perhaps it's part of the Amazon Marvel discount backlash or maybe just a mistake. It wont stay at that price. eventually they will want to sell some copies.

The countdown to the Most Wanted Omnibuses continues:

#30 SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN

#29 X-FORCE VOLUME 3

#28 SILVER SURFER by ENGELHART

#27 GENERATION X

#26 ALPHA FLIGHT VOLUME 2

#25 ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN VOLUME 2

#24 BLACK PANTHER by CHRISTOPHER PRIEST

#23 GHOST RIDER (BRONZE) VOLUME 1

#22 MOON KNIGHT

#21 AVENGERS VOLUME 4

Ever since I picked up all the USM OHCs from Vol. 4 upwards, I stopped voting for the USM Vol. 2 Omnibus.

Incredible Member

S.H.I.E.L.D. BY HICKMAN & WEAVER: THE HUMAN MACHINE OHC Cover by GERALD PAREL:
    What's Liam Neeson's role in the book?

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Posted this over on the MMW MB but wanted to share here as well if anyone's interested. My review of DD Heart of Darkness Epic.
    ---

While traveling for work this week I read the Daredevil Hearts of Darkness Epic Collection vol 14 which collects Daredevil #271-282 + Annuals (1989-1990) by Ann Nocenti and John Romita, Jr. plus a few other fill in creators. With this being a Daredevil book, you're expecting some gritty street-level tales, right? Maybe Spider-Man will swing by for a crossover issue? Surely it will include some ninja battles? Kingpin at least? Nope, none of that! This stories featured in this Epic volume have got to go down, all time, as some of the oddest character developments for Daredevil ever! Don't get me wrong, I really liked this book! It's hard not to enjoy reading it when the author takes the material so morbidly serious, but the content is so obviously goofy it makes for a fascinating read!

The first 1/3 of the book features DD literally running around forests in upstate NY and a farm, yes, A FARM, battling an evil corporation run by mysterious government agencies who secretly conduct genetic experiments on pigs, chickens, and ... women?! Seriously? Is this a Daredevil book? I'm not making this up.

A couple of issues go by and there's a huge battle royale between new villain, Shotgun, DD, the farm operator's daughter, Brandy, and an escaped genetically modified "perfect woman" named #9. Things settle down & the shady farm operator realizes he doesn't REALLY want to murder everyone and HE'S SO SORRY he was conducting EVIL experiments. His excuse was "it was all a government-run operation, and he was simply following orders". Sigh. So like 10 mins after trying to kill everyone, they all end up as big buddies. How nice.

Then a couple Inhumans show up (Gorgon & Karnak) looking for Black Bolt & Medusa's son, whom the Inhuman high council exiled to earth because he was genetically predisposed to be evil. Yeah, because apparently this book wasn't weird enough already. In one hilarious issue the Inhumans, DD, #9, and Brandy all go for pancakes at a local diner. IN COSTUME. DD sits there eating breakfast in his red tights, with an overcoat and hat. Nice disguise! Surely no one will see your costume, DD! The waitress asks if they're going to a costume party...

Then Ultron shows up for a couple issues for the obligatory "Acts of Vengeance" crossover & DD defeats him after 2 issues worth of battle, by HITTING HIM WITH A TREE BRANCH. I repeat: HITTING HIM WITH A TREE BRANCH. Yes, it's true this is in fact the very same Ultron who routinely fights the entire Avengers team to a stand still and has been known to take over the whole world a time or two. I guess the takeaway here is tree branches are Ultron's kryptonite.

Next up we have a multi-parter featuring the group fighting Mephisto (Marvel's Satan) and his son, Blackheart because apparently Ann Nocenti didn't get enough Satan out of her system during the multi-part Inferno crossover in the previous DD Epic Collection. Satan, Satan, Satan. Apparently no one gave John Romita, Jr the Mephisto style guide or a copy of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe to use as reference material because he draws Mephisto like a giant Muppet with pipe cleaners for hair and popsicle sticks on his nipples. Oh, and one issue has angles (and demons) waking around the entire issue pantsless.

That John Romita, Jr. sure does know how to draw squares and rectangles, doesn't he? With this volume we see his transition from more-or-less house style artwork (his earlier Spidey & X-Men work) to sketcy-sketcherson-magic-marker-box-and-blocky-square-rectangular-Muppet-Satan-drawing-guy.

** 30 YEAR OLD SPOILER ALERT! **

The Silver Surfer shows up for a page and a half to distract Mephisto while DD & team climb out of hell. Brandy dies and turns into an angel. Aw.....

The last 1/3 of the book is the Lifeform 1990 Annual crossover featuring all the 1990 Annuals for DD, Hulk, Punisher and Silver Surfer. It's pretty good. Not bad. Kind of Marvel's version of a Frankenstien meets the Blob type of horror story. It's a breezy read. I'm sure some kids back in 1990 thought it was scary. The best of the bunch is the Hulk annual by Peter David.

Oh, and the 1989 Annual at the very front of the book features art by both JIM LEE and WHILCE PORTACIO! Wow! Comic shop owners & collectors back in 1991 must have been losing their minds over the future collectibility of this issue! Two Image Comics creators in one obscure Marvel Annual before they were famous? COMIC GOLD!

For me, this book gets a solid A++++, 10 stars, because you just can't make this kind of thing up. Seriously if you're on the fence, do yourself a favor and BUY THIS BOOK!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post

That John Romita, Jr. sure does know how to draw squares and rectangles, doesn't he? With this volume we see his transition from more-or-less house style artwork (his earlier Spidey & X-Men work) to sketcy-sketcherson-magic-marker-box-and-blocky-square-rectangular-Muppet-Satan-drawing-guy.
    His early '90's Daredevil and Uncanny X-Men work is masterful compared to his current stuff...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    His early '90's Daredevil and Uncanny X-Men work is masterful compared to his current stuff...
    I agree regarding Daredevil. I believe Al Williamson's inking took JRJR's art up an extra level. I really appreciated his art on Daredevil as opposed to his stuff of recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Apparently no one gave John Romita, Jr the Mephisto style guide or a copy of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe to use as reference material because he draws Mephisto like a giant Muppet with pipe cleaners for hair and popsicle sticks on his nipples. Oh, and one issue has angles (and demons) waking around the entire issue pantsless.
    Oh boy, this had me laughing! I totally remember reading these as an eight-year-old and having no clue what I was seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    Oh boy, this had me laughing! I totally remember reading these as an eight-year-old and having no clue what I was seeing.
    Yeah, but seriously, I mean has Mephisto EVER looked like that anywhere besides JRjr's DD books? Not that I know of. So random. Just like everything else in the book. I really enjoyed reading it, and I even liked most of the art, but man is it an oddball outlier to most any other DD tale.