Page 93 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 43838990919293949596971031431935931093 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 20773

I was wondering if soon, especially after the TV show is getting more popular, the Bendis Daredevil Omnibus will be reprinted? I really hope it will. Anyone know something about it?

Or should I buy trade paperbacks ultimate collection?

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ddak View Post
    I was wondering if soon, especially after the TV show is getting more popular, the Bendis Daredevil Omnibus will be reprinted? I really hope it will. Anyone know something about it?

No hints of it so far. Just get the ultimate collections and upgrade if the omnis get a reprint. They won't reprint both at the same time so you'll have time to sell the paperbacks.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ddak View Post

You'd think they would, but, for whatever reason, it seems like Marvel hasn't made the excellent 2000s-era books a priority for omnibus reprints. The only one I can think of was the New X-Men omni. If I'm not mistaken, that's the most recent omnibus (content-wise I mean) to get the reprint treatment despite other long-OOP omnibus candidates from the 2000s era like Ennis Punisher, Astonishing X-Men, Iron Fist, Bru Cap, Ultimates, JMS Thor, Ghost Rider, etc. Guess the older stuff is just considered more evergreen?
    Last edited by The_Dark_Knight; 12-30-2015 at 04:56 PM.

One of their greatest eras and they seem determined to only have it out there in decent sized paperbacks. Get the Bendis complete/ultimate collections though, you won't regret it and you will want to upgrade and be glad you didn't wait for a hypothetical omnibus reprint. Win win.

I'd happily upgrade a lot of my paperbacks of those series from that time.

Quote Originally Posted by CP1234 View Post
    Johns' run is alright. It's nothing spectacular but it's certainly not bad. Austen's run, as expected, is bad, but it's only 8 (?) issues, not a huge investment if you do want to read all of v3.
    Yeah, I think Johns was just getting the engines revving, and then he took off in the middle of the night to go write every DC title.
    Oh what could have been.
    (Here's the part where the Bendis haters start chiming in . . . )

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Speaking of Bendis...was a Guardians of the Galaxy OHC vol. 2 of his run ever announced or solicited?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Speaking of Bendis...was a Guardians of the Galaxy OHC vol. 2 of his run ever announced or solicited?
    On cgn its scheduled for release next week
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    On cgn its scheduled for release next week
    NOICE. Thanks

So, looking back, I've read several Epic collections this past year and wanted to give my quick reviews. I also posted this over on the MMW MB.

Hulk: Ghost of the Past
    An absolute blast to read. I hadn't read these issues since they were originally published and they still hold up great today! This is my favorite Epic I've read so far. Granted I'm a huge Hulk and PAD fan and grew up on this material, so my enjoyment is blatant nostalgic fun! 5 stars!

Star Wars Epic: Empire vol 1
    This was the epic I read the fastest. It only took me 3 sittings to finish it and it was one of the most enjoyable TPs I've read all year. I really enjoyed seeing a more inexperienced Vader hunting down the remaining Jedi post-ROTS and still struggling with the loss of Padme. "Seconds to Die" was one of the best SW comics I've read in years. I give this book 5 stars!

Silver Surfer vol 1 When Calls Galactus & vol 3 Freedom

I enjoyed both of these but vol 3 was the best and one of my top three Epics read all year. Vol 1, due to the Surfer's guest starring role in early FF issues, is a disjointed read, but fun & interesting from a historical perspective. I'm glad to have all the early Lee/Kirby Surfer issues in one neat package. Vol 3 was great! I posted a review of it earlier this week on these boards, but basically I'd never read any of the Englehart/Rogers 1987 series' early issues before so I came to the book with no pre-conceived notions or bias and I loved it. The Elders vs. Galactus, and the Surfer with Mantis/Shalla/Nova subplots advanced the character arc nicely. Add to this the build up to the second Kree/Skrull war, and this book reminds me what Marvel Cosmic storytelling can be, when done at it's best. Plus the 1982 one-shot by Byrne was great as well. Highly recommended! 4 stars for vol 1, 5 stars for vol 3!

Moon Knight Epic: Bad Moon Rising
    I had never read any Moon Knight before so I went into this book cold. I really applaud Marvel for releasing some of the lesser known Bronze age runs in Epics (see also Iron Fist & PM&IF below). The storytelling is straight Bronze Age Marvel, and it's great. The character building for the Moon Knight cast is well done and by the end of the volume I found myself wanting to read more! So, of course, I ordered the Shadows of the Moon v2 soon after finishing this volume. The artwork is great, too. A solid 3 stars.

Iron Fist: Fury of the Iron Fist
    I can sum this one up easily: Good not great. The book picks up towards the end when Claremont & Byrne take over but the early issues by Roy Thomas come across as Marvel's hokey rip off of 1970s kung-fu movies. (Isn't that was it was anyways?). I didn't DISLIKE this book, but I definitely wasn't super crazy about it either. I'm glad I read it but it will probably go on the shelf and not be revisited for a while. 2.5 stars for me.

Power Man & Iron Fist Epic: Heroes for Hire
    Again this is sort of like the Iron Fist Epic above. I really wanted to like this book, but found it a complete slog to get thru. In fact about 2/3 of the way thru I skimmed the rest then put it back on the shelf. I remember this series from long ago and quarter bins at flea markets when I was a kid. (When I first started reading comics in 2nd grade this book had its final issue on the stands, so I never got to read it when originally published). I was excited to begin the book, especially when I saw Claremont/Byrne listed in the credits, but they were only on the book for a few issues then gone. Then the book kind of meanders around for 10-12 issues but pick up a bit when Jo Duffy starts writing, but by that point I'd lost interest and it was too much of a chore to keep plowing thru the issues. I'd give this book 1.5-2 stars.

Captain America: Society of Serpents & Streets of Poison
    Earlier this year I was on kind of a Captain America kick. I'd re-read the Brubaker run and then jumped over to the Epics not really knowing what to expect. "Society of Serpents" was a fun, breezy, read with that classic Marvel Super-Heroes vs. Super-Villains flair that I enjoy from older, less serious, comics. It's fun to go back and re-read comics from this era and enjoy them for what they are. Most modern comics take themselves too seriously or try to portray the characters ultra-realistic. But this volume seemed to exist solely to entertain the reader, and that's what I liked about it. It's not Shakespeare, but it's not Mad Magazine either. I honestly didn't expect to like the early 90s "Streets of Poison" arc, but I did! Solid storytelling by Gruenwald kept the book going, even though you could tell it was heading for the "kewl, flashy, Image-ish 90s" style that all comics from this era later emulated. To sum things up, and stop rambling, I enjoyed both of these volumes and plan to pick up more Grunewald volumes as they're released! A solid 3-4 stars each.

During the year I also bought:
    Spidey: Round Robin (skimmed it, but didn't read it ... I remember not really liking this crossover when originally published so it's in my stack of backlog reading)
    Star Wars Epic: New Republic vol 1 (started reading it and made it thru the Mara Jade issues, but it was boring compared to Empire vol 1, so I put it back on the shelf to finish later)
    Iron Man: Stark Wars (read the material a few years ago in TPs when released for the movies ... good stuff and I can't wait to revisit it sometime soon when I can get caught up on my reading backlog)
    Wolverine Dying Game (got this one with Christmas amazon gift cards ... hope to get to it soon & see how the material holds up)
    FF: Strange Days (actually wanted to start on this one right away after I received it, but too many things going on and never got to it. I have mixed memories of the content so I'm curious to see how it holds up today).

Here's a question that occurred to me while looking at the contents of the upcoming Deadpool Classic Omnibus vol 1. Unless I'm mistaken (and I very well could be), it seems this book will start where the Kelly omni left off and wrap up the remainder of the original Deadpool ongoing series? Now, it's my understanding that the next Deadpool ongoing after that was Cable and Deadpool, which has already been omni'd. After that, the next Deadpool ongoing was the Daniel Way stuff, right?

So, will Deadpool Classic Omnibus vol 2 (if indeed we ever get it) be the Daniel Way run (or at least the first half of it)?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    So, will Deadpool Classic Omnibus vol 2 (if indeed we ever get it) be the Daniel Way run (or at least the first half of it)?
    If we get something entitled Deadpool Classic Omnibus, Vol. 2, it would contain anything but Daniel Way, as the Deadpool Classic volumes (beyond the ones covered by Classic Omnibus, Vol. 1) collect all of the one-shots and mini-series that were being released while Way's series was coming out. (To note, the Kelly Omnibus covers Classic Volumes 2 to 5. The Classic Omnibus covers 6 to 10.)

So we're talking about two Way Omnis, covering Deadpool #1-63, #33.1, #49.1, Wolverine: Origins #21-25 and Thunderbolts #130-131.

Then there's the rest of the Classic material, covering Merc with a Mouth #1-13, Prelude to Deadpool Corps #1-5, Deadpool Corps #1-12, Deadpool Team-Up #899-883, Suicide Kings #1-5, Fear Itself: Deadpool #1-3 and a variety of one-shots. All of this could fit neatly into two omnis.

(The next Classic volume that we know of, Vol. 16, covers material that's already been collected in the Deadpool Minibus.)

^

Ah, got it. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    So, looking back, I've read several Epic collections this past year and wanted to give my quick reviews. I also posted this over on the MMW MB.
    Nice little overview! These epics are making it very hard to stick to my OHC only rule for Marvel.
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
    Nice little overview! These epics are making it very hard to stick to my OHC only rule for Marvel.
    Don't listen to the Iron Fist review though, that book is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
    The epics are one of my few exceptions to the OHC only rule. They are a good value and, if they execute according to plan, will finally give us a long unified run of the major titles. There are some gems in there I would not have been able to read otherwise.