Page 864 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 3647648148548608618628638648658668678688749149641364 ... LastLast
Results 12,946 to 12,960 of 20769

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    There's the Michelinie and Larsen omni which immediately continues the Michelinie and McFarlane. Also the two Alien Costume Saga Complete Collections that follow the Stern omni, which I've been waiting on an omni of this forever. They will make an omni of this, won't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    The Alien Costume Saga is great,the stories from Amazing Spider-Man were writen by Tom De Falco.The stories are a must read IMO.
    The Roger Stern stories in Amazing Spider-Man were to me the best the stories became again after the quality they had while Stan Lee was writing them,but the Tom De Falco stories in ASM right after the Roger Stern run in ASM is a essential read as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by iPodwithnomusic View Post
    Other than the opening arc I didn't really enjoy the volume 1 issues at all. I'm on the fence about the volume 2, it has New Ways to Die which was amazing, but the rest is pretty average.
    Thank you all! I will definitely check out the Alien Costume Saga and Brand New Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Speaking of Spider-Man, I am doing a read through of my collection...

Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus 1-3
    Amazing Spider-Man Epics: The Goblin's Last Stand & Kraven's Last Hunt
    Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus
    Amazing Spider-Man by Michelinie & McFarlane Omnibus
    Spider-Man Big Time Complete Collections
    Superior Spider-Man OHC 1-3

Obviously there are some huge gaps in my collection and was looking to potentially fill some of those in. Anyone have any recommendations on other Spider-Man collections? Preferably Omnibus, OHC, Epic, or Complete Collection formats.

I keep going back and forth on the Clone Saga Ominbus' but I have heard nothing but negativity toward the stories.
    The J. Michael Straczynski run is very good, with the exceptions (to me) of Sins Past, The Other and One More Day. The rest is pretty enjoyable at worst and straight-up classic at its best. The chunky "complete collection" trades might be harder to find but I often see the old, slimmer paperbacks on sale or on eBay for pretty cheap prices.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ87 View Post
    The J. Michael Straczynski run is very good, with the exceptions (to me) of Sins Past, The Other and One More Day. The rest is pretty enjoyable at worst and straight-up classic at its best. The chunky "complete collection" trades might be harder to find but I often see the old, slimmer paperbacks on sale or on eBay for pretty cheap prices.
    Both of which are arguably the worst retcon/status quo restore in comic book history. They really, really tarnish an otherwise great run.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Did anyone else pick up the recent Daredevil - Root of Evil Epic Collection?

My copy arrived over a week ago from DCBS, but I just got around to opening the box last night. I was appalled by how thin it was before even removing the plastic wrap. Then I realized that was because of the ridiculously thin tissue paper it's printed on. I'm also assuming they've skimped on the cover stock as well, considering they're both curling already. I have 4 or 5 other Epic Collections pre-ordered, as they're currently my favorite line of reprints, but if this is the "standard" going forward, I'll probably be canceling them...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Did anyone else pick up the recent Daredevil - Root of Evil Epic Collection?

My copy arrived over a week ago from DCBS, but I just got around to opening the box last night. I was appalled by how thin it was before even removing the plastic wrap. Then I realized that was because of the ridiculously thin tissue paper it's printed on. I'm also assuming they've skimped on the cover stock as well, considering they're both curling already. I have 4 or 5 other Epic Collections pre-ordered, as they're currently my favorite line of reprints, but if this is the "standard" going forward, I'll probably be canceling them...
    Disappointing. It appears they could be experimenting with paper or dealing with multiple printers. I have Captain America Hero or Hoax? which just came out in July and it seemed to have thicker than usual paper (based on how thick it is compared to other epics I had with similar page count). The paper felt the same to me though.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    Disappointing. It appears they could be experimenting with paper or dealing with multiple printers. I have Captain America Hero or Hoax? which just came out in July and it seemed to have thicker than usual paper (based on how thick it is compared to other epics I had with similar page count). The paper felt the same to me though.
    It turns out that this Epic is a bit of a dud all around. You can find more about the various complaints regarding the quality here.

My copy is on its (long) way from IST.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    It turns out that this Epic is a bit of a dud all around. You can find more about the various complaints regarding the quality here.

Thanks for the link; I had a feeling I didn't just receive a dud...

Oh well. You win some, you lose some (but with Marvel, it's mostly lose ).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Incredible Member

I guess the good news is you know what to expect when it comes. I wonder if this affected the entire run. Looks pretty thin for an epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Both of which are arguably the worst retcon/status quo restore in comic book history. They really, really tarnish an otherwise great run.
    I think Sins Past would be just a "bad" story had it gone as originally intended. But as it stands, it's indeed awful for all characters involved. I blame Quesada/editorial. At least I really like Dedoato's art, since it was before his photorealistic/(traced?) style fed me up.

Regarding One More Day, it's a status quo return that has absolutely no redeeming qualities and is on my shelf for exclusive completion purposes

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

What I found funny was how many people bitched about the condition of the book, but admitted the stories sucked.

Why were you buying the thing if you didn't like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    What I found funny was how many people bitched about the condition of the book, but admitted the stories sucked.

That's really not the point. The quality of stories is subjective, but the physical quality of the books themselves should be consistent. Especially considering its a $40 book.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post

Quite a few people on the MMW Forum are completionists and will buy all of, if not most of the MMW HCs and Epic Collection TPBs. I ordered it knowing this to be IMHO the worst period of Daredevil ever (DG Chichester and "Alan Smithee") as I'm a Daredevil fan and completionist.

That's really not the point. The quality of stories is subjective, but the physical quality of the books themselves should be consistent. Especially considering its a $40 book.
    Agreed.

Agree completely with this. Even more so with the entire point of the Epic Collections being a consistent collection of these books. That should extend to the quality of the book as well. You'd think if Marvel was going to use a new printing company, they'd at least make sure they can reproduce the book quality beforehand.

Extraordinary Member

My Hickman Avengers was bound in a brilliant way.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

It is the point. While I completely understand wanting a book to be made of quality, I don’t get buying a book that sucks. Were that the case, my bookshelf would be filled with shitty Spider-Man books. Beautifully bound, though.