View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 601 of 1444 FirstFirst ... 1015015515915975985996006016026036046056116517011101 ... LastLast
Results 9,001 to 9,015 of 21656

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I agree that Tomasi did a good Damian, but he is not even close to doing him as well as Grant did in Batman and Robin and Batman Inc.
    What did he do with him exactly? Made him a teenage mutant ninja turtle with no personality. A spoiled brat that constantly lashed out. Been there done that. Everything, He and Dick would start to get close, it was like Morrison thought: Oh hell no! I'm not sure he was even really in Batman Inc. all that much until the end.

That said, the best thing Morrison did was kill him. There was a tad bit emotion there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Morrison created the character, but I don't think he "owned" him in the way Frank Miller "owned" DD even though Stan Lee created him.

Just my two cents. I did enjoy Batman and Robin and Batman Inc.

I just think Tomasi did a better job writing him.

Has anyone seen a revised solicitation for the 3rd Johns Green Lantern omnibus? I would expect issues 61-67 to be included..

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Wow, I'm not sure what Batman you were reading but if you wanted a bland and generic - and unoriginal - Damian then look no further than Morrison. He created a been there done that before bratty side kid. Tomasi gave the kid a voice and he obviously understands father - son relationships - something no other writer before or since him in the title has figured out.
    Well you and I and others read Morrison's Damian quite differently...Morrison did a wonderful gradual dynamic nuanced Damian over B&R and Inc, and Damian's most powerful emotional scenes. He gave Damian this very unique aristocratic voice and attitude (that only Bryan Q Miller seemed to really reproduce) and hit him with the perfect little touches of irony and humor and humanity. Grant is much better with characterization and is gradual and hides it in small touches. Anvil Tomasi just went straight to nearly Tim Drake Jr with Damian with his overly sentimental cheesy bland same old stuff.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    There was a deluxe released over a year ago, so not very likely.
    Plus the Deluxe included material not found in the Absolute edition.

The same thing happened with the Planetary Omnibus. More content in the Omnibus than in the two Absolute editions.

What did he do with him exactly? Made him a teenage mutant ninja turtle with no personality. A spoiled brat that constantly lashed out. Been there done that. Everything, He and Dick would start to get close, it was like Morrison thought: Oh hell no! I'm not sure he was even really in Batman Inc. all that much until the end.

That said, the best thing Morrison did was kill him. There was a tad bit emotion there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Morrison created the character, but I don't think he "owned" him in the way Frank Miller "owned" DD even though Stan Lee created him.

Just my two cents. I did enjoy Batman and Robin and Batman Inc.

I just think Tomasi did a better job writing him.
    I loved the way him and Dick worked together, the whole switch in the dynamic between Batman and Robin played so well. At points he is totally a spoiled brat, but as it went on he grew and gained more and more respect for Grayson, they just worked so well together even in Inc right before he died the final little team up with Grayson was great.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-81EDXmVvUx...0.21.56+AM.png

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I loved the way him and Dick worked together, the whole switch in the dynamic between Batman and Robin played so well. At points he is totally a spoiled brat, but as it went on he grew and gained more and more respect for Grayson, they just worked so well together even in Inc right before he died the final little team up with Grayson was great.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-81EDXmVvUx...0.21.56+AM.png
    Yes, the part you site was brilliant. I definitely can't argue with that but overall I don't think he was consistent at all.

It's really not worth debating. I'd love a Tomasi omnibus and you might not. I'm sure we'd both love a Morrison omnibus, though.

Yes, the part you site was brilliant. I definitely can't argue with that but overall I don't think he was consistent at all.

It's really not worth debating. I'd love a Tomasi omnibus and you might not. I'm sure we'd both love a Morrison omnibus, though.
    I also want a Tomasi one, I really enjoyed what Tomasi did and thought he nailed the father/son dynamic. Morrison was more of a brother/brother almost a mentor type of thing. Tomasi did a wonderful job, I believe Morrison said he wanted Tomasi to take over as they worked well together and if so he made a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    Has anyone seen a revised solicitation for the 3rd Johns Green Lantern omnibus? I would expect issues 61-67 to be included..
    Here's what's listed on the back:

GL Omni 3.jpg

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

GL Omni 3.jpg
    My concern with the contents of volume 3 has always been that the New 52 Green Lantern series was involved in a couple of crossovers (Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern) at the end and I worry about the readability of those events considering all the non-GL issues of those crossovers seem to be omitted.

Spectacular Member

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/...t-iii-further/

DC's apparently cancelled the starman Vol 3 TPB again for some reason. Maybe it was an cruel April Fools joke they forgot to actually say was a joke? Was Didio really disappointed in the reason C-3PO has that red arm? In seriousness, it really sucks they've done this as I was really looking forward to finally reading this series without robbing a bank to pay for it. I would try and track down the 10 TPB's from before but I know how difficult DC found it back then to collect a series in sequential order....

Maybe they'll re solicit again in 5 years time and actually follow through (third time's the charm, Right?) or maybe it was cancelled for something better, like an omni or knowing DC, an absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben11345 View Post

DC's apparently cancelled the starman Vol 3 TPB again for some reason. Maybe it was an cruel April Fools joke they forgot to actually say was a joke? Was Didio really disappointed in the reason C-3PO has that red arm? In seriousness, it really sucks they've done this as I was really looking forward to finally reading this series without robbing a bank to pay for it. I would try and track down the 10 TPB's from before but I know how difficult DC found it back then to collect a series in sequential order....

Maybe they'll re solicit again in 5 years time and actually follow through (third time's the charm, Right?) or maybe it was cancelled for something better, like an omni or knowing DC, an absolute.
    I was going to say this was only just solicited to comic book stores, but when I look at the Previews catalogue and order form, there's no sign of it. So they're not even basing the cancellation on early retailer orders. Very odd.

Edit: It was solicited for a June release, not July. Maybe it was low orders after all. Or maybe a crafty sales person in DC is doing this to generate buzz and get readers to ask retailers to order a copy. Then DC can "bow" to public demand and print it after all. Or maybe I'm paranoid from exam stress LOL.
    Last edited by Brian; 04-14-2016 at 02:28 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ben11345 View Post

Wow, so did Blackest Night Unwrapped get cancelled again? It was supposed to come out next week. Hopefully that was a mistake or it gets resolicited (again).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

GL Omni 3.jpg
    Awesome; thanks for confirming that.

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    My concern with the contents of volume 3 has always been that the New 52 Green Lantern series was involved in a couple of crossovers (Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern) at the end and I worry about the readability of those events considering all the non-GL issues of those crossovers seem to be omitted.
    You are exactly right. For anyone picking up this omnibus, the final chapters of Johns' run will make no sense due to major plot points being found in other books, not to mention the entire Third Army storyline wrapping up in another book.

DC screwed up when releasing the original new 52 trades, then screwed up again with this omnibus.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm getting Johns GL Vol 3 for now, but I am gonna start to map it for a custom bind, to see if it's feasible to create a 1 volume better version/replacement.

I already custom bound Blackest Night to stand in for Vol 2's too incomplete version (too incomplete for me with no GLC and Atom & Hawkman and etc).

Seems DC was determined to end with 3 Omnibi, refusing to go more complete and perhaps extend it to 4. As DC proves with its Tales of/Legends of Batman creator trades, it struggles when one big creator's work is so tangled up with the works of others that you need include those other works or you've made a bad collection.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-14-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”