Page 845 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 3457457958358418428438448458468478488498558959451345 ... LastLast
Results 12,661 to 12,675 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Came out publicly today. You realize companies have internal tracking methods that give them data before we know it, yes?
    When I worked for Caterpillar we did. I suspect Marvel would as well.
    Dude, the book came out THREE WEEKS AGO. Even that June sales chart is only *one week* of sales, not a whole month.

A lot of animosity in here lately. Let's all play nice.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    They've cut down costs on the hardcover and the paper and probably in other areas we're unaware of.
    I'd put glue in that list as well

I am glad that Marvel is making the obscure titles in omni. But the sheer number of omnis they are pumping out must also be affecting the overall sales numbers. A lot of these smaller titles would be put in the 'waiting list' for a lot of buyers to prioritize the in-demand ones.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post
    I'd put glue in that list as well

I am glad that Marvel is making the obscure titles in omni. But the sheer number of omnis they are pumping out must also be affecting the overall sales numbers. A lot of these smaller titles would be put in the 'waiting list' for a lot of buyers to prioritize the in-demand ones.
    Not disagreeing, but that would prioritise reprints, which would take slots that more obscure runs could fill. As someone who has been collecting a long time and buys at release, I don't want to see reprints eating up release slots because some people missed the earlier releases.
    Just a consideration.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
    Not disagreeing, but that would prioritise reprints, which would take slots that more obscure runs could fill. As someone who has been collecting a long time and buys at release, I don't want to see reprints eating up release slots because some people missed the earlier releases.
    Just a consideration.
    That one made me think. I will probably come to the same point of view once I have the reprints/copies of my last 4 whales on my shelves (2 being the Bendis DD Omnis and 1 being the Brubaker IF Omni: all of them have a good chance of getting the reprint treatment while the shows are running; the other one is the Captain Britain Omni and that would be a major surprise).

On the other hand I feel very similar when it comes to reprints of books that I bought at release OR dropped some money on them. I would bet that newer collectors would highly disagree, but also I do not like it I almost would agree with you (given 3 more reprints happening of course .

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    That one made me think. I will probably come to the same point of view once I have the reprints/copies of my last 4 whales on my shelves (2 being the Bendis DD Omnis and 1 being the Brubaker IF Omni: all of them have a good chance of getting the reprint treatment while the shows are running; the other one is the Captain Britain Omni and that would be a major surprise).

On the other hand I feel very similar when it comes to reprints of books that I bought at release OR dropped some money on them. I would bet that newer collectors would highly disagree, but also I do not like it I almost would agree with you (given 3 more reprints happening of course .
    HA! We have the same whales and I will absolutely take advantage if these were reprinted, but I still wouldn't want at the cost of a new collection slot.

You are right, it does come down to the perspective of a new vs old collectors unfortunately.

Spectacular Member Master Destructo's Avatar

Just so we’re on the same page here. The recently released sales figures are just an analyst’s estimation of how many books North American Direct Market retailers purchased (preordered) from Diamond. Each month Diamond releases a list of book-rankings--how books sold relative to each other (i.e. not actual sales numbers). They do this after the books have shipped out to the retailers. Then Comicron/ICV2 do their best to decode Diamond’s ranked list into sales numbers.

So for instance, the 868 Venomnibus figure doesn’t mean that “we the readers” purchased that many books from IST, LCS’s, etc. It means that an estimated 868 books were shipped from Diamond to Direct Market retailers. Many of the 868 might still be on retailer shelves and in warehouses. Who knows? No one collectively keeps track of all the individual retailer inventory. So even though we are now only seeing the estimated June sales charts, Diamond knew the number of retailer preorders around 6 months ago, and similarly Marvel knew how many books that Diamond (and other international and non-Direct Market distributors) were ordering before the book even went to print. The 868 figure is the number that we see, and it is illustrative (in a very general sense) of how many books Diamond ordered from Marvel. And it’s an estimation of a much more accurate number that Marvel knew months ago, even before Vol. 1 went to press. So when Captain Craig theorized that Marvel went forward with a Venomnibus vol. 2 based on the sales figures of vol. 1, it’s a completely valid idea.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 07-19-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Spectacular Member

I wouldn't bother wasting any more time explaining, you're making plenty of sense to anyone with a brain cell.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master Destructo View Post
    Just so we’re on the same page here. The recently released sales figures are just an analyst’s estimation of how many books North American Direct Market retailers purchased (preordered) from Diamond. Each month Diamond releases a list of book-rankings--how books sold relative to each other (i.e. not actual sales numbers). They do this after the books have shipped out to the retailers. Then Comicron/ICV2 do their best to decode Diamond’s ranked list into sales numbers.

So for instance, the 868 Venomnibus figure doesn’t mean that “we the readers” purchased that many books from IST, LCS’s, etc. It means that an estimated 868 books were shipped from Diamond to Direct Market retailers. Many of the 868 might still be on retailer shelves and in warehouses. Who knows? No one collectively keeps track of all the individual retailer inventory. So even though we are now only seeing the estimated June sales charts, Diamond knew the number of retailer preorders around 6 months ago, and similarly Marvel knew how many books that Diamond (and other international and non-Direct Market distributors) were ordering before the book even went to print. The 868 figure is the number that we see, and it is illustrative (in a very general sense) of how many books Diamond ordered from Marvel. And it’s an estimation of a much more accurate number that Marvel knew months ago, even before Vol. 1 went to press. So when Captain Craig theorized that Marvel went forward with a Venomnibus vol. 2 based on the sales figures of vol. 1, it’s a completely valid idea.
    Just checking back on the thread. Thank you for laying the logistics of that out like you did. It didn't occur to me that a member would get a bit 'hot' about my comment.
    Companies know how their product is selling before it actually sells. They can then make decisions well in advance.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 07-18-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member Master Destructo's Avatar

To be honest, it's just an excuse for me to ramble on about a topic I'm interested in. I don't blame anyone for being confused or bored by the intricacies of the Direct Market. It's mostly unimportant nonsense that shouldn't affect our enjoyment of the medium. Carry on!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master Destructo View Post

This must be the only industry with such a non-sensical system in place....

Not to say that I don't find it interesting, I do, but I can't believe other publishers (not comics) use such guesswork to determine sales.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Amazing Member

Got an extra 70$ set aside for books today and trying to figure whether I want to get Planet Hulk Omnibus or the 3 Miracleman hardcovers. I had never heard of Miracleman til yesterday and found out that it was an Alan Moore book! Anyway hope both aren't close to going out of print (I've been worried about marvel books going OOP since Avengers Hickman omni 1 . )

So is Miracleman pretty great stuff like most of Alan Moore's work (read Swampy and Killing Joke). Don't even know who the writer for Planet Hulk is, but Hulk in space just sounds amazingly awesome and I do love the omnibus format.

Also how are the Miracleman hardcovers? Do they have thin paper stock and glued binding or sewn binding?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post
    Got an extra 70$ set aside for books today and trying to figure whether I want to get Planet Hulk Omnibus or the 3 Miracleman hardcovers. I had never heard of Miracleman til yesterday and found out that it was an Alan Moore book! Anyway hope both aren't close to going out of print (I've been worried about marvel books going OOP since Avengers Hickman omni 1 . )

So is Miracleman pretty great stuff like most of Alan Moore's work (read Swampy and Killing Joke). Don't even know who the writer for Planet Hulk is, but Hulk in space just sounds amazingly awesome and I do love the omnibus format.

Also how are the Miracleman hardcovers? Do they have thin paper stock and glued binding or sewn binding?
    I can't comment too much on Miracleman as I've only read part of it. The hardcovers are not oversized but regular size snd I don’t believe they are the best in quality. They can be readily picked up for cheap on the amazon marketplace. Planet Hulk is a very enjoyable read and is generally rated pretty highly. Thor Ragnarok the movie was partly based on it, hence the release of the Omnibus. I reckon the PH Omnibus would be the first to go OOP. It's also possible Miracleman will be released in OHC and Omnibus fornat down the road.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I can't comment too much on Miracleman as I've only read part of it. The hardcovers are not oversized but regular size snd I don’t believe they are the best in quality. They can be readily picked up for cheap on the amazon marketplace. Planet Hulk is a very enjoyable read and is generally rated pretty highly. Thor Ragnarok the movie was partly based on it, hence the release of the Omnibus. I reckon the PH Omnibus would be the first to go OOP. It's also possible Miracleman will be released in OHC and Omnibus fornat down the road.
    Sweet thanks, gonna put Planet Hulk in the cart instead. Gonna think over it a bit tonight before I do it haha