Page 95 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 45859192939495969798991051451955951095 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 20773

So,my Hawkeye vol. 2 OHC came in a week or so ago. (Hey, they're not suckering me into the omnibus.)
    I re-read Vol. 1 since it's been awhile. It's good. I mean, it's cool, it's above average and there are parts that are super.
    Now, volume 2.
    What a turd! Seriously, all the cutesy little things Fraction did in the first volume he overkilled in the second one. The odd time the stories kept I thought maybe the pages were printed out of order. Heck he even out-Bendised Bendis with the back and forth dumb banter. Not only that He repeated it with the same scenes from issue to issue. That lazy he can't do better dialogue?
    It rotated each issue from Kate to Cline. The Kate stories were awful. The whole Madame Masque thing was stupid. Apparently, sticking to the Bendis theme, Fraction said the hell with Masque's continuity and face.
    And then it ends in the most predictable way ever.
    Damn, I feel dumber reading this series now. And it started off at a decent level.
    This will be the last series I ever buy that's written by Fraction.
    I confess to liking his Iron Man for the most part, his Punisher was horrible, Fear Itself was one of Marvel's crappiest events in the past 10 years (although the Tony Stark/Odin scenes are worth reading)., and that Sex Criminals series is just asinine.
    (sigh). That's my rant for the evening.

Incredible Member

Quick question: how is Jason Aaron's Marvel stuff compared to his own creator owned stuff like Southern Bastards and Scalped?

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    So,my Hawkeye vol. 2 OHC came in a week or so ago. (Hey, they're not suckering me into the omnibus.)
    I re-read Vol. 1 since it's been awhile. It's good. I mean, it's cool, it's above average and there are parts that are super.
    Now, volume 2.
    What a turd! Seriously, all the cutesy little things Fraction did in the first volume he overkilled in the second one. The odd time the stories kept I thought maybe the pages were printed out of order. Heck he even out-Bendised Bendis with the back and forth dumb banter. Not only that He repeated it with the same scenes from issue to issue. That lazy he can't do better dialogue?
    It rotated each issue from Kate to Cline. The Kate stories were awful. The whole Madame Masque thing was stupid. Apparently, sticking to the Bendis theme, Fraction said the hell with Masque's continuity and face.
    And then it ends in the most predictable way ever.
    Damn, I feel dumber reading this series now. And it started off at a decent level.
    This will be the last series I ever buy that's written by Fraction.
    I confess to liking his Iron Man for the most part, his Punisher was horrible, Fear Itself was one of Marvel's crappiest events in the past 10 years (although the Tony Stark/Odin scenes are worth reading)., and that Sex Criminals series is just asinine.
    (sigh). That's my rant for the evening.
    I have been hearing this a lot. Fraction wrote during my least favourite X-Men era, and since then, I've always been wary of reading him. Maybe Hawkeye should have been a limited series.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Quick question: how is Jason Aaron's Marvel stuff compared to his own creator owned stuff like Southern Bastards and Scalped?
    His marvel stuff is very different from what I've read of Scalped. His wolverine and the X-Men run was fun, and his Thor work has been excellent.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

his Thor: God of Thunder stuff is amazing. His Wolverine run was quite good. Wolverine and the X-Men was lighthearted but still enjoyed it.

I've never bought the Fraction hype, from what I've read he is incapable of finishing a story. His first two Iron Man arcs were really good then it progressively got worse until it completely dive bombed. Hawkeye is good and the end is just messy and pointless. It feels cheap because after one or two plots he only has his novelty tricks. Brubaker plays down his role in Immortal Iron Fist but that maintains a quality and story that Brubaker must have been essential in keeping on track because Fraction hasn't ever shown that ability before.

The ends of his works tend to be much more style than substance, which is fine if you enjoy that. For something to be great it needs everything though.

Incredible Member

Thanks for the responses on Aaron. I think I know where to start now.

His Scalped is a helluva lot better than anything he's written for Marvel. His Marvel stuff reaks of phoning it in and selling out for some easy money.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    His Scalped is a helluva lot better than anything he's written for Marvel. His Marvel stuff reaks of phoning it in and selling out for some easy money.
    I'm often tempted to try Scalped. What kind of stories are they?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I've never read his Marvel stuff, but Scalped is absolutely fantastic. A modern Vertigo classic. Super satisfying from beginning to end. Crime, mystery, drama, even some relationship stuff.
    Last edited by missingmarch; 01-03-2016 at 09:39 PM.

One of the things I like about Aaron is that his books always feel different. My favorite Aaron Marvel books are Thor God Of Thunder (The first OHC), Ghost Rider, Weird World and his Black Panther arc.

I haven't read Scalped but Southern Bastards is excellent.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I'm often tempted to try Scalped. What kind of stories are they?
    They are really heavy, very grey and a great ride. You need to give it a couple of trades before it really kicks into high gear. But once it does it is one of the best books that has come out in years. Rich, heart breaking storytelling, your loyalties and emotions get flipped about so often you don't know which way is up by the end of it.

Hello guys,

I am new in this Omnibus world and have a question for the ones, who live in Europe like me:
    where do u get the variant covers? For the classic omnibus I really like the old covers and I canīt buy them in the typical websites like amazon, wordery or Bookdepository.
    Iīve seen some variant covers in cheap-comics, but they donīt use to be really cheap...

Thank u and best regards!

Amazing Member

Hey Pablo,

I live in Europe too. So the Variant Covers are Direct Market Editions, that means that you get them only in (online) Comic Stores. Amazon won't sell them.
    It's hard to get them cheap and most of the time they are oop much faster than the standard editions. I only own one Omnibus with a Variant Cover, because
    they are hard to get and I'm not willing to pay so much only to get a different dust jacket.

For example you can order them here, but I don't know if all of them offer international shipping.

www.archonia.com (I think located in Belgium), never bought there comics on my own e. g. Uncanny X-Men Volume 3 Variant ~90 Euro plus shipping
    www.comicexpress.de (German Comic shop), SRP in Dollar = price in Euro
    www.comic-heaven.de (German Comic shop), poor product range, but price is ok (e. g. I think they had the FF4 Omnibus by Byrne Variant for around 60-70 Euro few months ago)
    www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk (British Comic shop), good product range, price is ok, pre-order the Omnibus with variant covers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    They are really heavy, very grey and a great ride. You need to give it a couple of trades before it really kicks into high gear. But once it does it is one of the best books that has come out in years. Rich, heart breaking storytelling, your loyalties and emotions get flipped about so often you don't know which way is up by the end of it.
    I'm going to get the first deluxe when I order the second Black Panther complete collection and get that Wordery 10% a bit later. I just saw that it will all be collected in five deluxes as well which is always a plus to have an entire run in one format if I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaepuck View Post
    Hey Pablo,

I live in Europe too. So the Variant Covers are Direct Market Editions, that means that you get them only in (online) Comic Stores. Amazon won't sell them.
    It's hard to get them cheap and most of the time they are oop much faster than the standard editions. I only own one Omnibus with a Variant Cover, because
    they are hard to get and I'm not willing to pay so much only to get a different dust jacket.

For example you can order them here, but I don't know if all of them offer international shipping.

www.archonia.com (I think located in Belgium), never bought there comics on my own e. g. Uncanny X-Men Volume 3 Variant ~90 Euro plus shipping
    www.comicexpress.de (German Comic shop), SRP in Dollar = price in Euro
    www.comic-heaven.de (German Comic shop), poor product range, but price is ok (e. g. I think they had the FF4 Omnibus by Byrne Variant for around 60-70 Euro few months ago)
    www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk (British Comic shop), good product range, price is ok, pre-order the Omnibus with variant covers!
    Thank u very much! Really good info!