Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The X-Files

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I think they may be focusing on the conspiracy/alien stuff more whereas the original series had a lot more supernatural mystery/monster of the week stuff which I think made the series great overall as it balanced all the conspiracy/alien stuff. But a lot of the darkness came from the supernatural/monster of the week stuff IMO. That's why the original series could do like 20+ episodes a year because those 20+ episodes weren't all about the Alien/conspiracy stuff. If they were then the show would have burned out a lot faster.
    Actually, from what I've been hearing, the bulk of the season is going to be monster-of-the-week, with the first and last episodes being the heaviest on the mythology. Can't wait to get a look at this series.

Astonishing Member

Ok, they need to stop this post game NFL show and get to the X-files. I been waiting too long for this ish.
    Ugh, I know, that was annoying. So did finally see it, didn't seem too 'bright'.

Ok watched the first episode and it was ok. You would think after all Scully has seen, she would be a little less skeptical but I suppose that is the role she is suppose to serve in the show but geez. I thought they did a nice job of linking in all the stuff that happened since the first show ended with the conspiracy and seeing all the familiar faces come back including one of my all time favorites at the very end was great. And they definitely didn't seem to be going for jokey.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Actually, from what I've been hearing, the bulk of the season is going to be monster-of-the-week, with the first and last episodes being the heaviest on the mythology. Can't wait to get a look at this series.
    That's good to hear. I haven't read any of the pre press as wanted to be surprised so was just going off the comments. I think the monster of the week being sprinkled in would be good to break up the conspiracy stuff which can get a bit to melodramatic in heavy doses.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Ugh, I know, that was annoying. So did finally see it, didn't seem too 'bright'.
    Yeah I wouldn't say it was bright at all. Although certainly not ridiculously dark either. I think by the very nature of it, the monster of the week stuff adds a bit more darkness to it as there were some episodes that leaned more on the smart horror side of things rather than the conspiracy stuff which is more thriller than horror.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-24-2016 at 09:40 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Wow! What a great episode! After the last lackluster movie, I was sort of hesitant about how good this was going to be. Well, it really exceeded my expectations.

spoilers:
    I'm glad they brought back some of the regulars like Skinner and the Smoking Man (although I feel like him still being alive is a little bit of a cheat). Tad is a nice addition to the cast of characters.

Great story and concept right off the bat. It isn't an alien conspiracy. It isn't a government smoke screen by an elite group of men.......IT'S BOTH! Chris Carter weaves the two tales together and suddenly it all makes sense!
    end of spoilers

I'm so happy and excited about the next 5 episodes! It's a good time to be an X-Files fan!!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Thats kind of odd if true. Initially the X-Files filmed in Vancouver which is why it was often so gloomy and rainy looking. Around season six or seven they moved to Los Angeles and you could tell as now all the episodes were bright and sunny. For this return they went back to Vancouver so you would expect rain and gloom again.
    I think it's just them doing something a bit different with the color palette and lighting is all, maybe different cameras too.

BANNED

Ok watched the first episode and it was ok. You would think after all Scully has seen, she would be a little less skeptical but I suppose that is the role she is suppose to serve in the show but geez. I thought they did a nice job of linking in all the stuff that happened since the first show ended with the conspiracy and seeing all the familiar faces come back including one of my all time favorites at the very end was great. And they definitely didn't seem to be going for jokey.

That's good to hear. I haven't read any of the pre press as wanted to be surprised so was just going off the comments. I think the monster of the week being sprinkled in would be good to break up the conspiracy stuff which can get a bit to melodramatic in heavy doses.

Yeah I wouldn't say it was bright at all. Although certainly not ridiculously dark either. I think by the very nature of it, the monster of the week stuff adds a bit more darkness to it as there were some episodes that leaned more on the smart horror side of things rather than the conspiracy stuff which is more thriller than horror.
    She did run the test again, and run them on herself. She seems way less skeptical than before...but then Mulder is like: No, it's actually this whole other different thing.

That was confusing. I thought the cancer man had died. X-Files was always kind of confusing, mysterious.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

Incredible Member

I've always been a huge X-Files fan and I liked this but I have to say it's leaving some glaring things out. One, the previous series finale featured Mulder & Scully discovering that the final alien invasion and essentially the end of the world was to happen on Dec. 21, 2012. This episode only touched on that date to say that it was actually when the countdown to the real threat began, without any elaboration or explanation. I would have at least liked to hear them mention how the world didn't end like they thought. And two, Mulder's now saying he believes that aliens did come and were here to help but that evil human conspirators hijacked their technology to fake practically all of the things he and Scully have seen that they previously thought were currently active aliens. This from a man who was abducted himself and actually died and then came back to life at the hands of aliens, and there were way too many absolutely unambiguously alien things he and Scully saw for him to be convinced otherwise so quickly and easily. Major case in point- the vicious alien creatures in the first X-Files movie that Mulder saw on board the buried mothership in the Antarctic.

I'm going to stick with however and see where they go with it. It was a blast seeing these characters again. (And I will also hope for an explanation of how the Smoking Man is back when he was blown to bits by a missile attack at the end of the series, and even if he hadn't been would surely be dead of cancer by now.)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I liked this quite a bit. The cigarette smoking man being back, which I already wasn't too into in the comics, is a bit of a cheat but it's okay.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    She did run the test again, and run them on herself. She seems way less skeptical than before...but then Mulder is like: No, it's actually this whole other different thing.
    Yeah I think she was just hesitant to "come back" and was feigning skepticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ely View Post
    That was confusing. I thought the cancer man had died. X-Files was always kind of confusing, mysterious.
    No one dies forever in sci-fi, I'm sure they have in mind how his death was faked.

I liked the episode, it was shot and edited and scored like another episode of the X-Files to me. It started a little slow but when Mulder got into the grand conspiracy and how it fits in with modern politics I was really impressed. It ended strong, I'm back on board.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Except when she was meeting with Mulder, the TV dude, and Sveta she simply said the tests came back negative and did so as a means to get them to stop with the conspiracy talk. At no point during that scene did she offer up that she had the tests run again and basically her saying they came back negative with no clarification is what caused Sveta to give up hope as Sveta seemed devastated by the news which led to her going to the media to apologize. And then Sveta was killed right after. Maybe just maybe, she should have offered up she had enough doubts about the initial tests to have them run again.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

In the earlier seasons, there were half-alien clones of Mulder's sister that, at times, threw off his search for her. It's possible the Cigarette Smoking Man-who was involved with that program-also was cloned himself, and the one that died was a clone, or this current one is. Then again CSM has also been presumed dead at other points in the series as well.

Mulder being disillusioned about the alien plot though seems a bit too much like his season 5 arc.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    In the earlier seasons, there were half-alien clones of Mulder's sister that, at times, threw off his search for her. It's possible the Cigarette Smoking Man-who was involved with that program-also was cloned himself, and the one that died was a clone, or this current one is. Then again CSM has also been presumed dead at other points in the series as well.
    I don't think he's a clone. His flesh looked like he was in a fire, which fits with his supposed "death" when he was blown up.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Didn't we see his skull or something though? Maybe he has Wolverine-level healing abilities now or something. I think the clone explanation was also used for the follow up IDW comic series (Which I'm assuming is non canon now) that Carter had some involvement with.

Also I'm think O' Malley might not be what he appears to be as well. Maybe Syndicate?

Also wondering how Reyes fits into all this, as she's supposed to be making an appearence. Also I wonder if the monster of the week episodes involve a sequel to "Badlaa" (The one with Deep Roy using human bodies as disguises)? That pool imagery looks similar.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-25-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Can't wait guys!