Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The X-Files

Astonishing Member

I don't know the title, but I really liked the episode with the former solider who was in sleep deprivation exiperiments and could 'project' dreams. I thought it was the first one with Kychek, too.

This episode killed me...so funny! Guy's story went on for a bit long, but it was great to hear all his attempts at being human and his version of the encounter with Scully. I liked Mulder's struggle with faith and skepticism as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    I don't really favor the alien mythology stuff over the standalone episodes -- in fact a lot of that should be avoided imo -- but I think I would have preferred some kind of multi-episode arc. Especially when the first episode had Mulder monologuing about post 9/11 America, and none of that is followed up on until apparently the finale.
    That's not surprising, start big, have solid stand alone episodes, finish big. Or else they hinge a lot on just one story.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I don't know the title, but I really liked the episode with the former solider who was in sleep deprivation exiperiments and could 'project' dreams. I thought it was the first one with Kychek, too.
    There was a episode called 'sleepless' back in series 2 or 3. That could be it.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I imagine they'll squeeze a non campy one in too, it seems like they're going the greatest hits path which should be fun.
    I completely agree. I think there was a thought that this could be it. The last film under performed, David and Gillian have very busy careers, X-Files hasn't been on television in over a decade. So I think the writers want to fit all of the X-Files elements in these six episodes. They have 2 book ending Alien Conspiracy episodes, they had one had a dark conspiracy episode not featuring aliens, they had a comedy one, I'm sure one of the next two non-alien episodes is going to be an out and out horror. Leaving a probably straight Monster of the Week episode.

The ratings on this series have been great, so I'm pretty sure we can expect more. I'd like 10 - 13 next time, allowing them to not have to cram everything they want to do into six episodes, but I believe (or I want to believe) that they'll be less tempted to just pull out the greatest hits.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

This week's was interesting, a basic monster mayhem one that actually housed an emotional arc for Scully. Classic X-Files, kind of like "Beyond the Sea".

I'm really curious if they have plans for their child William, or if they would actually save that for a cliff-hanger. They haven't announced a season 2 (or I guess 11) but with ratings holding so steady it seems like FOX would want it badly.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 02-09-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Fantastic Member

Excellent episode of X-files last night. I was a big fan of the original series, and this new Season (10) hasn't disappointed.

The "Trash Man" was quite horrific; this really reminded me of the better "monster of the week" characters from the classic series. Very well-done.

This episode was especially poignant due to the passing of Scully's mom - very sad. I remember family/parentage was very important in the original series re: both Mulder & Scully.

Also liked the reference to William, the baby that Mulder & Scully had - who they gave up for adoption.

When I saw the title of this episode was "Home Again", I wondered if we were going to be revisiting the Peacocks (from the infamous season 4 episode "Home"). When the trash man was outside the woman's house at night in the rain while "Downtown" was playing, even though I'd given up on the theory at that point (and was incorrectly assigning that song to my memory of "Home", which actually used "Wonderful! Wonderful!"), I still kind of wondered.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Astonishing Member

Ewe... The peacock brothers... *suppressing a strong urge to shower* Not sad it wasn't them.

That was pretty sad... I'm really surprised they're talking about William so much, I'd practically forgotten him... It's gotta be foreshadowing, and not sure how they're going to resolve that?

Edit: my phone changed eww to ewe. Lol funny autocorrect.

Spectacular Member

Seems like their son is tying the season together. I do like that better than just having 6 random episodes and then out.

When I watched Founders Mutation, I thought the episode meandered into a non-ending, and the reveries about their son just muddled things. I now see that this last episode was originally intended to be the second episode, and Founders Mutation was supposed to be #5. If someone is going to binge watch this, I think the original order might make for better viewing, especially if the finale picks up this thread.

The son stuff has been falling a little flat for me, kinda feels like it would work if they had more time to focus solely on that aspect (like 10 episodes instead of 6). Anyway, the imagery of the Trash Man getting back into the back of the garbage truck after each kill was fantastic.

I now see that this last episode was originally intended to be the second episode, and Founders Mutation was supposed to be #5. If someone is going to binge watch this, I think the original order might make for better viewing, especially if the finale picks up this thread.
    As DJaryia notes on DVDTalk "If you recall in the episode [Founders Mutation] Skinner said to Mulder and Scully in his office: "Welcome Back"" Skinner wouldn't be welcoming them back to the FBI in episode #5 of 6.

Also:
    "Founder's Mutation" is the second episode of the mini-series, but it was shot fifth in the production schedule. The show's science adviser, Anne Simon, tweeted that Chris Carter and "all agree [the] story flows better this way." There's precedent for The X-Files airing out of production order, an occasional practice that began in season four, often to accommodate actors' schedules.
    http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/x-fil...episode-2.html

It was Chris Carter's decision on what order to air these in. It's not FOX messing around.

I think it also makes sense for the William subplot to have the two imagining him separately in #2 without speaking to each other about him before they finally have a big conversation together about him in #4.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 02-10-2016 at 06:25 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Mulder needs to get his story straight on tulpa. He educated us on them and identified one in Arcadia (Season 6), made of landfill trash soil.

But in Home Again, nope that prior lesson Mulder gave us was wrong and tulpa isn't the right word and the right Tibetan world tulku can't be right either.

(but if tulpa is a mistranslation and tulku can't be right as Tibetans have no concept of thoughtform, then isn't the mistranslation, the Western idea of a "tulpa" the most correct term again absent Mulder giving us the correct term for whatever the creature was?)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-10-2016 at 10:13 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    As DJaryia notes on DVDTalk "If you recall in the episode [Founders Mutation] Skinner said to Mulder and Scully in his office: "Welcome Back"" Skinner wouldn't be welcoming them back to the FBI in episode #5 of 6.

That's not much of a chronological issue since he hasn't been seen in the following two episodes. Also, Skinner says that after a wink a nod and a favor. It works in that context. But yes that line was obviously (as in, you can hear the difference in the audio) later, so perhaps it was to establish a chronology.

Also:
    "Founder's Mutation" is the second episode of the mini-series, but it was shot fifth in the production schedule. The show's science adviser, Anne Simon, tweeted that Chris Carter and "all agree [the] story flows better this way." There's precedent for The X-Files airing out of production order, an occasional practice that began in season four, often to accommodate actors' schedules.
    http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/x-fil...episode-2.html

It was Chris Carter's decision on what order to air these in. It's not FOX messing around.
    I guess this is a response to someone else who was implying that Fox was messing around with the show? Does not change my opinion at all.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Mulder needs to get his story straight on tulpa. He educated us on them and identified one in Arcadia (Season 6), made of landfill trash soil.

But in Home Again, nope that prior lesson Mulder gave us was wrong and tulpa isn't the right word and the right Tibetan world tulku can't be right either.

(but if tulpa is a mistranslation and tulku can't be right as Tibetans have no concept of thoughtform, then isn't the mistranslation, the Western idea of a "tulpa" the most correct term again absent Mulder giving us the correct term for whatever the creature was?)
    The Shadow (Alec Baldwin) told you everything you need to know about Tulpa

I guess this is a response to someone else who was implying that Fox was messing around with the show? Does not change my opinion at all.
    I was emphasising that this is Chris Carter's chosen order for the series. You said:
    If someone is going to binge watch this, I think the original order might make for better viewing, especially if the finale picks up this thread.
    This is the order the series creator has chosen, and even edited the episodes to work in.

Not trying to pick a fight, just saying I think this order works better.