Page 818 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 3187187688088148158168178188198208218228288689181318 ... LastLast
Results 12,256 to 12,270 of 20773
    Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Are people hot on Claremonts X-Men omnibuses, vol 1/2?
    They're the only two X-Men omnibuses I own. Having originally read these as a kid, and recently re-reading them as an adult, it's clear the best stories are the ones Byrne drew and co-plotted.

I don't think you'll regret getting either of them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    They're the only two X-Men omnibuses I own. Having originally read these as a kid, and recently re-reading them as an adult, it's clear the best stories are the ones Byrne drew and co-plotted.

Damn. In my entire time as a comic fan, I've seen the run as 'golden'/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by benkerino View Post
    What should I read after the Realm of Kings Omnibus if I want to continue to follow the characters? Do I go straight to Bendis' Guardians run? Or maybe Hickman's FF for some Inhuman stuff? Could really use some help
    For Cosmic stuff better go for Hickman's FF and Al Ewing's Ultimates. Bendis' GoTG is meh to me. It just meanders and did not go anywhere interesting.

Mighty Member

Damn. In my entire time as a comic fan, I've seen the run as 'golden'/
    Eh, one's trash is another's treasure. It's pretty widely accepted early-mid claremont is peak quality, but those Lee/Claremont books were peak "popularity", with the early 90's sales boom and the cartoon etc expanding the fan base. It was arguably the most memerorable period for a lot of us, and from a nostalgia pov they are indeed "golden". I would like to get a reprint off these at some point, maybe after they finish filling the gaps to MM.

edit: just realized you may have meant the early claremont v1-2. Points still stand
    Last edited by awayne83; 05-21-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post

I think DebkoX meant the Jim Lee-Claremont X-men omnibuses and you were thinking of the UXM omnibuses.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by iPodwithnomusic View Post
    I would definitely recommend checking out Hickman's FF, then probably his Avengers & New Avengers run as well. Bendis' GOTG is good too, it follows up on Thanos Imperative. If you're going to read Bendis' GOTG consider reading his Avengers Assemble #1-8, it sets up his Guardians run. I'd also suggest Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuiness' Nova, it isn't really related to Richard Rider but it is still a nice read.
    Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post
    For Cosmic stuff better go for Hickman's FF and Al Ewing's Ultimates. Bendis' GoTG is meh to me. It just meanders and did not go anywhere interesting.
    Thanks a lot!

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think DebkoX meant the Jim Lee-Claremont X-men omnibuses and you were thinking of the UXM omnibuses.
    Yeah, I was thinking he was asking about Uncanny X-Men. Sorry...but check it out if you haven't!

Extraordinary Member

Thanks regardless folks! I did mean Uncanny. My dumb error aha.

Really tempted to go for it.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iPodwithnomusic View Post
    I would definitely recommend checking out Hickman's FF, then probably his Avengers & New Avengers run as well. Bendis' GOTG is good too, it follows up on Thanos Imperative. If you're going to read Bendis' GOTG consider reading his Avengers Assemble #1-8, it sets up his Guardians run. I'd also suggest Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuiness' Nova, it isn't really related to Richard Rider but it is still a nice read.
    Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post
    I disliked Bendis' GotG. Bendis himself admitted that he read no GotG material beforehand and did no research.

I enjoyed Nova by Loeb, Wells and Duggan. Very enjoyable with some good art.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Quick question about X-Men. Is there a definitive in-print X omnibus or Wolverine omnibus? I was eying Age of Apocalypse because I love the art, but it's a flipped roles story.

Is Weapon X worth a look? I want to get into the series with the "Dark Knight Returns" or "The Man Without Fear" of the X-Men so to speak.

Most people would say Claremont's Uncanny X-men is the definitive run and in a lot of ways it is, especially the Byrne part of it. I think it's a great run but it has some clunker issues and you really have to look at it as a late 70s/80s series because it reads like one. But if you dig that style then it's one of the best bronze age Marvel series (and that's not just my opinion, although it's not my all time favourite from that era).
    Or if you just want the best of the best then the Dark Phoenix Saga is the one you want to read. That one is split between vol1 and vol2 of the omnibuses but it had an ohc which I believe is oop now.

For more modern stuff I think the only current in print X omnibus is Morrison's New X-men I would consider a definitive run. While I love that series I think Whedon's Astonishing (which is basically the follow up run to Morrison's but with a back to basics approach) is a more cohesive one (due to a steady writer-artist team, while Morrison had some questionable artists on his run). Sadly the AXM omnibus is oop but you should be able to track down the 2 ohcs for reasonable prices or the 2 chunky trades.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 1 was my very first Omnibus. What a great read. It can be a little wordy and a little dated for "modern" readers but I found it very enjoyable especially the issues with Byrne's art. I'm not a big X-Men fan but this is one of my favourite Omnibuses.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I disliked Bendis' GotG. Bendis himself admitted that he read no GotG material beforehand and did no research.

I enjoyed Nova by Loeb, Wells and Duggan. Very enjoyable with some good art.
    Very surprised about Bendis, you' dthink he would have read it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 1 was my very first Omnibus. What a great read. It can be a little wordy and a little dated for "modern" readers but I found it very enjoyable especially the issues with Byrne's art. I'm not a big X-Men fan but this is one of my favourite Omnibuses.
    If it helps, I have read Dark Phoenix Saga at least four times over. I love it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Most people would say Claremont's Uncanny X-men is the definitive run and in a lot of ways it is, especially the Byrne part of it. I think it's a great run but it has some clunker issues and you really have to look at it as a late 70s/80s series because it reads like one. But if you dig that style then it's one of the best bronze age Marvel series (and that's not just my opinion, although it's not my all time favourite from that era).
    Or if you just want the best of the best then the Dark Phoenix Saga is the one you want to read. That one is split between vol1 and vol2 of the omnibuses but it had an ohc which I believe is oop now.

For more modern stuff I think the only current in print X omnibus is Morrison's New X-men I would consider a definitive run. While I love that series I think Whedon's Astonishing (which is basically the follow up run to Morrison's but with a back to basics approach) is a more cohesive one (due to a steady writer-artist team, while Morrison had some questionable artists on his run). Sadly the AXM omnibus is oop but you should be able to track down the 2 ohcs for reasonable prices or the 2 chunky trades.
    Fairs. I don't mind some of the earlier stories. I have read dark phoenix. I love it. One of my favourites. I'm trying to 'ease' away from moderns as I feel I should appreciat ethe classics. I loved siMONSons THor.