View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Can I ask if the "Batman by Doug Moench & Kelley Jones Vol. 2" is worth getting if you don't own Vol. 1? That one seems to be currently oop.
    If you're a fan of Kelley Jones' art, I think it is.

Neither volume is the most coherent read, however, what with crossovers being so prevalent at the time. There's definitely some good, self-contained arcs, but it's usually only a few issues before the next event tie-in pops up.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    If you're a fan of Kelley Jones' art, I think it is.

Neither volume is the most coherent read, however, what with crossovers being so prevalent at the time. There's definitely some good, self-contained arcs, but it's usually only a few issues before the next event tie-in pops up.
    The material in Volume 2 is very much self-contained with nearly zero crossover interaction. Only the first three issues take place during "Zero Hour", but there's no interaction with "Legacy" (which happened immediately before) or "Cataclysm" (which happened immediately after).

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    The material in Volume 2 is very much self-contained with nearly zero crossover interaction. Only the first three issues take place during "Zero Hour", but there's no interaction with "Legacy" (which happened immediately before) or "Cataclysm" (which happened immediately after).
    Ah, I stand corrected.

TBH I haven't busted open my copy of Vol. 2 yet, so I should have differentiated my comment as based on Vol. 1...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    Zero Hour? That takes place before volume 1 (Batman #511 and #0, they take place between KnightsEnd and Prodigal), the first three issues of Moench/Jones volume 2 have no connection to Zero Hour. The first issue, Batman #536, is technically a Final Night tie-in, but other than passing references to there being no sun it has little connection and if it didn’t have the banner, you’d probably not even notice. But yes, “Legacy” and “Cataclysm” happen on either side so you’re right, it’s pretty coherent. As I recall, volume 1 only has the first issue being part of “Troika” and then a “Contagion” tie-in, right? So it’s not too bad either.

I always felt the whole run was pretty readable as its own unit, Contagion and Legacy being the only crossovers and all you really have to know is there was a virus in Gotham, people died. I consider the real start of the run taking place after Troika, as that was just housekeeping after all the KnightSaga stuff.

Fantastic Member

So excited to see that Giffen's Legion 5 Years Later getting collected!! I hope it finds the support it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    So excited to see that Giffen's Legion 5 Years Later getting collected!! I hope it finds the support it deserves.
    Pre-order it! And then pre-order 697 more copies for your closest friends... because I have a feeling we may not see this make it to print.

But I hope I'm wrong.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Isn't it a shame that Morrison's run on JLA isn't in omnibus format?

Can someone please tell me the best way to collect this? I noticed there's 4(?) tpb volumes of his run, taking it up to issue 46. Does this volume have a nice end-cap to it or does the story just continue on with Waid?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by j0nnyboy; 12-06-2018 at 12:54 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    Zero Hour? That takes place before volume 1 (Batman #511 and #0, they take place between KnightsEnd and Prodigal), the first three issues of Moench/Jones volume 2 have no connection to Zero Hour. The first issue, Batman #536, is technically a Final Night tie-in, but other than passing references to there being no sun it has little connection and if it didn’t have the banner, you’d probably not even notice. But yes, “Legacy” and “Cataclysm” happen on either side so you’re right, it’s pretty coherent. As I recall, volume 1 only has the first issue being part of “Troika” and then a “Contagion” tie-in, right? So it’s not too bad either.

I always felt the whole run was pretty readable as its own unit, Contagion and Legacy being the only crossovers and all you really have to know is there was a virus in Gotham, people died. I consider the real start of the run taking place after Troika, as that was just housekeeping after all the KnightSaga stuff.
    Yes, of course it's "Final Night", not "Zero Hour". There simply are too many events to keep them all apart ...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post

Can someone please tell me the best way to collect this? I noticed there's 4(?) tpb volumes of his run, taking it up to issue 46. Does this volume have a nice end-cap to it or does the story just continue on with Waid?

Thanks for the help!
    Volume 4 ends Morrison's run with WWIII (it has a sense of wrapping up to it) then includes one Waid arc - Tower of Babel - which is worth reading at some point. We've seen solicits through August w/no Morrison JLA omni in it, so I'd guess these are the best way to go for the time being
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Where can I see these advanced solicits?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Where can I see these advanced solicits?
    I think the link was posted earlier in the thread, but just in case: https://www.edelweiss.plus/#catalogID=4333960&page=1

According to Bleeding Cool, DC has cancelled the Adam Strange Silver Age Vol 1 paperback, and Sleeper Vol 2 paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post

Thanks for the help!
    It's not a shame, because it is already collected in the exact same oversized hardcover format.

It *is* a shame that the entire JLA series has not been collected in omnibus form, from Morrison through the great Tower of Babel and beyond.

I'm sure it will soon.....just picked up the last of the JLA tpb's. Any day now the solict will drop....
    "When you have to shoot...shoot, don't talk" Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    I'm sure it will soon.....just picked up the last of the JLA tpb's. Any day now the solict will drop....
    thanks for your sacrifice to the cause