Page 822 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 3227227728128188198208218228238248258268328729221322 ... LastLast
Results 12,316 to 12,330 of 20773
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    ok this is probably an unpopular opinion but here it goes:
    I've picked up the epic collection when it came out and was so excited to finally read this fan favourite run so as soon as it arrived I've cracked it open and.... my enthusiasm died within like 3 issues.
    Garney's art came off as amateurish and while I can see what Waid was doing, making Cap vulnerable and then gradually bring him back to his original form, he just came off as pathetic and useless. Like in Fear Itself when he is firing a machine gun and shouting some inspirational lines at particularly no one (well at least that's the image I have in my head, it's been a while since I've read FI).
    I think Brubaker managed to deconstruct Cap so much better. And I've read other takes on Cap too, I liked what Johns did in his short Avengers run, I liked Stern's run and I've even enjoyed McKenzie's stuff (or at least the few issues I've read) although I know it's not considered to be the best. Haven't read Gruenwald yet I was just mentioning the other writers to put my opinion into perspective.
    So I've ended up not even finishing the book and just gave it to a friend along with the first Priest Black Panther complete coll. or maybe sold it along with WWHulk and Planet Hulk and Miracle man vol 1(that was a particularly bad month of Marvel stuff I've read).
    But I know a lot of people love this run although, not to disregard their opinion, but it might be for the same reason some people love Busiek's Avengers, because after a really bad "90s garbage" period they've brought the title back to their roots.
    Hmm. The consenus I seem to be getting is that it is mixed and polarising.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Fixed that for you

I haven't read the material, but I picked up the Omnibus and it's a beautiful book. Colouring definitely 90s but it all looks great in oversized format. If you're a CA fan, I'd recommend it.
    Massive America fan, but I am shaped by Brubaker's run that I sadly cannot find.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Thanks for letting me know. So if I order book 3 today, it would be my best bet to grab vol. 2 in the next few weeks.

One other question, there are other Claremont X-Men omnibuses, that are set after vol. 3. Like Massacre & Revolution. Can I skip these or do they fill in gaps?
    For the full Claremont's first run you need:
    Uncanny Omnibus vol.1-3
    GAP - Uncanny X-Men vol.4 Omnibus
    X-Men: Asgardian Wars OHC (will be reprinted in with the gap materials eventually)
    GAP - Untitled Prelude run to MM
    Mutant Massacre Omnibus (out later this year)
    Fall of the Mutants OHC
    Inferno Prologue OHC
    Inferno OHC
    X-Men by Claremont and Lee vol.1
    Days of Future Past OHC
    X-Tinction Agenda OHC
    X-Men by Claremont and Lee vol.2

And agree, use Krisis' site for guidance, it's great!

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I really liked just about everything but the Wolverine run in the first Marvel Universe by Byrne Omnibus, but I'm not buying the second just for Iron Fist. Pass.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Massive America fan, but I am shaped by Brubaker's run that I sadly cannot find.
    I'm waiting on silver age vol 1 Captain America. Looking forward to getting to that. I also have the waid Omni which I have not read yet.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    I really liked just about everything but the Wolverine run in the first Marvel Universe by Byrne Omnibus, but I'm not buying the second just for Iron Fist. Pass.
    And it doesn't have Marvel Premiere #15-24, the first appearances of Iron Fist because Byrne didn't have anything to do with them. A real jumbled mess of issues. Strictly for Byrne fanboys.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
    For the full Claremont's first run you need:
    Uncanny Omnibus vol.1-3
    GAP - Uncanny X-Men vol.4 Omnibus
    X-Men: Asgardian Wars OHC (will be reprinted in with the gap materials eventually)
    GAP - Untitled Prelude run to MM
    Mutant Massacre Omnibus (out later this year)
    Fall of the Mutants OHC
    Inferno Prologue OHC
    Inferno OHC
    X-Men by Claremont and Lee vol.1
    Days of Future Past OHC
    X-Tinction Agenda OHC
    X-Men by Claremont and Lee vol.2

And agree, use Krisis' site for guidance, it's great!
    If you wanted to include Masterworks, X-Men MMW volume 10 picks up after Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol 3.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    If you wanted to include Masterworks, X-Men MMW volume 10 picks up after Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol 3.
    True, ALSO X-Men Classic Omnibus between Uncanny vol.1 and 2

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
    True, ALSO X-Men Classic Omnibus between Uncanny vol.1 and 2
    It's pretty great to be an X-Men Claremont fan. There is SO much stuff compared to other artists/writers on classic runs. You have single volumes for something like Stern Spiderman or Simonson Thor.

Extraordinary Member

Shoutout to Raffi for his superb packaging of the Infinity Gauntlet and swift delivery!

Spectacular Member

The Waid Omni has some traits that one could describe as a more 'modern' take on Cap that leads away from years of pretty forgettable stories (as I have come to understand) towards stories with longer lasting effects (deconstruction of the dated Cap image, etc.)

I read the Omni some weeks ago and I loved the first part the most before the break with Onslaught in between (Operation Rebirth, Man without Country). Some storylines after felt weaker (Nightmare especially), but it gives you also some espionage action with Agent Carter.

As a huge 90s fan the art is a big hit for me and the Omni is a work of beauty.

That all being said, I would recommend it but do not expect that all the arcs will be as good as the first ones.

In terms of Brubaker's Cap : I got lucky and could score the 5 books set 2 years ago I think and I still cannot believe that this run (especially the first half) is still hard to find.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Shoutout to Raffi for his superb packaging of the Infinity Gauntlet and swift delivery!
    You're very welcome DebkoX

I'm surprised a Priority Post Office parcel only took 2 days to get to the UK from Poland.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    MARVEL UNIVERSE BY FRANK MILLER OMNIBUS Cover by FRANK MILLER:
    I loved this cover as a kid. I had a centerfold poster of it.

Extraordinary Member

Ok I need to know this.

Why is there only one Bendis NEW Avengers omnibus? This will be my final summer buy, but there is only one volume?

Spectacular Member

Ok I need to know this.

Why is there only one Bendis NEW Avengers omnibus? This will be my final summer buy, but there is only one volume?
    Your guess is as good as ours? But you are in luck, as we will see the Secret Invasion Omnibus. This volume could be described as NA by Bendis Vol. 2 (kind of).

Personally, I think that ship has sailed to see a Vol. 2 to complete the run but many people prefer the quality of the OHCs anyways. I am sorry but I do not follow availibility questions a lot so I have no idea if it is still easy to get the Volumes. The Siege OHC might also help in terms of getting bigger chunks together, but I think this one is heavily OOP.

And last purchase for the summer: man, Summer has not even started, yet. It is an addiction ....