Page 811 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 3117117618018078088098108118128138148158218619111311 ... LastLast
Results 12,151 to 12,165 of 20773

Thanks for the recs gang! Hickman's New Avengers series was excellent, loved Strange in that! I'm all for Omni's actually, it's the price rather than the size/content of the book. Was also noticing they have the Lee/Ditko Omni up as well. Might have to check out both Omnis! I'll make note of all of these, really appreciate it guys.

On the note of Donnie Cates, I've been hearing nothing but good things about him. Was mildly interested in Thanos by Lemire, but I never followed through. Then I heard Cates (a "nobody" for me at the time) took over, and did some crazy story telling. Silver Surfer with Mjolnir?! A Cosmic Ghost Rider?! I was beyond fascinated. Now I'm seeing his easy to dive into Venom run which just came out with an interesting ending, and I saw he wrote some Doctor Strange. This guy is definitely on my watch list. Love Marvel cosmos stuff, just finished Annihilation and seeking Conquest out. I'm curious to see what Cates will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Need a friendly hand, hoping maybe you fine folks can help?

A few years ago I was looking for some Dr.Strange material to read, but found next to nothing. I must have slept behind the wheel, because at my LCS today, they had quite a few trades in stock! I suppose it shouldn't shock me because of the film that was released. So my actual question is, where do I go? Give me some "go to" material. The cream de la cream if you will, or just some really solid recs. I would love to expand my Strange catalogue. Thanks gang.
    If you want the best Doctor Strange story, you must read Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom Triumph and Torment by Roger Stern and Mike Mignola it's just an amazing book. It's the story that made Strange and Doom two of my favourite Marvel characters, and wait until you see the art by Mignola, it's just outstanding
    Last edited by Hush; 05-10-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Thank you for the recommendations Raffi. If you wouldn't mind, is there a "best" jumping in point with Spider-Man in terms of HC collections? I wanted to get Ultimate Spider-Man but I don't thing Omni 2 is happening.
    I would heartily recommend the three Silver Age Omnibuses. They can be quite wordy, in particular the first two, but the stories are very enjoyable and some have called the Vol. 1 Omnibus the Spider-Man bible as it introduces you to all that is relevant in Spidey’s life. Get them before they go OOP, although I reckon they will keep reprinting them. The art is also top notch. I'm not big on Steve Ditko, but one can say that his work on Spider-Man and Dr Strange defined those characters. John Romita's work is also pretty amazing.

I would also recommend the Spider-man by Roger Stern Omnibus. Excellent stuff, some of the best Spidey stories around. These were the comics I was buying as a kid along with Miller's Daredevil, amongst others.

I doubt we'll ever see a Vol. 2 Omnibus of USM. I ended up getting the remaining issues in the OHCs. I would say IMHO it's better to first obtain and read the original Spidey 616 before USM. If you really want the USM run, try and track down the OHCs and the "first" and "last" Omnibus.

Spectacular Member iPodwithnomusic's Avatar

I was checking out Spider-Man omni's after Raffi's recommendations and I ran across a omni set called War of Kings, which seems my speed. Very cosmic, like Green Lantern.

Is War of Kings a fun run? Is there an omni at risk of going oop that I should buy first? Thanks.
    War of Kings is one of my favourite events, I just read it for the first time recently and I immediately purchased the omni. I also bought the Prelude to War of Kings omni, which I would highly recommend reading before the main omni. Going even further back, it is nice if you could read the Annihilation omni and Annihilation: Conquest omni first (before the Prelude omni), but they are not totally necessary and both seem to be out of print.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Thanks for the recs gang! Hickman's New Avengers series was excellent, loved Strange in that! I'm all for Omni's actually, it's the price rather than the size/content of the book. Was also noticing they have the Lee/Ditko Omni up as well. Might have to check out both Omnis! I'll make note of all of these, really appreciate it guys.

On the note of Donnie Cates, I've been hearing nothing but good things about him. Was mildly interested in Thanos by Lemire, but I never followed through. Then I heard Cates (a "nobody" for me at the time) took over, and did some crazy story telling. Silver Surfer with Mjolnir?! A Cosmic Ghost Rider?! I was beyond fascinated. Now I'm seeing his easy to dive into Venom run which just came out with an interesting ending, and I saw he wrote some Doctor Strange. This guy is definitely on my watch list. Love Marvel cosmos stuff, just finished Annihilation and seeking Conquest out. I'm curious to see what Cates will do.
    If I remember correctly you like older books too so I would definitely recommend the Lee/Ditko omnibus. The first couple of stories are short EC style adventures but then it gets into the long epic and it gets really good. I'm not really a Silver age reader, gave up on ASM and FF (vol 2) after a couple of issues but highly enjoyed Strange.
    I really should read the Separate reality epic I have.

Quote Originally Posted by iPodwithnomusic View Post
    War of Kings is one of my favourite events, I just read it for the first time recently and I immediately purchased the omni. I also bought the Prelude to War of Kings omni, which I would highly recommend reading before the main omni. Going even further back, it is nice if you could read the Annihilation omni and Annihilation: Conquest omni first (before the Prelude omni), but they are not totally necessary and both seem to be out of print.
    RE; Annihilation and Conquest - they are releasing thick trades of this material now. Annihiliation books 1+2 TPBs should be out now (vol2 may be next week, not sure) and I would guess they'll keep going that route for the cosmic stuff as well with Conquest, WOK, etc... Granted all of this is in omnibus format, but like mentioned above, The original Annihilation omni has been OOP for a long time and pretty pricey. I believe Conquest is now OOP as well, and the WOK ones are either OOP or heading that direction soon.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by iPodwithnomusic View Post
    Completely agree here, I would recommend reading Prelude first. It will seem like an odd mix of stories at first but all the threads converge in WoKs.
    It was definitely one of my favourite crossovers too - it has something for everyone and turned me into a Cosmic Marvel fan

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    If I remember correctly you like older books too so I would definitely recommend the Lee/Ditko omnibus. The first couple of stories are short EC style adventures but then it gets into the long epic and it gets really good. I'm not really a Silver age reader, gave up on ASM and FF (vol 2) after a couple of issues but highly enjoyed Strange.
    I really should read the Separate reality epic I have.
    Thanks! Separate Reality definitely seems to be down my interests!

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Mighty Member

So would it be best to pick up War of Kings omnibuses 1-3 and wait for a Conquest reprint before reading the whole series?
    Honestly there are already so many different plot threads (inhumans, shi'ar, x-men etc) in WoK outside of Annihilation and AC you can be fine just jumping into that. Annihilation and A:Conquest are pretty self contained for the most part, and the WoK prequel does well setting the stage for the rest of DnA's cosmic run

I’m about half way thru the Carnage omnibus and .... it’s the dregs.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I’m about half way thru the Carnage omnibus and .... it’s the dregs.
    Damn it. Well, skip ahead and lmk if the Conway stuff is any good before i bother opening mine