View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 570 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 704705205605665675685695705715725735745806206701070 ... LastLast
Results 8,536 to 8,550 of 21662

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Warning, the 52 omni does not contain the backups, so if that bothers you get the tpbs
    Cheers, I can't even remember the main story, let alone the backups, so that shouldn't be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisko View Post
    I'm reading the zero omnibus right now. It's...ok. Some of the issues are really good. Some are pretty bad. And a lot lead directly into the the next issue. Which isn't contained in the book. Which is a little frustrating. I'm also surprised the Harley 0 is no where to be found. The binding is pretty good. It's sewn. Not glued and sewn. But with a book this big it took over 100 pages for the book to lay flat. I'm not done with the book yet but I suspect it will be a read once and never touch it again kind of book.
    I think I will give it a miss then, wasn't sure if they were all connected into a bigger story, but it doesn't sound like they were

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I'm reading the zero omnibus right now. It's...ok. Some of the issues are really good. Some are pretty bad. And a lot lead directly into the the next issue. Which isn't contained in the book. Which is a little frustrating. I'm also surprised the Harley 0 is no where to be found. The binding is pretty good. It's sewn. Not glued and sewn. But with a book this big it took over 100 pages for the book to lay flat. I'm not done with the book yet but I suspect it will be a read once and never touch it again kind of book.
    The Harley Quinn series started in 2013 whereas the Zero Omnibus was published at the end of 2012 hence the lack of Harley #0.

If I'm not mistaken, the Omnibus contains 56 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Cheers, I can't even remember the main story, let alone the backups, so that shouldn't be a problem

I think I will give it a miss then, wasn't sure if they were all connected into a bigger story, but it doesn't sound like they were
    Nah, the zero omnibus just collects all the #0 issues for dc new 52 zero month. Which was one-shots about the heroes early on in their careers, or before it. They were all pretty miss, id be more interested in the villains omnibus which is more of the same thing but just one shots about the villans, they were alot of misses their aswell but more hits than zero year.

i'm toying with getting the 52 omni, i had it when it came out weekly and seem to remember it was ok, but what is the quality like with the omni? wavy pages? gutter loss?

Also whats the story with the zero omni, which i haven't read, what's it about? any good?
    can't speak for the zero omni but it's a collection of N52 one shots made by editorial demand so.....

As for the 52 omni, while I don't have the omni, I have the original paperbacks and I love the story. Of course it's superhero stuff but well constructed and it is one of those events where the creators actually worked together and it shows.
    The omni is probably typical DC omni. Tight binding but good paperstock and black cardboard cover. Also it is over a thousand pages so it's just a huge block.
    But there are new paperbacks coming out (2 chunky ones).

I don't know if the backups were included in the original floppies, but in the trades after every issue there's 2-4 pages of bonus stuff, 1 page from one of the creators (usually Rucka, Waid or Keith Giffen) talking about the process that went into that week. And a couple of pages from either the script or original pencils, or pencils/layout of pages that got changed/revised.

Personally, I went with the tpbs b/c that was the way I had originally read it and I didn't want to lose out on the extras in buying the omni. I believe someone here once posted a file that had all the extras which they printed out to supplement their omnibus.

Nah, the zero omnibus just collects all the #0 issues for dc new 52 zero month. Which was one-shots about the heroes early on in their careers, or before it. They were all pretty miss, id be more interested in the villains omnibus which is more of the same thing but just one shots about the villans, they were alot of misses their aswell but more hits than zero year.
    Agreed. I read a number of the villains ones and some were pretty good.

All-New Member

I am thinking about jumping into The Sandman. Without taking price into consideration too much, which HC version would people recommend? I know there are the Absolute, Annotated and Omnibus but don't know the real differences/advantages of each version.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat2576 View Post
    I am thinking about jumping into The Sandman. Without taking price into consideration too much, which HC version would people recommend? I know there are the Absolute, Annotated and Omnibus but don't know the real differences/advantages of each version.
    Absolute or Omni, whichever format you prefer. Annotated is b&w, and the annotations aren't even by Gaiman.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post

The Harley Quinn series started in 2013 whereas the Zero Omnibus was published at the end of 2012 hence the lack of Harley #0.

If I'm not mistaken, the Omnibus contains 56 issues.
    Thank you Raffi. That makes sense. I know Harley has an issue in the Villains omni. That's probably my next read. I got the Zero and Villains omnis for cheap from the Hamilton Group sale that someone posted a few pages back. However, reading these huge books makes me hope that DC doesn't put out a Snyder Capullo Batman omni. I hope they crank out a few more absolutes. I much prefer that format from DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat2576 View Post
    Without taking price into consideration the absolute edition is the superior version. Absolutes are DC's top of the line production. Compared to the omnibus it has the largest page size, thicker paper, the best binding, more extras (forwards, afterwards, sketches, scripts, reproductions of promotional flyers and posters etc.). The omnibus is a nice book as well, one of the nicest DC has made, and it's a touch more affordable. Annotated sandman is for people who already have the series and want to read it with the commentary.

If you've never handled a DC Absolute before you might not want your first one to be part of a 4-6 volume set, that's a bit of a big commitment. Lots of people find them too large and heavy to read comfortably (not that you wouldn't have the same problem with the omnibus).
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 03-07-2016 at 03:22 PM.

I just finished Absolute Batman: Court of Owls, and liked it much, much better this time through.

I am not the biggest fan of Scott Snyder; his narration often grates and there is something pretentious about his presentation of "secret histories" and "game-changing revelations." That said, reading through the Absolute made these flaws much less bothersome, and Capullo's art is just fantastic oversized. I really think the presentation of an Absolute can elevate almost any story.

I wonder if we'll see any additional volumes of Snyder's run? They didn't label this "volume 1," so maybe this will be a one-off.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    I just finished Absolute Batman: Court of Owls, and liked it much, much better this time through.

I am not the biggest fan of Scott Snyder; his narration often grates and there is something pretentious about his presentation of "secret histories" and "game-changing revelations." That said, reading through the Absolute made these flaws much less bothersome, and Capullo's art is just fantastic oversized. I really think the presentation of an Absolute can elevate almost any story.

I wonder if we'll see any additional volumes of Snyder's run? They didn't label this "volume 1," so maybe this will be a one-off.
    I feel the same about Snyder, didn't even like Black Mirror that much and his N52 Batman pissed me off every time I've read it.
    I was literally raging when Endgame started and then quit reading. Don't even know why I continued up to that point.
    But Capullo is fantastic but I doubt I would pay the price of the absolute just for his art.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I feel the same about Snyder, didn't even like Black Mirror that much and his N52 Batman pissed me off every time I've read it.
    I was literally raging when Endgame started and then quit reading. Don't even know why I continued up to that point.
    But Capullo is fantastic but I doubt I would pay the price of the absolute just for his art.
    I agree about endgame, was soooo soo excited to read it and...meh. I feel like it just didn't go anywhere, the revelationn wernt that surprising and it was just boring. Synder was my first batman run i ever read and the first read through up to zero year was pretty good. Court of owls being the best, death of the family was just ok and zero was pretty good. Waiting for the next HC to come out this month, hopefully itll be better than endgame but well see.

Next im gonna pick up gates of gotham. Would you guys say its better than his N52 run? I really liked black mirror.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Thank you Raffi. That makes sense. I know Harley has an issue in the Villains omni. That's probably my next read. I got the Zero and Villains omnis for cheap from the Hamilton Group sale that someone posted a few pages back. However, reading these huge books makes me hope that DC doesn't put out a Snyder Capullo Batman omni. I hope they crank out a few more absolutes. I much prefer that format from DC.
    No worries mate. I also picked up the Zero Omnibus at clearance (from cheap-comics).

I didn't want the Villains Omnibus as I didn't take to any of the 15 or so issues I read when they were initially released. I felt as if each issue was trying to outcompete the others in terms of violence and gore. IMO, they would have been better suited under the Vertigo label.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I agree about endgame, was soooo soo excited to read it and...meh. I feel like it just didn't go anywhere, the revelationn wernt that surprising and it was just boring. Synder was my first batman run i ever read and the first read through up to zero year was pretty good. Court of owls being the best, death of the family was just ok and zero was pretty good. Waiting for the next HC to come out this month, hopefully itll be better than endgame but well see.

Next im gonna pick up gates of gotham. Would you guys say its better than his N52 run? I really liked black mirror.
    Gates of Gotham is pretty weak imo. But then again, I didn't like Court of Owls as well so you might enjoy it. It's generally considered his most forgettable Bat-work though.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47