Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spectacular Member

I have seen every Marvel movie in the theatres, but I would skip this one altogether if Rousey is in the role. Ugh. But, OTOH, I can't imagine it happening either. Marvel has done a great job with casting. Can you imagine her holding her own in a scene with RDJ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Yes, how dare she think she should be, if she improves in her acting, considered for a role in a movie! The height of hubris! Clearly, the most important role in the history of cinema and she thinks, if she gets good enough, she should be considered? Haha! Knock her down a few pegs. That'll solve...
    Hubris is exactly what it is.

There are countless actresses in Hollywood who have spent years learning their craft, honing their skills, and paying their dues, actresses who could act rings around Rousey in their sleep. What has Rousey done that gives her any expectation that she should get consideration above--or even equal to--them? Simply another case of a celebrity who thinks fame should trump actual talent.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post

There are countless actresses in Hollywood who have spent years learning their craft, honing their skills, and paying their dues, actresses who could act rings around Rousey in their sleep. What has Rousey done that gives her any expectation that she should get consideration above--or even equal to--them? Simply another case of a celebrity who thinks fame should trump actual talent.
    Please. Hubris would be "I deserve this," "I should have this now," "I am the greatest actor of my generation." That's hubris. "I hope, if I improve, Marvel will consider me for a role I'd like" isn't hubris. It's not even demanding.

People on messageboards talking about participation trophies and knocking someone down a few pegs for saying "I hope I'll be considered," that's hubris. "Why are they putting her opinion online? She should shut up. I'm going to put my opinion online, because mine is important."
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
    I think Ronda, and most other people are just oblivious to the fact that Captain Marvel is going to be cast next year so Marvel can have Carol Danvers in Infinity War. Marvel has plenty of time to make the movie, but casting is within a year:

http://screenrant.com/captain-marvel...eo-avengers/2/

Trust me, Marvel probably has their top picks, lined up, they just want to wait until they finished the script. Now, as bad as the majority of Marvel fans may think casting Ronda Rousey is, trust me, Marvel knows that Ronda as Captain Marvel would be far worse than we could ever imagine.

On a side note, I really hope someone kicks Ronda's ass in the octagon. Sure, it's not a very nice thing to say, but winning every single UFC match must do wonders to her self-esteem, like thinking that Marvel would ever consider her for the role. I'm thinking, she probably just needs to brought down a peg or two.
    So if I read that last paragraph right, you want a woman you never met to get beat up because her being really good at her job gave her too much self esteem and confidence for your taste.

She isn't famous for no reason, she dedicated herself to her craft and became one of the best in the world at it. Based on what she said, she seems to be putting her dedication into acting now and if she gets good enough doesn't want to be dismissed because she was already famous when she started. Which is what you seem to be doing. If she doesn't improve greatly she won't be right for this role but with time she could become a good actress if it's something she wants.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Please. Hubris would be "I deserve this," "I should have this now," "I am the greatest actor of my generation." That's hubris. "I hope, if I improve, Marvel will consider me for a role I'd like" isn't hubris. It's not even demanding.
    Agreed. The idea that you have to work for something just for the chance to get it is the furthest thing from hubris, rather than something automatic or formulaic. The odds of Rousey winning the role are are a longshot, so she acknowledges that it's not going to be a shoe-in, and that she's going to have to work hard to compete with more seasoned actresses. That's the mind of a competitor.

With that said, Rousey or not, I trust Marvel to make a good casting decision. They've rarely miscast anyone over the course of a dozen movies (now, writing those characters is different altogether).
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-14-2015 at 08:28 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chico25 View Post
    She isn't famous for no reason, she dedicated herself to her craft and became one of the best in the world at it.
    But her "craft" is not acting, so her fame has zero relevance to her qualifications as an actress.

Based on what she said, she seems to be putting her dedication into acting now and if she gets good enough doesn't want to be dismissed because she was already famous when she started. Which is what you seem to be doing.
    What I'm doing is dismissing her because she lacks the actual acting ability to carry a major motion picture and is extraordinarily unlikely to change that in the 2 years or so between now and the time the movie actually starts shooting. If she wants to "dedicate" herself to acting, then fine. Let her put in the work, gain the experience, and then we'll talk. But right now she's acting like she should be rewarded before the game even starts.

If she doesn't improve greatly she won't be right for this role but with time she could become a good actress if it's something she wants.
    But she's nowhere close to that yet. If and when she actually becomes a good actress, then she'll have something to bargain with. Right now she has nothing to trade on but her fame.

BANNED

She would make a great version of Mankiller or Titania if possible, but Captain Marvel maybe hard to pull off. In fact, Why not have her be the MCU version of one of the Valkyries of Thor lore ? Wouldn't that work ?

Fantastic Member

But her "craft" is not acting, so her fame has zero relevance to her qualifications as an actress.

What I'm doing is dismissing her because she lacks the actual acting ability to carry a major motion picture and is extraordinarily unlikely to change that in the 2 years or so between now and the time the movie actually starts shooting. If she wants to "dedicate" herself to acting, then fine. Let her put in the work, gain the experience, and then we'll talk. But right now she's acting like she should be rewarded before the game even starts.

But she's nowhere close to that yet. If and when she actually becomes a good actress, then she'll have something to bargain with. Right now she has nothing to trade on but her fame.
    She literally stated in that interview that she would be putting in work and gaining experience and hopes that when the time comes it's enough to be considered. She isn't just saying I'm famous so give me this. In fact I only brought up her other job to demonstrate the fact that she knows you have to work hard and be skilled to reach a high level in a field and that she seems to be taking the same approach here. That doesn't mean she can't talk about wanting to play a character she is clearly a fan of, even if the odds of it happening are slim.

She is apparently starring in a Roadhouse remake soon which will give a good indication if there is any hope of her being fit to carry a movie.
    Last edited by chico25; 10-14-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Spectacular Member

She needs more acting credentials no doubt, but there is time for her too surprise many of the naysayers (and there is no shortness of them here) the absolute vitriol against her here on these message boards is really misplaced, but probably her being really confident is annoying too many, I can think of a few action stars today whom were somewhat unproven, Dwayne The Rock Johnson is the most-significant example too me anyway, and there have been many others, Dave Bautista most-recently, and a few over the years, but I still say there is enough time for her too prove herself, and many of the other actresses that have been mentioned simply don't have anyway near her physicality for an Action Star, but I digress, some of these more seasoned actresses are not spring chickens, and would be pushing 40s in the few years that it is obviously going too take Marvel too finally come out with a finished product, can anyone say "foot-dragging" it's just the same with Warner Bros., and Wonder Woman, they just don't seem too enthusiastic. (:

BANNED

She literally stated in that interview that she would be putting in work and gaining experience and hopes that when the time comes it's enough to be considered. She isn't just saying I'm famous so give me this. In fact I only brought up her other job to demonstrate the fact that she knows you have to work hard and be skilled to reach a high level in a field and that she seems to be taking the same approach here. That doesn't mean she can't talk about wanting to play a character she is clearly a fan of, even if the odds of it happening are slim.

She is apparently starring in a Roadhouse remake soon which will give a good indication if there is any hope of her being fit to carry a movie.
    The fact that she's saying all of this now, before she's come anywhere close to demonstrating the actual skill required for the job, is absolutely her trading on her fame, because her fame gives her a platform to campaign for the job in the media that more qualified actresses (and most of the actresses in Hollywood are more qualified) who don't have her high media profile lack. It would be naive to think she's not aware of that and isn't actively trying to use that to her advantage.

And her ability to play the lead in the remake of a movie that features one of the most entertainingly bad performances in film history isn't likely to be much of a litmus test.
    Last edited by kalorama; 10-14-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Fantastic Member

The fact that she's saying all of this now, before she's come anywhere close to demonstrating the actual skill required for the job, is absolutely her trading on her fame, because her fame gives her a platform to campaign for the job in the media that more qualified actresses (and most of the actresses in Hollywood are more qualified) who don't have her high media profile lack. To pretend like she's not aware of that and isn't actively trying to use that to her advantage is just naive.

And her ability to play the lead in the remake of a movie that features one of the most entertainingly bad performances in film history isn't likely to be much of a litmus test.
    If you mean that she is in a better position to make it publicly known that she wants the job than a talented unknown actress, you are correct. A well known actress on the other hand like an Emily Blunt or Charlize Theron could tweet about wanting the job and that would blow up on the internet overnight. However having it be publicly known that you want an acting job does nothing to get you that job if the people in charge don't think you are right for the part.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

The girls actually needs to prove she can do it in another movie or even tv show.. but so far I dont think she's done anything that Marvel would consider her

Astonishing Member

Marvel should be paying Ronda now, because without her interest, the only talk for Captain Marvel is yet another delay. Further, while Marvel has built a solid name, Captain Marvel is not a name to put butts in seats. Ronda is a huge name right now, and she's giving them free promotion.

Her "hubris"? Please. "Hopefully by the time 'Captain Marvel' comes around, I will have enough experience and skills in the field for them to really seriously consider me." A) She acknowledges that she does not yet have enough experience and skills; and B) She hopes to be "seriously considered." That's not hubris, it's having a goal and pursuing it.

But the best is her "participation trophies." The World Championships, Olympics, and UFC do not give out participation trophies.

Right now, I would not cast Ronda to lead in Captain Marvel, but I'm all for her interest and working towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    ... In fact, Why not have her be the MCU version of one of the Valkyries of Thor lore ? Wouldn't that work ?
    I love this idea.
    Last edited by Awonder; 10-14-2015 at 05:55 PM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Found this on tumblr under and "anti-MCU" tag.

I think the MCU fans are losing faith.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post

And, who knows - maybe she turns out to be a natural actress
    I've seen Expendables 3 and Furious 7. She's not.

Carol Danvers isn't an MMA fighter. Who cares if the actress can fight or not? Marvel's first female-lead film deserves an actress. A real actress. One who can actually act.

Her two minutes of screentime in Furious 7 are the worst parts of the movie, and I'm not interested in an entire movie of that.