Page 810 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 3107107608008068078088098108118128138148208609101310 ... LastLast
Results 12,136 to 12,150 of 20773
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I've drawn a line with my completism on Spidey OHCs. I won't be getting the Carnage or Venom Omnibuses. I'm still deliberating over the Spider-Man vs. Venom Omnibus, however.
    Spider-Man v. Venom is a must buy for me, even tho i have several of the early issues collected already. I loved those apearances growing up, but the contents of the venom omnibus don't hold the same weight unfortunately. They were mostly bad as i recall. I did get the carnage omni, mostly out of curiosity for the Conway run that's collected. I haven't read any of those other minis (besides v. Deadpool) either

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    I've been talked out of Venom, Carnage & Daredevil by Waid omnibuses recently. I really want to get into a new ground level Marvel character. Is Daredevil by Frank Miller a good starting point?
    He pretty much sets the tone for the character as we know it today, so I'd say yes. Tho not sure who spoke poorly of Waids run. While not my personal favorite, it was well received by fans and critics alike, certainly worth checking out at the least

I've been talked out of Venom, Carnage & Daredevil by Waid omnibuses recently. I really want to get into a new ground level Marvel character. Is Daredevil by Frank Miller a good starting point?
    Yes! Daredevil is excellent. I recommend the Miller, then Bendis, then Brubaker runs over Waids run, but I enjoyed it as well.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

They said the tone was much too happy and doesnt reflect the character before or after his run, so I wouldn't be getting the right impression.
    Daredevil is one of those character where his tone can vary and it not be contradictory. In some ways like Batman before DC made it editorial fiat post DKR that he always be sullen and moody.

Lee/Ditko Daredevil is just as right as Miller's version and neither make Waid's a disconnect. Saying Waid's DD is 'happy' is not the same as saying it's campy or silly.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Need a friendly hand, hoping maybe you fine folks can help?

A few years ago I was looking for some Dr.Strange material to read, but found next to nothing. I must have slept behind the wheel, because at my LCS today, they had quite a few trades in stock! I suppose it shouldn't shock me because of the film that was released. So my actual question is, where do I go? Give me some "go to" material. The cream de la cream if you will, or just some really solid recs. I would love to expand my Strange catalogue. Thanks gang.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I ordered the Miller Omnibus and if I end up loving the character, then I'll work my way through Bendis and Brubaker and eventually Waid. I actually like happy/lighter character arcs personally.
    Once you finish the Daredevil Miller Omnibus and IF you like it, I recommend you pick up the Daredevil Miller Companion Omnibus as the immediate followup. This includes, amongst others, what is regarded as the best ever Daredevil story "Born Again" by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli. I can confirm it's quite excellent. Also included is "Man Without Fear" by Miller and John Romita Jr. - another very good story and is deemed by quite a few as the official origin story. Btw, Miller's work on DD is my absolute favourite Daredevil run.

If you're into buying Epic Collections and wanting to delve deeper into Daredevil, "Widow's Kiss" (DD #365-380, DD/Deapool Annual) is also pretty good mainly written by Joe Kelly and drawn by Cary Nord, Gene Colan & Ariel Olivetti. Following that, try and get hold of the Kevin Smith/Joe Quesada run and afterwards Bendis and Brubaker.

I would actually also recommend Waid's run as it's pretty well written. I think what makes it "happy" for some is the art and not the stories. It took me quite a while to get used to the art but the stories do run deep and heavy issues are covered. I'm not a fan of Chris Samnee myself and I don't like how he draws faces but with Waid he's a good storyteller. I disagree that Waid's stint on DD didin't reflect his character. I've basically read all of what has been written of Daredevil (with the exception of Charles Soule's run) and Waid does a pretty good job. Yes, there are some things I'm not totally happy with but for the most part it's good. At the start of the run, Matt is trying to be happier because he's come out of a dark place (the whole Shadowland event and Reborn) but he then goes on to tackle some pretty tough stuff, personal and physical, making some very difficult choices along the way. One of my favourite stories is the Original Sin "crossover" from Daredevil #6-7 (Vol. 4) where Waid delves into Matt's childhood and his parents - very very good.

Also, if you do decide to collect more of Daredevil and don't mind Silver Age stuff, the Daredevil Silver Age Vol. 1 Omnibus is very good, corny at times but enjoyable.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post

A few years ago I was looking for some Dr.Strange material to read, but found next to nothing. I must have slept behind the wheel, because at my LCS today, they had quite a few trades in stock! I suppose it shouldn't shock me because of the film that was released. So my actual question is, where do I go? Give me some "go to" material. The cream de la cream if you will, or just some really solid recs. I would love to expand my Strange catalogue. Thanks gang.
    I'm not on an expert on Doctor Strange, but from what little I've read and heard from quite a few Strange fans is that if you want to go in from the ground up, go with the original Lee/Ditko run. You can pick up the Doctor Strange Silver Age Vol. 1 Omnibus. Some of the Steve Ditko art is quite amazing with some pretty dramatic Stan Lee dialogue. You also get the introduction of his greatest foe "Dormammu", Strange's origin and one of the most well-known stories "The Eternity Saga". I've also heard that the mini-series "The Oath" by Brain Vaughn and Marcos Martin is very good, and also of note is that the movie was partly based on it.

I personally find Strange to be one of the cheesiest characters in comics although I did enjoy the movie. That said, BKV did a great mini called The Oath. I also read some of Aaron's run, which wasn't bad but I never saw it through.

Incredible Member

I love Doctor Strange although I haven't read a lot. I have the Ditko Omnibus. It is amongst my favourite Silver Age material and it feels like a complete story. I put it up there with Thor & Spiderman as my favourite silver age marvel material that I have read.
    I also have Masterworks 7/8 and Epic 3. I am reading through epic 3 which I am enjoying. The early Colan art is awesome. I wish he had done a longer run on the character. He fits so well in the 60's/70's. I haven't read anything modern for him.

Spectacular Member iPodwithnomusic's Avatar

I just recently found myself in a similar position. I just read Dr. Strange: The Oath, and loved it! I would highly recommend it. I thought Jason Aaron's run was okay, it had some nice moments but I wouldn't recommend it. However, the run that followed it by Donny Cates was really good, I would also recommend you check that out. If you're interested in a team book, I'd suggested New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman. It's a really awesome story focused on the Illuminati (Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Black Panther, etc.).

Spectacular Member iPodwithnomusic's Avatar

I would definitely recommend Daredevil by Frank Miller to start. I bought that omni but not the companion, because even though Born Again is really good, I thought there was too much filler and other stuff I didn't really enjoy to make it worthwhile. After the Frank Miller omni I would suggest the Bendis and Brubaker runs like many others have suggested. I also did not buy the Waid run, I have Daredevil by Frank Miller, by Ed Brubaker 1 and 2, and Shadowland omnis, and will definitely buy Bendis' if there are ever reprints.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I'm a huge fan of the 80's/90's Sorcerer Supreme series, and there's an omnibus available of the first 40 issues that can be found discounted just about everywhere. If you don't want to commit to such a big book, there are 2 Epic Collections available - "A Separate Reality" and "Afterlife" - that are also great (although the latter might be a bit confusing if it's the first thing your reading).

Beyond that, Vaughn's "The Oath" is a good starting point, as is "What Is It That Disturbs You Stephen?" by P. Craig Russell. Both smaller trades, easily found online.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES