View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Astronauts In Trouble #5

0 0%
  • The Covenant #4

0 0%
  • East of West #21

8 25.81%
  • Faster Than Light #2

1 3.23%
  • The Fuse #15

0 0%
  • I Hate Fairyland #1

4 12.90%
  • Low #10

4 12.90%
  • Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl #3 (of 6)

1 3.23%
  • Roche Limit: Clandestiny #5 (of 5)

0 0%
  • Savior #7

1 3.23%
  • Sex Criminals #13

1 3.23%
  • Switch #1

2 6.45%
  • The Walking Dead #147

3 9.68%
  • The Wicked + The Divine #15

6 19.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Image Comics poll week 42 - Switch & I Hate Fairyland debut!

It's already the 42nd (someone summon the ghost of Douglas Adams!) week of the year in which we vote for our fave Image comics & chat about them!

Last week was a packed one, but you wouldn't know it from our poll. Seemed like a very clear consensus: everyone's reading Paper Girls and liking it. The new Chiang/BKV series took nearly half of all votes, easily blazing past usual favourite Southern Bastards.

This week, most series coming out are in the middle of their storylines. But notable issues include Low #10, which is ending the book's second story arc, Savior #7 marks the penultimate issue that has been announced so far - perhaps we'll soon hear if it will continue, and Roche Limit: Clandestiny wraps up the second volume in the Roche Limit trilogy.
    In reprint-ville, Sattelite Sam is getting the omnibus treatment, Wayward gets an oversized hardcover complete with foldout poster, and Death Vigil gets collected for all those Stjepan Sejic fans.

Speaking of Sejic, his popular creation Switch finally makes it to print. This has been described as the "Ultimate Marvel" version of Witchblade, and is a popular webcomic already. Also new this week is Skottie Young's I Hate Fairyland; perfect for everyone who likes his work on Oz and Rocket Raccoon, but feels like those are just missing a smidge of bloody cartoon violence and swearing.

230282.jpg 230252.jpg

The Walking Dead
    Low
    East Of West

That is stiff competition, I don;t know how I will decide. Underdog is Sex Criminals on the off chance the big 3 all are slow this month.

Only Walking Dead and East of West for me this week. Not sure who'll win this one...

Just Wic + Div for me this week. I was interested in Switch and the new Phonogram, but there's only so many $4 comics I'm willing to pick up in a week. I'll wait for a slow week to try out Switch and probably tradewait for the rest of Phonogram.

East of West, I Hate Fairyland, and The Wicked + The Divine for me this week.

Also picked up Manifest Destiny #3.

I'm reading the walking Dead too but I'm only up to #105. So I won't be buying any new ones for a while longer.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Slow as heck week for me in the Independent scene, with one Image and one Vertigo title. Here's how it looked...

The Twilight Children #1
    I Hate Fairyland #1 (Group review on this one, so you'll get a variety of views on it)

Wasn't that much of a fan of I Hate Fairyland. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it wasn't all that great either.

Now, The Twilight Children on the other hand was frickin' amazing. Gilbert Hernandez and Darwyn Cooke worked amazing together and delivered probably one of the best new Indie books I've read in a while. Even better than Paper Girls to me. The comic did and accomplished so much by often saying so little and just letting the artwork speak for itself. I loved this comic and frankly, if you are looking for a good new Indie mini-series to try, check this one out.

I voted The Walking Dead, it made me cry. When Rick and Michonne feel pain, I feel pain.
    Low and East Of West tried, but couldn't cut the mustard this month.

Wic+Div #15 was interesting this week, but I think how good it is depends on how much credit you're giving the writer. Because viewed one way, it seems like it's another hint toward there not actually being that much of the divine inherent in our pack of gods, but viewed with less generosity, it's a hair off from celebrating Japanophilia. And I have a feeling I'm not going to have a verdict on that until the next big plot reveal or even later. Leaning toward the former, though; Gillen's had his fair share of brainfarts on the page, but the man generally does his research.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Now, The Twilight Children on the other hand was frickin' amazing. Gilbert Hernandez and Darwyn Cooke worked amazing together and delivered probably one of the best new Indie books I've read in a while. Even better than Paper Girls to me. The comic did and accomplished so much by often saying so little and just letting the artwork speak for itself. I loved this comic and frankly, if you are looking for a good new Indie mini-series to try, check this one out.
    Nice, looking forward to reading this one! Although I'm a little annoyed at the pricetag, 5$ is kinda steep for a single issue. Lumberjanes is also 5$ this week, but with both of them I'm pretty sure they'll be (mostly) worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Wic+Div #15 was interesting this week, but I think how good it is depends on how much credit you're giving the writer.
    Not really a related question here, but have the guest-artist issues begun already? I'm not reading WicDiv month to month but might wanna try one or two of the fill-in issues out.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Slow as heck week for me in the Independent scene, with one Image and one Vertigo title. Here's how it looked...

The Twilight Children #1
    I Hate Fairyland #1 (Group review on this one, so you'll get a variety of views on it)

Wasn't that much of a fan of I Hate Fairyland. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it wasn't all that great either.

I almost never read minis but Twilight Children does look really good, I might pick this up.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Only Image comic this week I'll be buying is Skottie Young's I Hate Fairyland #1. I haven't read it yet, but it might just be my vote by default. I'll check out Switch #1 and see how that is, but I haven't followed any of Sejic's other series, and I think Switch was mentioned to have character crossovers from other comics and DeviantArt related media.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Nice, looking forward to reading this one! Although I'm a little annoyed at the pricetag, 5$ is kinda steep for a single issue. Lumberjanes is also 5$ this week, but with both of them I'm pretty sure they'll be (mostly) worth it.
    Unless it's something special -- a character/creative team I can't say no to, a super-sized done-in-one -- $5 is a deal-breaker. At that price, it seems a better deal to order the trade off Amazon and take the pre-order discount. $15 for a trade vs $5 for a floppy feels much more reasonable to me.

Not really a related question here, but have the guest-artist issues begun already? I'm not reading WicDiv month to month but might wanna try one or two of the fill-in issues out.
    Yeah, they've been going on for about three months now, I think? They've all been really good-looking books. Stephanie Hans was on board for #15. The story was a little obnoxious, imo, but it was really easy on the eyes.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 10-15-2015 at 02:30 AM.

Spectacular Member

@samurai jack only characters in switch are top cow universe characters. i don't mess around with comics.

The Wicked + The Divine #15 was alright. It's getting great reviews, but I dunno, aside from the Tara issue, this current arc isn't lighting a fire under me.

So I'll throw in with East of West, it's smartly written, beautifully drawn (though I'm ready to get back to Death and Babylon and the Horsemen, please)
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

EoW #21 got my vote this week, great Doma filled issue.