Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The X-Files

that "witchdoctor" was pretty hilarious too. kept me facepalming

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I'm not 100% sure if the girl is the same, but yeah Tyler Labine was the huffing stoner at the beginning of the recent episode, who was also licking the toad on the docking area in Quagmire.
    According to TVLine they both were in "Quagmire" and "War of the Corphages" he's credited as Stoner and she was Redheaded Chick.
    http://tvline.com/gallery/the-x-file...s-ep3-huffers/

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

This latest ep had some funny parts I enjoyed, but, is it just me, or is anyone hoping for a non-campy monster-of-the-week episode? I prefer those and that's what most of the monster episodes were X-Files started out (X-Files scared me growing up).

I love some of the campy ones too, don't get me wrong. But I'd really like to see the show go back to its roots with a non-camp monster episode. It seems they're only interested in non-campy serious when it comes to the mythology and I find that very disappointing.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

There was comedic monster-of-the-week episodes before. The genie episode "Je Souhaite" (2000) comes immediately to mind. And the shapeshifting janitor with a tail episode "Small Potatoes" (1997). The Cops parody episode "X-Cops" (2000). The black and white Frankenstein monster that loves Cher episode "The Post-Modern Prometheus" (1997). The Brady Bunch house episode "Sunshine Days" (2002), etc., etc. X-Files wasn't always grim dark angst serious melodrama all the time.
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 02-03-2016 at 05:25 PM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

My favourite episodes were the ones that explored the serious stuff, like D.P.O and Pusher. Those two are probably my favourite episodes. "The Unnatural" is still one of the most moving episodes that the X-Files ever did and Mulder and Scully are hardly in it. This episode, though, it just hit all the right chords for me. There's a very good chance I might watch this episode 4 years from now and think "Maybe they could have done something else to fill the 6-episode season", but my immediate reaction was that it was great and probably the best episode of the new season.

Damn, now I wanna see lists of what people thought were the best X-Files episodes.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ely View Post
    There was comedic monster-of-the-week episodes before. The genie episode "Je Souhaite" (2000) comes immediately to mind. And the shapeshifting janitor with a tail episode "Small Potatoes" (1997). The Cops parody episode "X-Cops" (2000). The black and white Frankenstein monster that loves Cher episode "The Post-Modern Prometheus" (1997). The Brady Bunch house episode "Sunshine Days" (2002), etc., etc. X-Files wasn't always grim dark angst serious melodrama all the time.
    I know, I said in my post that I've loved some of the campy comedy ones. Je Souhaite, Bad Blood (which I really really loved), Arcadia (another fave), The Amazing Maleeni, and maybe some others. I just prefer the non-comedic monster-of-the-week episodes and hope they do some of those too (and not just confine the serious to mythology episodes).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-03-2016 at 07:53 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I like both. With only six episodes, if you prefer one over the other, I can see how it would be annoying, but I was pumped when they announced that Darin Morgan would be back to write one. To me his four episodes were an important part of the fabric of the show. Jose Chung's From Outer Space is regularly the one that I show people who have never seen an episode before. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is insane in its balance of humor and heart.

No, I'd have been more upset if they didn't get Darin Morgan.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is insane in its balance of humor and heart.
    That's Darin Morgan's masterpiece IMHO. Perfect balance. Surprisingly creepy, funny, and a ton of heart.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    This latest ep had some funny parts I enjoyed, but, is it just me, or is anyone hoping for a non-campy monster-of-the-week episode? I prefer those and that's what most of the monster episodes were X-Files started out (X-Files scared me growing up).

I love some of the campy ones too, don't get me wrong. But I'd really like to see the show go back to its roots with a non-camp monster episode. It seems they're only interested in non-campy serious when it comes to the mythology and I find that very disappointing.
    Same here. But I never enjoyed the campy episodes. I enjoy the humorous ones, just not this over the top.

The season is half over already! It has a sampler-platter feel. I don't really favor the alien mythology stuff over the standalone episodes -- in fact a lot of that should be avoided imo -- but I think I would have preferred some kind of multi-episode arc. Especially when the first episode had Mulder monologuing about post 9/11 America, and none of that is followed up on until apparently the finale.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is insane in its balance of humor and heart.
    That one's great, Peter Boyle was so great in that. Funny, suspenseful, touching, has it all.

I know, I said in my post that I've loved some of the campy comedy ones. Je Souhaite, Bad Blood (which I really really loved), Arcadia (another fave), The Amazing Maleeni, and maybe some others. I just prefer the non-comedic monster-of-the-week episodes and hope they do some of those too (and not just confine the serious to mythology episodes).
    Arcadia is another great one, showing the group conformity of suburbia that should be rebelled against.

Damn, now I wanna see lists of what people thought were the best X-Files episodes.
    My favorites are Monday, Quagmire, Unusual Suspects, Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, Humbug, Small Potatoes, Dreamland (parts I and II), Squeeze, Tooms, The Postmodern Prometheus, Arcadia, Sunshine Days, First Person Shooter, X-Cops, Je Souhaite, War of the Coprophages, How the Ghosts Stole Christmas, Home, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and Chinga. Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster now goes on the list.
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 02-04-2016 at 01:00 AM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

I had a list right up until I saw the episode "Drive". Now, that episode is the list.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

A few of my personal favourites were two and three parts stories. Anasazi/The Blessing Way/Paper Clip, Tempus Fugit/Max, Dreamland I+II. Single episodes include Squeeze, Tooms, Beyond the Sea, The Host, Humbug, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Quagmire, How the Ghosts Stole Christmas, Monday, Field Trip, X-Cops.

Plenty there even though there must be some that I've forgotten.

Favorite X-Files... that's a tough one.

Beyond the Sea, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, E.B.E., Ice, Duane Barry, Paper Hearts, Leonard Betts, Pusher, Gethsemane/Redux I & II, Bad Blood, Unusual Subjects, Død Kalm, Tooms and Squeeze, The Host.

So many great episodes. Those first five seasons were some of the best television ever.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I imagine they'll squeeze a non campy one in too, it seems like they're going the greatest hits path which should be fun.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I thought the preview for next week's looks like a non-campy monster. They wanted some sort of way of getting Mulder back into things in an oddball manner that was still self-reflective which his conversation with the were-monster achieved

Here's the preview from the Fox YouTube page