Page 89 of 1384 FirstFirst ... 3979858687888990919293991391895891089 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 20754

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    The Hawkeye OHC vol 2 has a different spine color and font size for the title!? Goddammit Marvel!
    Saw this post and jumped out of my bed to check it out...it's not that bad. Bendis Daredevil/Frank Miller DD Omnibus is wayyy worse.
    IMG_0701.jpg

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny77 View Post
    Happy Holidays everyone. So I imagine most people buy books for themselves through the year, but did anyone purchase a book specifically as a "Christmas present to yourself"? As far as Marvel collected editions i recently picked up the new Silver Surfer Epic collection, and it looks great. Also with the IST black friday sale i picked up a Marvel Holiday Special trade that i'll read over the next week.
    Marvels: The Platinum edition
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    Saw this post and jumped out of my bed to check it out...it's not that bad. Bendis Daredevil/Frank Miller DD Omnibus is wayyy worse.
    The bolder text seems to be a Marvel-wide thing on new collections. A lot of my newer Marvel Now TPBs and the Epic Collections over the last six months or so have bolder text on the spines compared to previous books.

Mighty Member

Yeah that is what they've been using. The earlier poster made me think it was a more drastic change. The thinner font is actually vol 2, and that change seems to have been made around the time bendis' GOTG vol 1 came out. All my marvel now ohc's have had that style since. The font that is used for the volume number is also different, albeit ever so slightly.

Lmao, WOW.

So my bud went to a HPB and they told him with omnibus they are usually at the mercy of the seller and that the price of them usually depends on the seller.
    So he too 5 Omnibus to another HPB -- one closest to his house and they offered him $85.50 for all 5.
    Daredevil by Frank Miller
    Squadron Supreme
    New Warriors
    Captain America
    Avengers Vol. 1

The only two that had been ever read was the New Warriors and Daredevil books and they offered him $85 for them all lol Just reinforcing the crumbs that they offer you for an entire loaf of bread lol

Needless to say, he turned them down lol

Spectacular Member

What's the general opinion of Remender's Uncanny Avengers run? Been looking at the omnibus, and judging from the Amazon reviews I've read it seems to be a mixed bag. Would appreciate feedback from the kind folks here if possible

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan P91 View Post
    What's the general opinion of Remender's Uncanny Avengers run? Been looking at the omnibus, and judging from the Amazon reviews I've read it seems to be a mixed bag. Would appreciate feedback from the kind folks here if possible

It's awful. And Axis is even worse.

Mighty Member

The run basically has two plot lines. The one that involves red skull and leads into axis isn't very good imo. However, I enjoyed the other, which involves the apocalypse twins, and is somewhat of a continuation of his uncanny x force run. Fortunately this plot is the majority of the omnibus, though the omni basically ends right before axis, which sucks if you want a complete story from that perspective. The artwork is also very good throughout as I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    IMG_0701.jpg
    The difference is very minor but to each their own, I guess. The Miller DD & Elektra omnibuses are atrocious enough that many opt to print out their own replica facsimiles of the conventional Marvel Omni dust jacket. If you resort to that because of a minor font change, then wow, OCD can be a very time consuming trait indeed.
    Last edited by banky; 12-24-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Fantastic Member

I recall generally liking the overall stories but being somewhat turned off by the writing style which went through an abrupt change after the first few issues. Remender seemed to be trying to bring back a classic Marvel style with the first few issues, very caption heavy with melodramatic prose. He decided (or maybe his editor did) that it wasn't working and he set aside the style pretty quickly. I was disappointed. I didn't find the new (actually old) style completely successful I did like that he was willing to be different. The illustration was great throughout, by some of the best artists in comics. John Casady, Daniel Acuna, Adam Kubert and more. If you are an artist aficionado who doesn't mind some ups and downs on the writing side the Omni would be a good buy if you can get a decent price. I don't think its OOP yet but you would do best to get it soon. Remender's other Marvel Omni's are through the roof.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Happy Christmas, to all observing! I've enjoyed a few weeks off the board - hopefully I haven't missed too much drama

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    I recall generally liking the overall stories but being somewhat turned off by the writing style which went through an abrupt change after the first few issues. Remender seemed to be trying to bring back a classic Marvel style with the first few issues, very caption heavy with melodramatic prose. He decided (or maybe his editor did) that it wasn't working and he set aside the style pretty quickly. I was disappointed. I didn't find the new (actually old) style completely successful I did like that he was willing to be different. The illustration was great throughout, by some of the best artists in comics. John Casady, Daniel Acuna, Adam Kubert and more. If you are an artist aficionado who doesn't mind some ups and downs on the writing side the Omni would be a good buy if you can get a decent price. I don't think its OOP yet but you would do best to get it soon. Remender's other Marvel Omni's are through the roof.
    +1 to this in its entirety. The story is very lumpy and does some time travel and alternate dimension trickery that I found to be pretty tiresome, but the stylistic choices were interesting and the art was terrific.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    The difference is very minor but to each their own, I guess. The Miller DD & Elektra omnibuses are atrocious enough that many opt to print out their own replica facsimiles of the conventional Marvel Omni dust jacket. If you resort to that because of a minor font change, then wow, OCD can be a very time consuming trait indeed.
    The Miller DD and Elektra omnibus are actually very well designed from a graphic design standpoint...the colour schemes and font are cohesive and have a Frank Miller feel to them. It's just that they don't match all the other omnibus out there.

Merry Christmas everyone

I personally loved it, though I agree that Marvel dropped the ball with the Red Skull/AXIS plot. But if you read Remender's Uncanny X-Force, I recommend you give it a try as it picks up some big story threads from that run. Also, like others have pointed out, the run had some awesome artists (the best being McNiven in Ragnarök Now IMHO).

Merry Christmas! May all your collected edition wishes come true today!