View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 673 of 1444 FirstFirst ... 1735736236636696706716726736746756766776837237731173 ... LastLast
Results 10,081 to 10,095 of 21657

Quote Originally Posted by Master Destructo View Post
    Depends on where they draw the line (I've seen Batman 103 and Detective 236 from October 1956 being designated as the start of the Silver Age for those titles). From my rough calculations, seems like it'd take a total of around 11 or 12 volumes to collect all the Golden Age issues including Detective and Batman as well as the issues of World's Finest, Star Spangled, All-Star, etc. that feature Batman during the Golden Age. Again, just a rough estimation based on the number of issues.
    An interesting idea would be if DC began to do alternating age Omnis. It would be nice to have one golden age then one silver age omni. I'm not a major fan f the golden age batman but still enjoy if they completed the entire batman/detective golden age. Silver age Batman would be great to see new omnis from and personally for me Bronze age would be great also. The character of Batman I personally think needs to be the book with the most omnis/ohcs coming out because of his rich history with such great stories.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Honestly...I'd rather we get a Palmiotti/Gray Omnibus of Jonah Hex than the bronze age stuff(although, I'd buy it still).
    This. Instant buy for me.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlecHolland View Post
    An interesting idea would be if DC began to do alternating age Omnis. It would be nice to have one golden age then one silver age omni. I'm not a major fan f the golden age batman but still enjoy if they completed the entire batman/detective golden age. Silver age Batman would be great to see new omnis from and personally for me Bronze age would be great also. The character of Batman I personally think needs to be the book with the most omnis/ohcs coming out because of his rich history with such great stories.
    Or, you know, more modern age stuff. Right now DC is putting out 2-3x more omnis from material 50+ years ago. Which is great for those interested. But i have to believe there's a much larger market out there who are hungry for DC to put the same effort into producing stuff from the last 30 years in this format.

I mean, what have we gotten in the last year? Gotham Central, Johns GL v3 and Perez WW (which was almost a year ago exactly) with only Knightfall on the horizon, 8 months away.
    Last edited by awayne83; 08-15-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    There are no plans for Silver Age Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman. Yet. And that's because DC is going in order from the Golden Age forward because the source material is becoming so scarce.
    Hahahahahaha!
    What a bunch of horse $*&!
    If they've got the material now, they'll have it next year. It's not scarce.
    The truth is, it's easier and cheaper - not only product-wise but having to pay royalties - to reprint this "golden" age crap than it is to reprint modern stories.
    Like someone else said: We've had three or so "modern" omnibus collections in the past year. We'd probably have more but DC has pretty much collected everything Johns and Morrison have done, except for the company's flat out refusal to collect Morrison's Batman in an omnibus.
    I'd say it doesn't make sense, but it is connected to the same company that produced that turd known as BvS, so . . .
    My two cents.
    Humbly.

Actually they have film from all the modern stuff (anything from the 70's on i believe). In order to take advantage of digital they need to restore these old books. Restoration that costs quite a bit of money on an omnibus full of GA Superman Batman and Wonder Woman comics. This is really great news though. Think about hitting 1950 in 2018. At two volumes a year if they keep it going it'll actually go faster as you go through the decades I'm told since the page counts of the comics go down.

This is a lot more impressive to me than an omnibus of a run that's post 2000 and available in lots of different formats already.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Has there been something said to the issue that they will not get Omni'd?
    If not then just because they haven't been announced yet, doesn't mean they won't be. Patience.
    No I just figured someone from DC checks in on these boards so I'm asking for the Jonah Hex and Sgt. Rock omni, to put next to the Swampthing.. I think fans of new Hex would be surprised how good the old stuff is, even the caption boxes are a pleasure to read, unlike some stuff from back then. Likewise, I was impressed by how good the Palmiotti/ Gray stuff is and hold them next to the Punisher books by Ennis. I hope the Golden Age stuff is not being reprinted to avoid royalties.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Actually they have film from all the modern stuff (anything from the 70's on i believe). In order to take advantage of digital they need to restore these old books. Restoration that costs quite a bit of money on an omnibus full of GA Superman Batman and Wonder Woman comics. This is really great news though. Think about hitting 1950 in 2018. At two volumes a year if they keep it going it'll actually go faster as you go through the decades I'm told since the page counts of the comics go down.

This is a lot more impressive to me than an omnibus of a run that's post 2000 and available in lots of different formats already.
    Weren't all these older runs already collected in the dc archives series? Or did they not go back that far?if thats the case, they've already been restored and its not costing them anything to reformat. I have to agree that the royalties (or lack there of) issue is a huge factor in this
    Last edited by awayne83; 08-15-2016 at 06:21 PM.

The Superman Archives went to about 1945 so your only talking a few volumes before restoration work will start to be needed. I can understand not liking the time period. I personally could live without anything past the late 90's being put in omnibus. I think the main thing is DC is well behind Marvel digitizing the back catalogue and they want to play catch up get that done starting with the big 3.

DC made bad contracts in the Bronze age and had a lot of problems making affordable reprints, so you got a lot of GA and SA to go with the modern stuff leaving BA really rare. I think they must have been renegotiating for a while now since were seeing a lot more from that time period being collected now.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    No, but a lot of us on here would love one. I personally don't see it happening, but who knows.
    Even though I own all the single issues, I'd still buy this

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Restoration is a sunk cost. These materials (golden age comic books) are aging and they weren't made to last in the first place, so the time pressure is real. DC does the restoration work now or it loses them forever, and if it loses them forever it loses the ability to make money off them forever, not just for the release of a few collected editions now. They aren't considering the cost of restoration into whether or not they print a book just now, I promise you. They're doing the restoration work anyway, and publishing books they think will sell with the completed restorations as they become available.

With the cost of restoration it makes sense that we are mainly seeing DC A & B listers. Right now DC is at a point where they can grow with their movie universe and dc rebirth being a hit. I think if they continue to grow and gain more popularity they will start putting out more obscure title in their omnis. Right now with Green Lantern, the Flash, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman their sticking to what they know will sell. Hopefully we'll see them begin to branch out into characters like Aquaman, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Sgt. Rock and more. (DC PLEASE DO A MOORE SWAMP THING OMNI!!!) DC's history is such an amazing work that it should be only a matter of time before we begin to see lesser known titles.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecHolland View Post
    With the cost of restoration it makes sense that we are mainly seeing DC A & B listers. Right now DC is at a point where they can grow with their movie universe and dc rebirth being a hit. I think if they continue to grow and gain more popularity they will start putting out more obscure title in their omnis. Right now with Green Lantern, the Flash, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman their sticking to what they know will sell. Hopefully we'll see them begin to branch out into characters like Aquaman, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Sgt. Rock and more. (DC PLEASE DO A MOORE SWAMP THING OMNI!!!) DC's history is such an amazing work that it should be only a matter of time before we begin to see lesser known titles.
    *they're sorry for the typo

The problem with that is it takes up slots and if they slow the books down too much you end up repeating the Archives. Lots of volume 1's, C listers didn't sell enough to get more volumes, volumes from various lines slowed so much people lost interest, no more archives.

I think time will be the only way to really know whats gonna happen, I'm just happy it seems to be true that they are really gonna try on the big three and look at anything else as a bonus until they are done.
    Last edited by Tony; 08-15-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Incredible Member

I'll never understand the lack of Absolute or Omnibus editions of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. Wouldn't it sell? Aren't DC aware? Is there any series more deserving?

Yeah . . . still not buying the cost of restoration. It seems like an in-house thing but maybe I'm wrong. Regardless that shouldn't stop them from publishing newer material. I'm still convinced it's cheaper to move the golden age stuff up because the royalties are cheaper.

In addition, a ton of the Superman and Batman stuff has been collected before. Granted, maybe not so much Supergirl.

Anyway, not trying to be argumentative. Personally I hope everything gets collected at some point, but I'm a firm believe that they should mix it up.