Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The X-Files

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Didn't we see his skull or something though? Maybe he has Wolverine-level healing abilities now or something. I think the clone explanation was also used for the follow up IDW comic series (Which I'm assuming is non canon now) that Carter had some involvement with.

Also I'm think O' Malley might not be what he appears to be as well. Maybe Syndicate?

Also wondering how Reyes fits into all this, as she's supposed to be making an appearence. Also I wonder if the monster of the week episodes involve a sequel to "Badlaa" (The one with Deep Roy using human bodies as disguises)? That pool imagery looks similar.
    Oh man, I forgot about her. I can't stand her character on the show. Of all the people to bring back, why her?! Hopefully, she appears for only 5 minutes and we never see her again.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Most of you probably know but just in case someone new is watching for the first time, a reminder that it's on again tonight.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Except when she was meeting with Mulder, the TV dude, and Sveta she simply said the tests came back negative and did so as a means to get them to stop with the conspiracy talk. At no point during that scene did she offer up that she had the tests run again and basically her saying they came back negative with no clarification is what caused Sveta to give up hope as Sveta seemed devastated by the news which led to her going to the media to apologize. And then Sveta was killed right after. Maybe just maybe, she should have offered up she had enough doubts about the initial tests to have them run again.
    Only that conspiracy talk was a whole other thing. My point was that when it came to the alien stuff she was far less skeptical than in the past, which is why she ran all those different test.

So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Only that conspiracy talk was a whole other thing. My point was that when it came to the alien stuff she was far less skeptical than in the past, which is why she ran all those different test.
    You responded to me commenting on the fact she was still too skeptical not the other way around. So it wasn't a whole other thing. If you aren't going to respond to the point I raised then you shouldn't quote me as obviously doing so implies you intend to respond to my point.

She as well as the audience saw Sveta's reaction when she said the tests were negative so what does it matter that she ran them again when her reluctance to state that fact is what broke Sveta's will and likely led to her death? So yes she was still too skeptical because her failure to provide pertinent information led to disastrous results.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

After the big twist in the premiere, Ive decided to go back and watch all of the "mytharc" episodes from the initial 9 seasons to see if the reveal will hold water. I'm just 2 episodes in, and so far so good, especially the 2nd episode (Deep Throat) where the same twist is practically mentioned as an explanation for that episodes events. Anything to give me an excuse to go back and re-watch the series.

BANNED

You responded to me commenting on the fact she was still too skeptical not the other way around. So it wasn't a whole other thing. If you aren't going to respond to the point I raised then you shouldn't quote me as obviously doing so implies you intend to respond to my point.

She as well as the audience saw Sveta's reaction when she said the tests were negative so what does it matter that she ran them again when her reluctance to state that fact is what broke Sveta's will and likely led to her death? So yes she was still too skeptical because her failure to provide pertinent information led to disastrous results.
    No, your comment was that you would think Skully would be less skeptical, to which I said she was. Her running all those test shows she is less skeptical about the whole alien thing. The thing is, that first episode shifts the focus off the alien conspiracy, now it's a different conspiracy that she seemed to think was even crazier than the other thing.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    No, your comment was that you would think Skully would be less skeptical, to which I said she was. Her running all those test shows she is less skeptical about the whole alien thing. The thing is, that first episode shifts the focus off the alien conspiracy, now it's a different conspiracy that she seemed to think was even crazier than the other thing.
    You are trying to tell me what I meant when I made the comment as if you are in my head. The specific scene that gave rise to the specific comment I made about her not being less skeptical was her dismissing their claims and throwing out the negative result when she knew she didn't have all the test results. As a woman of science she should know better. I never claimed my comment had anything to do with the alien thing. That's your thing not mine.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Just watched the first episode and enjoyed it for the most part. It explained where and Mulder and Scully are now quite well. Sadly, it also has the same problems that plague every post-season 3 Mythology episode: people claim to know the truth but make Mulder jump through hoops when they could just tell him and give him proof, the back and forth as to whether aliens are real or if it's just evil humans, Scully NEVER present/conscious to see the alien stuff Mulder sees... etc. Having said all that, I watched The X-Files for the monster of the week episodes, not the alien conspiracy ones. I'm holding out hope that the usually awesome monster episodes will be great in this continuation, too

Also, the actor playing the Asian lead scientist in this episode has played doomed scientists in the series before. I guess the casting people like him... or like killing him.
    Last edited by nx01a; 01-25-2016 at 10:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

This almost seems like a parody of itself. Maybe they'll take a bit from "Homeland" and cast Mulder as having a mental disorder which is why he's so quick to disbelieve NINE YEARS of stuff they've seen so quicky. The whole "the alien cover-up conspiracy IS the conspiracy (or that it's the misdirection)" thing has been done enough times that there's no reason Mulder should trust anyone who tells him anything. His mental disorder is the only explanation at this point. Between Joel McHale being such a huge plot device and Scully falling in line so quickly again, I don't know how seriously I can take any of this. (what was that nonsense about the "takeover of america?? - sounds like a Palin speech)

The only way this can be saved is if this turns out to be a satire - which I kinda hope it is.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-25-2016 at 10:55 PM.

BANNED

You are trying to tell me what I meant when I made the comment as if you are in my head. The specific scene that gave rise to the specific comment I made about her not being less skeptical was her dismissing their claims and throwing out the negative result when she knew she didn't have all the test results. As a woman of science she should know better. I never claimed my comment had anything to do with the alien thing. That's your thing not mine.
    No, I'm only going by what you wrote. Maybe you meant something else, but what you wrote was that you would think Skully would a less skeptical. Well, what I'm saying is that when it comes to the whole alien thing, that first episode showed Skully was in fact a little less skeptical, she ran a whole slew of test on that girl and herself, this shows that on the matter of the whole alien conspiracy she was less skeptical than before. But that first episode is about shifting the focus to a different kind of conspiracy, and when it came to the new conspiracy he wasn't buying it.

I didn't say you claimed your comment was about the alien thing, I said her running those test does show she's a little less skeptical.

The "Founder's Mutation" episode was so sad, and intense.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This almost seems like a parody of itself. Maybe they'll take a bit from "Homeland" and cast Mulder as having a mental disorder which is why he's so quick to disbelieve NINE YEARS of stuff they've seen so quicky. The whole "the alien cover-up conspiracy IS the conspiracy (or that it's the misdirection)" thing has been done enough times that there's no reason Mulder should trust anyone who tells him anything. His mental disorder is the only explanation at this point. Between Joel McHale being such a huge plot device and Scully falling in line so quickly again, I don't know how seriously I can take any of this. (what was that nonsense about the "takeover of america?? - sounds like a Palin speech)

The only way this can be saved is if this turns out to be a satire - which I kinda hope it is.
    Sveta: He's been depressed. What you diagnosed as endogenous depression. It's what killed your relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Spectacular Member

First episode seemed just as good/bad as any other episode in this show -- which, after watching Heroes Reborn, I have to say I do respect. I got the impression that the show trimmed some minutes though. From Scully telling Sveta that she was normal, to Sveta appearing on the news report, to the X-Files being re-opened, I felt like I was accidentally skipping over scenes.

Cons:

* I guess Mulder's long monologues are signature, but I've never liked them.

* CSM -- I mean come on. Botched brain surgery, cancer, thrown down a flight of stairs, hit by a missile. It's like that scene in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me: Why won't you die? Let him go already.

* The idea of Mulder being duped has already been used. It also makes no sense.

The long story arc is cool, but I always wondered why they didn't just start a new, separate arc and leave the alien conspiracy completely behind. There's a lot they could do with longer-form horror/paranormal. They could probably have done the conspiracy story they are doing now without trying to retcon 9 seasons, just by saying the colonization was averted.

Incredible Member

It's like the past decade happened without them missing a beat jumping back in. Both episodes were pretty damn great and I loved it. Much better vibes than heroes reborn.