Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The X-Files

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Oh man, I forgot about her. I can't stand her character on the show. Of all the people to bring back, why her?! Hopefully, she appears for only 5 minutes and we never see her again.
    My understanding is they wanted to have all the regulars at least make an appearance. I think the guy who played Doggett was busy on a new show so he's the only one they didn't get for this arc.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Maybe they'll take a bit from "Homeland" and cast Mulder as having a mental disorder which is why he's so quick to disbelieve NINE YEARS of stuff they've seen so quicky.
    Well, believing whatever information he just got at the beginning of the episode has always been Mulder's thing.

(what was that nonsense about the "takeover of america?? - sounds like a Palin speech)
    It's a show about conspiracies using a popular conspiracy for plot. They also namecheck Snowden who's popular on the left side of politics. They use it all.
    Some of it's probably misdirection, on this series you can expect at least some.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Sveta: He's been depressed. What you diagnosed as endogenous depression. It's what killed your relationship.
    That too. But he's never been right in the head completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    It's like the past decade happened without them missing a beat jumping back in. Both episodes were pretty damn great and I loved it. Much better vibes than heroes reborn.
    Yeah it's pretty wild how they just picked it up. Everything worked for me.

I think someone earlier mentioned they missed some of that dark humor, Mulder had some with his saying he blacked out after the doctor's eyes popped out "and believe me you can't un-see that"

Next week, another case "it has a monster in it"

The X-Files​ 10x02 'Founder's Mutation'...
    Mulder and Scully​'s parental roles, guilt, and nightmares are actually far more interesting than the monster whose methods are rather questionable, probably because his mama calls him slow. Mulder and Scully toss footnotes, end notes, and annotated bibliographies at each other in an attempt to lend depth to the science of the episode but they don't seem to be talking WITH each other so much as just spewing facts. It was an interesting albeit cliche psychic twin concept mixed with an auditory experience for the viewer plus a gruesome death and autopsy but the episode still fell flat in terms of the monster plot. The series is firmly about Mulder and Scully's relationship... just as it always was.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

The best parts are where Mulder and Scully are interacting. They haven't missed most of the chemistry, but I can feel that some years have been spent apart causing them to not connect as well as they did before.

I am on board and very curious to see where the show goes.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

That noise was pretty ear-piercing, wasn't it? Painful! I love that guy telling Mulder "The truth is in here".

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Also, the actor playing the Asian lead scientist in this episode has played doomed scientists in the series before. I guess the casting people like him... or like killing him.
    I swear this is like the third time I've seen Hiro Kanagawa in something this week. He's one busy man!

Fantastic Member

I was a big fan of The X-files back in the '90's, and recently got the 1993-2002 series on Blu-ray. I'm really enjoying re-visiting the show, especially since this Blu release is the first time that we're seeing Seasons 1-4?! in widescreen.

And, I'm really enjoying the first two episodes of the new X-files series. The show hasn't skipped a beat - Scully & Mulder fell right into their original roles as if they had never left; and AD Skinner was spot-on as well. The 2nd episode especially felt like the original seasons of the series. Several observations:

1) Really dig that they're using the original intro. to the series! Very nostalgic. It was a great idea to not change this.

2) The 1st episode about Roswell was fantastic, and I liked the voice-over intro. by Mulder re: his giving a little bit of history of the X-files. This episode also flowed seamlessly from the 2008 X-files film I want to Believe; in that film, it depicted Mulder living in that remote cabin by himself & Scully having gone back to practicing medicine. This was carried over into the first episode of this new series.

3) I remembered that Scully & Mulder were a couple - briefly - in the later seasons of the series. However, I had forgotten about the son they had - whom they put up for adoption to protect. The dream sequences (in episode 2) when Mulder & Scully separately imagined what it would have been like if they had kept the child were quite poignant.

3) Just like in the early seasons of the show, I like how they're mixing it up re: the horror/sci-fi aspects of the show. I.e., the first episode was about Roswell, so very much a strong sci-fi element. The second show also had elements of sci-fi, but also involved horrible physical mutations & mental telekenesis - so, IMHO it had more of an intentional horror "vibe".

In any case, great stuff here. Looking forward to the next 4 episodes. And, if there aren't any more beyond that, I would be disappointed - but, at the same time, happy that we even got 6 new episodes.

This was one of those classic comedic X-Files episode. I don't know the actor's name, but he was in Yes Man with Jim Carey. He was hilarious here.

Also, I can't believe they managed to get the toad-licking actor and actress from "Quagmire"

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This was a pretty funny show as even Mulder debated if this was just a weird guy who believed he was a lizard creature or not. The best part was him at the drive thru window of a fast food place wanting food ... "Sir , your gonna need a car ..."
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

It can't be a coincidence that this guy was basically wearing Carl Kolchak's old outfit. This is a mutated version of an old Night Stalker case.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    It can't be a coincidence that this guy was basically wearing Carl Kolchak's old outfit. This is a mutated version of an old Night Stalker case.
    I'm guessing it was not, I'm also sure it's more than just basically, the outfit seemed exactly the same from what I remember. He looked like a mix between Kolchak and a used car salesman.

Rhys Darby also played a werewolf in What We Do in the Shadows.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    This was one of those classic comedic X-Files episode. I don't know the actor's name, but he was in Yes Man with Jim Carey. He was hilarious here.

Also, I can't believe they managed to get the toad-licking actor and actress from "Quagmire"

Is that Tyler Labine and the woman from the start of the episode that were huffing?

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    That was hilarious, I knew the seemed familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The best part was him at the drive thru window of a fast food place wanting food ... "Sir , your gonna need a car ..."
    "Tell that to my dead friend George" about the jackalope was my fav.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    He still has a thing for red

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

This was such a funny episode. I did not expect them to do one of these in this short 6 ep season, but it was hilarious.

I caught something while watching that scene in the graveyard exchange between Fox and the lizard guy. The tombstone that Fox laid the flowers on had the name "Kim Manners" on it. For those that don't know that name, Kim was a producer and director on the show back in the days. That was a nice nod and respectable way to honor him.

The other tombstone had Jack Hardy on it, a nod to the assistant director of Millennium and the Lone Gunmen.
    Last edited by The Whovian; 02-02-2016 at 12:45 PM.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Man, now that was the X-Files!

I enjoyed the first couple of episodes enough but they both felt off to me somehow. This one though felt like a classic Darin Morgan episode right from the cold open: It was that awesome mix of existentialism, metacommentary, goofy humour and taking the piss out of Fox Mulder as often as possible. This was also the first episode where Duchovny and Anderson felt fully energized by what was going on and even sounded more like their old selves. Not that they've been phoning it in or anything but there was this tiredness to Mulder and Scully in the first couple of episodes that was fitting, to be sure, and yet weirdly unsettling.

I don't know what they way too short season holds (The X-Files has never been particularly consistent so the shortened season doesn't exactly help) but this single episode justified this entire comeback.

And nice tribute to the late Kim Manners as well.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Is that Tyler Labine and the woman from the start of the episode that were huffing?
    I'm not 100% sure if the girl is the same, but yeah Tyler Labine was the huffing stoner at the beginning of the recent episode, who was also licking the toad on the docking area in Quagmire.