Super Moderator

Default Vaughan & Guerra's "Y: The Last Man" in Development as TV Series at FX

Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra's "Y: The Last Man" has landed a television series following plans for a film adaptation, which fell through at New Line.

Full article here.

One of the best Vertigo titles that isn't Sandman. Truly hope they stay true to the series. I've seen a few takes on this Last person alive premise and none have lived up to this series.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cray_ws View Post
    One of the best Vertigo titles that isn't Sandman. Truly hope they stay true to the series. I've seen a few takes on this Last person alive premise and none have lived up to this series.
    Looks like BKV himself is working on the adaptation, so it should stay reasonably true to his vision. And he has plenty of experience in television. (Hopefully it will be better than "Under the Dome" though.)

I expect they will change the title, to avoid getting mixed up with "Last Man on Earth."

I also expect that the storyline of the TV series to diverge quite a bit from the comic, as they balance episodic content with "mythos" content.

Still waiting for my Holy Grail of Vertigo adaptations... Transmetropolitan.

Anyway, time for the fantasy casting to begin.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Good news, this series lends itself way more to a TV series than a film.

BANNED

It always should have been a series. I think networks are realizing that comic book TV shows do way better than comic book movies.
    FYI: Not talking about superhero movies.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

AWESOME!! What's funny is that I just recently read the complete series and I thought it was a great book. I loved all the options for what caused the plague. Not to mention it had so much depth to it. Not to mention great characters to boot. The villains always had great complex reasons that made their motive seem so unique. I can't wait for this.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Default Awesome!!!

What's funny is that I just recently read the complete series. I loved all the depth to it. The characters were great and not to mention the villains were complex and had interesting motive. I also loved how the book lets you choose what caused the plague. I can't wait for this.

Edit: Crap I double posted. Man I don't know why but my post didn't show earlier.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra's "Y: The Last Man" has landed a television series following plans for a film adaptation, which fell through at New Line.

Full article here.

A good rule of thumb is one page of a comic = one minute of TV/film. (Varies based on actual content, of course.) And thus a 20-22 page issue roughly half of a one hour drama (which is actually 43-45 minutes of content, a little less when you remove titles and credits).

So 60 issues = 30 episodes = 1.5 seasons, 2 seasons with only a little expansion of existing plots. Once you start adding in new subplots -- and Vaughan may well have things to feed directly to the crew of ideas he didn't have the space to get to in the comics -- it's easy to see three seasons, not unlike the movie trilogy they wanted to create early on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by soundskinky View Post
    A good rule of thumb is one page of a comic = one minute of TV/film. (Varies based on actual content, of course.) And thus a 20-22 page issue roughly half of a one hour drama (which is actually 43-45 minutes of content, a little less when you remove titles and credits).

So 60 issues = 30 episodes = 1.5 seasons, 2 seasons with only a little expansion of existing plots. Once you start adding in new subplots -- and Vaughan may well have things to feed directly to the crew of ideas he didn't have the space to get to in the comics -- it's easy to see three seasons, not unlike the movie trilogy they wanted to create early on.
    I can see about 5 seasons, with two trades filling one season.

Only because the cliffhanger with the astronauts would be a perfect season-ender.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Yes!!! Worth the wait.

BANNED

Should make a great pilot, as I rank issue #1 as the single most epic first issue of any comic book series ever.

Really hope this pans out. I love Y: The Last Man. I think it's one of the best comic series to come out in the past 15 years. Given the success of the Walking Dead, I think it would be a perfect TV series. Given the 60 issues of material, I didn't really think a movie or even two could squeeze in all the elements that make this story great. A TV series on FX would be perfect. Really hope this doesn't get stuck in development hell like so many other efforts. A series like this deserves better.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I'm not sure we should expect this show to mirror the comic much more than The Walking Dead mirrors its comic. Assuming this show will be open-ended and not finite (e.g. "Five seasons and done"), it will have to have a very different architecture from the comic. Lots more episodic content, probably a bigger cast of characters. TV writing staffs want to tell their own stories, not just transcribe someone else's.

Same main characters, same basic premise, but other than that anything goes.

As long as BKV is involved with its creation I think it's more likely than not to be a good show, but I'm not really expecting to see the comic reproduced faithfully on the screen.