Page 94 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 44849091929394959697981041441945941094 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 20773
    Spectacular Member

Are Miller's Daredevil really THAT great? Why is his DD Omnibus really worshiped? Worth the blind buy?

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Ahem, don't forget the Complete Collections. The Black Panther by Priest collections have been nothing short of amazing IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasFnatic View Post
    Are Miller's Daredevil really THAT great? Why is his DD Omnibus really worshiped? Worth the blind buy?
    In my opinion the companion omni is the must have. It includes Born Again and Man without Fear. I liked his original DD run but wasn't blown away. Just my two cents.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by sho nuff View Post
    In my opinion the companion omni is the must have. It includes Born Again and Man without Fear. I liked his original DD run but wasn't blown away. Just my two cents.
    Thanks. But I can read one without the other?

I'm on the same page with sho nuff, even more so, I actually actively disliked at least half of the original run. I've read Born again and Man without fear before the original run and had no problems.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Ahem, don't forget the Complete Collections. The Black Panther by Priest collections have been nothing short of amazing IMO.
    I've been reading it on Unlimited. Aside from a few random missteps, its been a great ride. I'm on issue 26, the beginning of the Storm arc.
    Cyclops was right

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

It's really good. The first ten issues not written by Miller are a bit rough but Gangwar and The Elektra Saga are brilliant. Not as good as Born Again but still pretty damn good stuff.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    It's really good. The first ten issues not written by Miller are a bit rough but Gangwar and The Elektra Saga are brilliant. Not as good as Born Again but still pretty damn good stuff.
    And the Punisher story. Don't forget it! Miller defined the modern Punisher during his DD run.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    And the Punisher story. Don't forget it! Miller defined the modern Punisher during his DD run.

Yes you can read Born Again without the other. Just know that Karen Page was a long time girlfriend who went off to Hollywood to become an actress and by the time Born Again came out she probably hadn't been seen in comics will almost 12 years at least.

That said, the other posters are right regarding the first volume: once Marvel let Miller take over the writing chores this series took off. This is the Daredevil blueprint and the groundwork for almost all other writers who followed. Some people say it doesn't stand the test of time but I disagree. It's just that Miller was able to wrap up a lot of things more quickly than how's it's done nowadays where storylines are stretched out forever. It's certainly well worth it for the art and the art's storytelling alone.

Plus if you don't like it, you can sell it on eBay and easily make back your money.
    Last edited by TomSlick; 01-02-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Pretty much what Victor, Diamond and Tom wrote. The art and stories were way ahead of most other comics at the time. I recently read the Omnibus and was impressed even though I originally read the majority of Miller's run in floppies when they first came out. It's still very good and a lot better than some of the stuff coming out today story and artwise.

I completely get what people are saying about Miller's Daredevil. Born Again is one of the best comic books, full stop. Man Without Fear is a great origin and story in it's own right as well but I love Miller's original run and not just because of it's place in comics history but because I just love the stories. You can't go wrong with any of it and none of it is especially essential to the other but Man Without Fear is slightly more rewarding if you have read the first run.

Spectacular Member Gerald Keefer's Avatar

I'll chime in as well. I love both. As stated once Miller starts writing is where it gets amazing but even when he isn't he's drawing some incredibly good funny books. I still feel gut punched every time I read the end of the Elektra saga. No DD has ever come close to this run once he started writing and then Born Again...cant even articulate how good that truly is. Definitely buy both ! And as TomSlick said you can always sell and make $ back easily.

Get the companion omnibus. If you like that, check out the Elektra saga from the first omni. The first half of the first omni is pretty bland imo.

Spectacular Member

Thanks guys! Im from the Philippines though, so I cant easily resell it. Plus shipping. So thats why I make sure its really worth it. THANKS ALL!

Thanks guys! Im from the Philippines though, so I cant easily resell it. Plus shipping. So thats why I make sure its really worth it. THANKS ALL!
    Do you like Daredevil? If you do, or if you like Frank Miller's other work then there's a good chance that you might like it. I personally don't care for Daredevil, but I get the impression that its the best DD run out there.