Page 940 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 4408408909309369379389399409419429439449509901040 ... LastLast
Results 14,086 to 14,100 of 20716

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I haven't yet read Secret Empire but I recently read Civil War II with the tie-ins and before that Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill. Standoff is kind of the starting point as to when Cap gets "corrupted" by Kobik. Also, the Captain America: Steve Rogers run by Nick Spencer seems kind of crucial as a lead-up to Secret Empire. Saying that, the Secret Empire event may have a decent recap of the events previous to it. Someone else may comment as to whether this is the case.
    ah the curse of superhero comics strikes again!
    I have zero interest in Civil War II but heard good things about Stand off. That said I don't really want to buy a whole bunch of books to understand what the hell is going on, I would rather just not buy any then.
    Although Stand off is also written by Spencer.... (reading his Ant-man atm and it's great)

Thanks for the replies tho, hope someone can comment on how self contained Secret Empire is.

You don’t need civil war II to understand standoff
    You don’t need stand-off to understand secret empire
    I enjoyed both stand-off and secret empire but have not read civil war II yet
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    You don’t need civil war II to understand standoff
    You don’t need stand-off to understand secret empire
    I enjoyed both stand-off and secret empire but have not read civil war II yet
    thank you!
    I've just looked and Stand off is going for really cheap atm (around like 10quid for the ohc) so might get that anyway tho. Hard to resist a good deal

I suppose I didn't necessarily address the question above.

I consider Spencer's Steve Rogers: Captain America volume essential to Secret Empire, in addition to being a superior read. You don't *have* to read it to understand Secret Empire, but just reading the mini itself seems, to me, like watching the last half hour of a two hour movie.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I found Civil War II to be the usual Bendis meh event. There were some really out of character and "off" dialogues such as Blue Marvel's derogatory comment to Luke Cage whilst they were battling each other, Carol Danver's stabbing remark to Storm about T'Challa and Storm's lack of response. The art by David Marquez, on the other hand, was quite beautiful.

FWIW, Nick Spencer's Steve Rogers Cap and Sam Wilson Cap are extremely wordy, a lot of descriptive information and thoughts and dialogue to process. From what I gather, Secret Empire is similar. Somewhat different to his Superior Foes and Ant-Man which have their slight wordy moments but lighter

okay so I've ordered the Standoff and Secret Empire ohcs cause they were really cheap.
    Could anyone point me to the essential tie in trades of Captain America please?
    Searched "Nick Spencer Captain America" on amazon and I feel like quitting comics right now

To be honest, I don't necessarily mind jumping into superhero runs blind. Just read Darkseid War on its own and I was fine with it but if there is a trade or two that's worth reading before Secret empire (or a hc or whatever) I can do that (but it seems like there are at least 3 volumes of both Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson Cap too).

Really appreciate all the responses btw.

I don't have the trades, I've got the singles, but I believe it's:

Vol 1 Hail Hydra (#1-6)
    Vol 2 Trial of Maria Hill (#7-11)
    Vol 3 Empire Building (#12-15)
    Vol 4 Secret Empire (#17-19)

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post

Vol 1 Hail Hydra (#1-6)
    Ah so the whole Steve Rogers series.
    Cheers!

I suppose I didn't necessarily address the question above.

I consider Spencer's Steve Rogers: Captain America volume essential to Secret Empire, in addition to being a superior read. You don't *have* to read it to understand Secret Empire, but just reading the mini itself seems, to me, like watching the last half hour of a two hour movie.
    Completely agree! Steve Rogers: Captain America sets up Secret Empire beautifully.

Spectacular Member

Vol 1 Hail Hydra (#1-6)
    Forgive me as this is the pedant in me coming out more than anything else! But technically the Secret Empire TPB doesn't have a volume number as it's a 50/50 split between the Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan P91 View Post
    Forgive me as this is the pedant in me coming out more than anything else! But technically the Secret Empire TPB doesn't have a volume number as it's a 50/50 split between the Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson series.
    thanks for the clarification. Amazon had the issues in them listed so found it pretty easily and ordered all 4.
    Not a fan of slim MArvel trades but these were fairly cheap and I've already got the 2 ohcs of Standoff and SA and didn't want to wait years for a chunkier collection so I can read them finally.

BANNED

Just ordered ''Ultimate Comics Avengers by Mark Millar Omnibus'' and ''New X-Men Omnibus''

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Just ordered ''Ultimate Comics Avengers by Mark Millar Omnibus'' and ''New X-Men Omnibus''
    Nice! I own both of those books. New X-Men is one of my personal favorites.

Millar's Ultimate Avengers is not a particularly great series, but I have a soft spot for all things UU. I also picked it up for $25, which was a hard deal to pass on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    Nice! I own both of those books. New X-Men is one of my personal favorites.

Millar's Ultimate Avengers is not a particularly great series, but I have a soft spot for all things UU. I also picked it up for $25, which was a hard deal to pass on.
    I have a soft spot for all things Ultimate Universe as well. Too bad they didn't collect X-Men as Omnibuses :/ and Spider-Man Omnibus, vol. 2 didn't release :/ I would be all over both.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    I have a soft spot for all things Ultimate Universe as well. Too bad they didn't collect X-Men as Omnibuses :/ and Spider-Man Omnibus, vol. 2 didn't release :/ I would be all over both.
    Yeah, the UU was a major part of getting me into comics! It definitely has its ups and downs but there's so much to love. One of these days I'd like to re-read (most of) the whole UU from start to finish. I do like that it's self-contained enough that such a thing is possible within a reasonable timeframe.

I'm also fortunate enough to have the entirety of USM collected in oversized hardcover (including a sealed Miles Omni which I just scored yesterday for under cover price!), but more Omni's would definitely be nice! If the Vol. 1 USM Omni ever gets reprinted, I definitely plan on upgrading. I would also have liked if Hickman's Ultimates run was collected in oversized format. I have the two small hardcovers, but it's the one other run with those characters that nearly lives up to Millar and Hitch and it would have been great to have them in the same format.